The vexation of changes

LastAngel

New Metal Member
Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I do not consider myself to be a diehard listener, but I have an ear for this sort of thing. When I first heard Angel Dust I was certain they were my band, all other bands were weak and lacking. I know how crucial a guitarist can be to a band, and any change in that respect can throw the whole thing off. This is old news to everyone reading this, but I still cant believe Bernd is no longer playing. I mean I will never feel good about it, because I dont like to see band members leave when they are an integral part of the band. I heard the new album Of Human Bondage, and had it been the first AD cd I had heard, I might have liked it. But, I had listened to a different AD which came before. I have heard some say that the "new sound" is basically the sound which defined them in the first place. I do not agree with this, and think that they have shifted directions. The absence of Bernd is no doubt a huge contribution to this, because I believe he wrote most of AD's music back when he was with them. I have nothing bad to say about Ritchie, I dont even know him that well. I just know that the new AD is not the same, and if you dont see it like I do than I really dont care. You will not see Of Human Bondage in my CD case, where only the first 3 albums will be. If anything was possible, I would want Bernd back in the band. I like his guitar playing, because it was characteristic of AD. He was the one who created that style of playing, and who could do it better? All in all, I do not like the new album and I need not get into a foolish argument with someone about it. We are entitled to our opinions, or there is always those losers who try to flame people because they have no lives. Anyway, if any of the AD band reads this, this is a message from a true AD fan requesting for Bernd to return. It may sound stupid, but I do not hear AD anymore. I hear songs from the new album and I hear someone else, and I turn it off.

sorry you feel that way last angel....you are gonna miss a lot of good music....don't get me wrong ,I like bernds playing also...but I'm not going to say F.U to the rest of the band because he's not in the band anymore...a true fan would understand this. :mad: :)

Originally posted by 13th angel
but I'm not going to say F.U to the rest of the band because he's not in the band anymore...a true fan would understand this. :mad: :)

I kind of disagree here. I won't say a F.U to the rest of the band as well but I was quite sad when Bernd left the band (and I still am). I don't think a "true fan" has to understand all a band is doing. If that was the case than I'm not a "true fan" and even that is fine with me.
In fact, as I already stated in another topic, I had difficulties getting into the new AD disc and it's not as great as its predecessors. I can understand what LastAngel feels.

I got the new AD CD about a week ago (finally) through buying online. I hate to be a fan who's like complaining all the time... but honestly, this new album isn't much of what I expected... I personally own Border of Reality, Bleed, Enlighten the Darkness, and this new Of Human Bondage. From BoR to EtD, they've been improving and music has been more and more amazing. Although I know many ppl say their best album was Bleed, I personally think that EtD is the BEST album they had because it's melodic, emotionally intense, and beautiful. Yes, I was also sad to see Bernd go, but I do understand different ppl have different directions they wanna work in life, so I still waited for this new album to see how AD is growing...

Well... as I mentioned before, this album was something different from what I expected... Hope ppl wouldn't mind my comment on stuff, but here's what I think. This new album isn't as melodic as EtD. Maybe this is what the band actually wants, so I guess it's cool if that's what the band wanna become. For most of the songs, the Chorus melody is very nicely thought out. They're mostly very melodic and intense. BUT, most verse riffs tends to be weird. Excuse my example... take Unreal Soul for example... Yes, it does have a nice melodic chorus. But the intro&verse riff is just bizarre IMHO. Then we get into the very nice chorus, and once the chorus is done, you get this weird lead guitar riff stuff that destroys the melody right there. And also... what's up with those "echo voice" they made for that song...

The Ballads are not bad, they're some good experimentations and I have a chance to hear some progressive acoustic guitar riff instead of piano like in EtD (e.g. I'm Still Bleeding) Now... speaking of piano/keyboard, this instrument is being used "more" in this album. However, to me, it isn't played to fit the song very well. A lot of times, you'll just hear these weird techno sounding stuff starting from the middle of nowhere or before a song. Some keyboard are nicely done, like the chorus of Disbeliever. But some techno effects are just not really needed in other songs. And also, I don't hear as much "piano" sounding material in this album. Great ballads with awesome use of piano like in Still I'm Bleeding are not present in this album. I myself is a piano player, so maybe that's just a very subjective opinion right there... sorry about that ;)

Lastly, I just wanna say a few things about the guitar. Basically, the riffs are nicely played. They're heavy and fast if needed and also merge with the songs pretty well. If I'm suggesting some room for improvement, then it would be the design of guitar solos. AD has always given me a feel that they're able to make concentrated (not long) guitar solos while giving a tasty and beautiful while strong feeling to it. Almost all the songs in EtD have that unique feeling. For the solos in this latest album, honestly they sound repetitive mostly. It's like a few different chord scales being repeatedly played. I don't mean that Ritchie can't play good stuff, I'm just suggesting an alternative design for guitar solos for later songs.

Thx for reading this everyone. Sorry for the long paragraphs and btw... these are just how I feel. I'm sure some would disagree with me, and that's cool. Voice out what you think if you also have some to say about these here. For members of ANGEL DUST, keep up the good work and I look forward to your coming productions. :)

:yell:help!!!!!!!!! I am so alone on this board.....I need some backup people..I can't hold the fort forever:lol: :loco: I am trying to be diplomatic about this.....anyways.......at least you had a very civil way of expressing you unhappiness enlighten.....I guess I Just don't get it...my favorite is" Bleed" just by a little, the others I love equaly(ETD,Border,O.H.B) I don't expect each cd to be Just like the other.I love the piano parts as well,but I don't expect all their songs to have the intro to bleed in them either .I enjoy every thing that angeldust does because they are a diverse band ,all their cds don't sound the same to me and in my opinion thats the way it should be:cry: ok I'll stop crying now:lol: peace.......

lol, sorry 13th angel, don't mean to be "opposing you" or anything. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents on things. And yea, I still enjoy AD's albums, including this new one. :)

I like the new one as much as the other three (five!), but I do not like to compare the new with the old ones. Sure I was sad when Bernd left AD, but I think Ritchie does a great job too. Of course tastes are different and I think it's good to see all different thoughts.
I'm very open minded, because I listen to many different music styles. So I always expect an musical change of a band, when a musician leaves and a new one joins...

I see than I can get back to this subject, at the moment I have probs sitting to long infront of the computer, due to my accident. It can also take awhile to answer on post, due to the fact that I need a surgery and won't be able to be online... :cry:

so, finally: here we have a very nice discussion thread =)

i'll just put a short post, because the most stuff just has already been said. i've had this discussion for several hours with a friend of mine. we're both amazed by the new album. but we both still criticize on every song. but i DO love the album. it fits in the situation AD was in and went through, the 'weirdness' as one of you put it, can reflect the band's near history. and than there's all this stuff like: which ideas would they take from the material they already wrote with bernd. so the album had to be in some way different to the others. and ritchies influence certainly had to have some inpact on songwriting. as we've heard, the writing took place in a very short period and the process itself was decribed as agressive by ritchie in an interview. so... i think, that's where this thrashy influence comes from. and i do expect the next album to be calmer and not that thrashy anymore. but still more advanced in some way. like a band advances and takes several new aproaches. that's the way to stay yourself without covering yourself. this is not easy. but we will see, if my thoughts will become true next year, i hope.

to which player is better: that's a question one can't answer. i would have liked bernd to stay in AD, just because i HATE when bands split up. i really hate this. but seemingly it had to be. and i think ritchie IS cool. i've seen the guys (with ritchie on guitars) live on christmas already and i really enjoyed. so i'll hopefully do on some locations on the tour in progress. and that's what counts most, imho.

hello daniel.....I wish you and silkie would post more often...it gets lonely sometimes......lol hope you are feeling better silkie and I wish everything goes well in the operation....take care........John

Thanks John, Wednesday is the day, until then I try to come around every day for a quick visit. I have to keep everything online to the minimum, because I have probs sitting infront of the puter. My leg hurts after few minutes.

Daniel you are exactly correct. Nobody likes to see their favorite band loose a member for whatever reason. Keep in mind, Ritchie isn't trying to "replace Bernd". If Ritchie had the same sound and songwriting style as Bernd then that would mean Bernd wasn't anything special and could be easily replaced. I'm sure you would agree that IS NOT the case. Like Bernd, Ritchie has his own sound and songwriting style so now it is up to the band members to take what Ritchie has to offer and incorporate it into the Angel Dust music that you all love so much. Of course, the first album is going to receive both positive & negative reviews from magazines and fans. Change is often hard to accept but hang in there you never know what the future holds. If you can, try to make it to a live performance. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

welcome "angel duster"....you have a good point also,a band that loses a guitar player will have a different sound, thay has always been the case....I think richie has done a superb Job of making the new cd sound like vintage Angel dust......I don't know ...maybe I am the only one who feels this way.....by the way...I know you have to be cool because you are from the same state as my other favorite band Iced Earth!!!

Originally posted by Angel Duster
If you can, try to make it to a live performance. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

That's for sure. I already saw them playing with Ritchie and I enjoyed it like all the gigs before :)

like gaunerin i've been (as i already said) in bochum last christmas, too to see them. and ritchie was over here in germany to perform with the guys. i've seen them live on at least 6 concerts so far and am member of the FC and have as such a member been on the bandmeeting last year and know very well what's going on. and i -as said- love the new album. and i'll probably be on at least 2 concerts in the next weeks. i just wanted to let you have part in the thoughts and discussions about pro and contras of such changes i've had with several of my friends.

and i'm so touched about kohn missing us around here =)
hope to see you some time fate leads me to the states again or makes you strand here in germany some time.