The Village

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
So I saw this movie yesterday. It is not just another 'Signs' with monsters instead of aliens. It has a "point" behind the movie, much like all Night's other movies. He doesn't really make the point behind his movies subtle, but in reality his movies are all about entertainment. He's not exactly David Lynch.

For some reason I've seen a few reviews by people that just HATED The Village. The only reviewer I trust is the guy that does all the Rolling Stone reviews. He gave it 3/4 stars. I agree.

Anyway . . . I thought the movie was good, but not as good as the rest of his stuff. Definitely worth the money, though.

Best movie of the summer is The Bourne Supremacy (so far). Maybe I should have said "Best Summer Movie", though; because I never see all the independant movies until they're on video.

I thought about putting this in the Movies thread, but I wanted to help RC's thread count. I'm just a helpful kinda guy like that.

We all dream of surpassing the larger forums at UM in terms of thread count, so thank you.

It seems there's always a group of people that just hate this dude's movies, but I've loved them all, and look forward to seeing this one in the theatre. I hope it makes me pollute my britches with delight.

NAD said:
We all dream of surpassing the larger forums at UM in terms of thread count, so thank you.

It seems there's always a group of people that just hate this dude's movies, but I've loved them all, and look forward to seeing this one in the theatre. I hope it makes me pollute my britches with delight.
Pollution will be yours!:hotjump:

I'll be seeing it. I've liked all his movies so far, especially Signs and the untouchable Unbreakable.

Yeah, Bourne Supremacy was very good.

I just got back from seeing it...The first half of the movie would have been most excellent if I didn't know what the twist was already. M. Night really should have stayed clear of showing the "monster" though... I think I was the only one in the theater that laughed when they showed the "monster" before he chased Ivy.

Fucks sake - I'm not coming back into this thread until I've seen the movie. That's the problem with Shymalan movies - it's better if you go in knowing NOTHING about it. I mean, imagine telling someone who hasn't yet seen the ending of Sixth Sense where it turns out that Bruce Willis is in fact a black man. :loco:

Mildly diverting story about how The Sixth Sense was completely ruined for me...

A few years ago, when the excitement over the upcoming release of Star Wars Episode 1 was at it's absolute peak, a school friend of mine named Stuart Statham (we called him Charlie, can't remember why) actually went on holiday to America with the intended purpose of seeing that movie. When he came back a fortnight later, he began to hand around a 17-A4 page story that he had written in the quieter moment of his trip. It was an impressively composed suspense/supernatural thriller with killer twist on the final page. I remember thinking that the dialogue was excellently written for a sixteen year old (I was a bit of an English genius, and it was better than I could have written), but the descriptions of the surroundings were somewhat vague.

Anyway, everyone gushed over the story, Charlie got praised to the heavens and back, and everyone went on with lives, mildly chuffed at the fact that we clearly had a budding literary luminary in our midsts.

Fast forwards some months. The Sixth Sense appears in the theaters, and I go to watch it, rather intrigued. Approximately half an hour into the movie, I begin to realise with a sense of crushing disappointment that Charlie must have seen the US release of the film on his holiday, and his 'story' was nothing more than a plagiarised cobbling-together of his recollection of the movie. Cue a wasted two hours, and later a severe wedgie for Charlie.

Charlie, whoever you may be, you total wanker!! :kickass: :lol:

Still, it works for Tarrantino. :D

By the way, for those who have seen "The Village", I urge you all to see "Don't Look Now" starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie. It came out the same year as The Exorcist (1973) and was totally overshadowed, but it's still a great, great horror movie from the decade where cinematic horror was at it's finest.

Anyway, I'm sure Shyamalan was influenced 'somewhat' by this 70's flick when making The Village. If you know the two films, you'll know what I'm saying.

dill_the_devil said:
Wasn't that the one with the creepy girl in the red dress?
Yes. I just thought that similar contrast of all the colours was interesting, with red being especially significant. Kinda like Schindlers List as well I suppose.