the Vikings

Strangelight said:
whats this heavy metal obsession with Vikings? Were vikings any good? or just dirty rapist thugs?

viking.jpg

he feels envy , hehehehehe :Spin:

total lie....there was a metal band on in the albion last night - death metal, granted but metal nonetheless....
picture the scene if you will: standard english pub, darkwood tables, patterned wall paper, gold light fixtures, mirrors on the walls and various shitty pictures that refer to local history, and then these five guys pick up there weapons or choice and from the first bang of the drum the whole crowd shut up - a mixture of the most elated faces who were totally chuffed that they were playing and flat-cap wearing indie ppl cringing at the eardrum bursting, pint glass shattering fucking ground shaking roars coming form the lead vocalist. then the lead guitarist gets up on the bench with one foot on the back of it and rips out some sheer class solos. vocalist takes teh hint and too gets on a table to roar his bollocks off........VERY SURPRISINGLY they won!!!! :headbang: decent bands never win this local battle of the bands thing - but this could be the turning point!!!
i'll stick the link up for the ep download when i find my flyer :lol:

blackeyed said:
total lie....there was a metal band on in the albion last night - death metal, granted but metal nonetheless....
picture the scene if you will: standard english pub, darkwood tables, patterned wall paper, gold light fixtures, mirrors on the walls and various shitty pictures that refer to local history, and then these five guys pick up there weapons or choice and from the first bang of the drum the whole crowd shut up - a mixture of the most elated faces who were totally chuffed that they were playing and flat-cap wearing indie ppl cringing at the eardrum bursting, pint glass shattering fucking ground shaking roars coming form the lead vocalist. then the lead guitarist gets up on the bench with one foot on the back of it and rips out some sheer class solos. vocalist takes teh hint and too gets on a table to roar his bollocks off........VERY SURPRISINGLY they won!!!! :headbang: decent bands never win this local battle of the bands thing - but this could be the turning point!!!
i'll stick the link up for the ep download when i find my flyer :lol:

I was waiting for a Viking related punchline.
but it never came

the death metal band Nile have something with ancient Egyptians
also the black metal band Limbonic Art made an Egyptian album
off course Morbid Angel and the Ancient Ones from early Sumerian civilisations

most bands who acclaim that style never really get deep into the matter if u ask me.
most things i hear or read off them, like Melechesh, Summoning or Nile, just stay on the surface of the themes. merely trying to label theirselves with a sound and the elements used are mainly means to acquire some evil image - as in satanic (a christian p.o.v.). These ancient civ's they make use of in that image dont share that typical christian interpretation of good and evil.
actually, these bands pick a side of that - in most cases representing some 'evil one'.
but isnt it that those civilisations just saw the rulers of their world as of harmony between gods of chaos and ones of order?
not particularly favouring one side or the other?