The wine thread

CIMG3907_zpsqn9pvnl2.jpg

CIMG3863_zpsvdluto3i.jpg

CIMG3863_zpsvdluto3i.jpg.html

CIMG3862_zpsmcko5tyx.jpg

CIMG3861_zpslvgjzlh0.jpg

CIMG3856_zpsmnzensru.jpg

CIMG3857_zpsj3ob40cg.jpg

Prefer shiraz and malbec, but am fine with pinot noir and cab sauv when being cheaper than usual. Merlot is a no-go. Pinot grigio if I have to do white, and maybe moscato in the summer. I don't spend above $8 a bottle unless on a date. If I'm going to spend $10+ I might as well get beer or liquor.

I'm cheap (poor too), so I drink wine out of the box most of the time. It's not bad for having as the end of the day glass or two (yes, connoisseurs, I understand this is sacrilege). Box wine hangovers teach you well to not over indulge.

:lol: Carlo Rossi is terrible! I made the mistake of trying their Cabernet Sauvignon: it tasted like 10 bags of sugar were poured into a watered down barrel. Franzia is my super-cheap go-to--that's not to say it's very good

There are some half decent box wines out there, like Black Box. Of course, good wine is in an entirely different category, but $5 a bottle for a very decent dinner wine isn't bad.

My mom is basically the wine version of me. I love good, earthy reds. Tempranillos, Grenache, Old Zins, Mourvedre (though they're kind of hard to find solo...they're usually blended with other reds)...basically any red out of Spain and Portugal is my jam.

I just put up a new wine rack for my mom yesterday, bringing her storage space to 220 bottles:

The original wine rack
WchY2sF.jpg

The new one
JB8tsB7.jpg

You hopefully know this but.. you know most wines aren't meant to be aged, right? Only certain wines benefit from long term storage. And they have to be at a certain temperature, and in the dark. If those are just a bunch of random wines you might be destroying their flavor. Most wines are meant to be drunk asap.

You hopefully know this but.. you know most wines aren't meant to be aged, right? Only certain wines benefit from long term storage. And they have to be at a certain temperature, and in the dark. If those are just a bunch of random wines you might be destroying their flavor. Most wines are meant to be drunk asap.

Oh yeah. The room is in a basement, so the light was only on for the picture, and the temperature is consistent. My beer is stored down there too (the main reason I care). She knows not to age the majority of her bottles for too long. Though she did pull out a 2005 somethingerother recently that was amazing

Reactions: Baroque
Had this a few days ago. Not a wine guy, so maybe some of you can enlighten me on wether this is good stuff or not., It's was sweet as fuck, which is definitely not a plus for me ...

LZ1B7DN.jpg
Port is fortified wine, which is to be sipped in very small amounts, usually at the end of the night. You should definitely not tip half the bottle into a beer glass and drink it like regular wine and then complain about it being sweet.