The Wall of Ypres...

I can't check out the pic right now (website maintenance or some nonsense) but thought this would be as good a place as any other to mention - Heaven Ablaze Records has Witching Black Records Compilation Vol. 1 featuring WoY (even though they're listed in the distro as "Woods of Pyres")... just in case any of you rabid collectors want to pick it up. :)

http://users.tpg.com.au/ritual/cds.html

When I saw your first two pressings of the original Against the Seasons, I went and checked on my copy. It appears that I have a third version. It looks mostly like the first one, except instead of a white label with black writing on the CD, it's a colour-print label with white and black writing overtop the album cover. The other difference I noticed is the address is the Windsor address versus the Toronto address. If I had to guess, I would say my copy is the second run and your second run is actually a third. I'll try to get some pictures of it and post them for you.

So David, can you shed some light on this? If it helps, the copy I have used to be Adrian's. After he passed, his brother had to sell the collection and he used a dealer on eBay to sell everything. I picked up quite a few things, including this copy of the Woods I demo. I always thought of it as being the first pressing but as I said it differs from the one in the above collection.

This has been eating away at me all night so I thought I'd take the pictures right away:

woods1-1.jpg

woods1-2.jpg

woods1-3.jpg

woods1-4.jpg

woods1-5.jpg

woods1-6.jpg

One other thing, your slideshow says that the Woods 1 cassette was limited to a run of 300, but the tape I have is "039/50" and in my album database I recorded what Dave had said (either here or on Facebook):

"To celebrate the 6th anniversary of the critically acclaimed and much loved first WOODS OF YPRES recording, "Against the Seasons: Cold Winter Songs from the Dead Summer Heat" (commonly referred to as "Woods 1"), I have released a very limited edition of this recording on cassette (only 50 copies). This is a one time only pressing. They are hand numbered and autographed. For a copy send $15 (shipping included) via paypal to: woodsofypres@hotmail.com or check/money order/well hidden cash to: David Gold, 44 Poplar Ave, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada, P6B 2W7. Thanks and see you in the mail!"

Awesome pics-- and even more awesome that it was Adrian's.

Yeah, the cassette thing I'm not sure about-- as it did come out via NightBird Records in some fashion-- or at least was supposed to-- so I don't know.

I had this same question when I got my tape (#1 mind you, *rubs it in*... hahaha) and here is the answer David shared with me...

Good question! So here's the story...

About a year ago, the main dude from a kind of famous metal band from Romania (how many can you name?) offered to release "Woods 1" on cassette in Europe on his cassette label, 'Night Bird Records'. The deal, as we understood it, was he would print 300 tapes total, and send us 75 of them for us to sell, distribute, give away, etc... A few months later, I get a little envelope in the mail with 50 some tape covers, only, no tapes. Meanwhile, I see his tapes show up on a number of distros lists, but I never actually saw what they look like. The covers of ours went into a box...wtf was I about to do with 50 tape covers but no tapes??? Why would I agree to that?

A year and a half later, and back in Canada, I get Troy @ Storm Musician Services in B.C., Canada to print me up some white tapes to go along with my tape covers to finally make use of these things. Timing was cool here, to coincide with the 6 year anniversary of the album (first released in September 2002). The tapes that I have are numbered 1-50 on both the cover and the cassette label itself, + autographed and packed up myself.

A vinyl release is next!

Yeah, I seem to recall that-- I have tried to pick up the 'original' version of the cassette from a couple other lo-fi vendors but they could never produce the cassette, so I don't know if they ever really existed in the first place.

Haha what a crazy story! I did a few searches (nothing exhaustive) last night and couldn't find anywhere where I could buy the tape. Ah well, I much prefer limited to 50 than limited to 300. I feel like we are part of a very exclusive club. =)

Haha what a crazy story! I did a few searches (nothing exhaustive) last night and couldn't find anywhere where I could buy the tape. Ah well, I much prefer limited to 50 than limited to 300. I feel like we are part of a very exclusive club. =)

Yeah, man! Member #17 speaking :)

Hmm, a six year anniversary tape, with 1/6 being released out of the planned 300. Would be pretty evil to be the owner of copy #6.... :D