The Veggie Thread

I have a question for you Dan, what oil do you use for cooking? Or do you use soy milk? What's the healthier oil for cooking?

I keep hearing nasty things about so called 'healthy' oils like canola oil, made in Canada (which is what I'm currently using, actually).
I got olive oil some time ago but was told cooking anything with that is actually quite unhealthy and damaging to the heart. As in good only for raw salads? I've read on the topic but is still quite confusing..

I'm pretty much as confused as you are, I've heard it also depends on some oils being "neutral" in taste such as sunflower, and others having a distinguished taste such as olive oil, I've heard coconut oil takes a lot of heat without scorching so it's good for high temp cooking, but that's pretty much all I know so far, I pretty much use olive oil for everything because I live in Spain and that's we do here hahaha

Recently, I've decided to go veggie for one day a week. I'll probably do more if I can find some great recipes.

Last week I made a Chick Pea curry, it was amazing. Didn't miss meat at all!

Recently, I've decided to go veggie for one day a week. I'll probably do more if I can find some great recipes.

Last week I made a Chick Pea curry, it was amazing. Didn't miss meat at all!

This is a good start !

Also, besides cooking your own stuff, depending on where you live (and if you are not on a budget) you can get some nice vegetarian food for cheap/a decent price : Libanese (Falafel, Hummus, ...), Indian (Lentil Curry, Vegetables Samosa...), Tex/Mex (stuff with beans, guacamole...), Japanese/Chinese/Vietnamese (Fried Tofu, Seaweed, Vietnamese Pho Soup with tofu and soy, ...), Morrocan (Veggie couscous with chickpeas...), ...

aubergine

slice it thinly

fry them with oil and salt, well done

put them on a plate

chop 2 cloves of garlic, very chopped

some chopped parsley, more than you would

add raw to the plate along with a whole lemon juice

thank the libaneses

This is very simple. I did not even know that ginger and banana go well together

Banana-ginger smoothie.
1 Banana
Thumb size piece of fresh ginger (or as much as you can take)
1 dl of milk of your choice. I used vanilla soy milk.

Blend!

Some lime or lemon juice will work in here too.

Homemade hummus and guacamole for the win !

By the way, in hindsight, here's what got me into thinking about animal rights, veganism and stuff, years ago :

It all rooted from this sick-ass song, by this sick-ass band, with a massive production by... Andy Sneap :)

If it was not for this song/this band i guess i'd be eatin' some McDonalds right now, have a huge belly, feel "bored" and getting fucked-up on whiskey or pot.

Last edited by a moderator: