The World Cup 2014 Thread

I know anything can happen in a WC, but the US will have a really tough mission if they want to avoid coming home early. Brazil has a good group, as does Argentina. France got lucky in a way too.

I think there are three *real* tough ones:

Spain/Netherlands/Chile/(poor Australia)
Italy/England/Uruguay/(poor Costa Rica)
Germany/Portugal/US/Ghana

The US may look like a bad draw. The travel will do more damage then the actual matches. No question that Germany is the 800 pound gorilla. In their 10 matches in qualifying, Germany gave up 10 goals, 7 of them to Sweden in two matches. In fact, Germany only trailed ONCE, and that was the last match against Sweden (which Germany won, 5-3). Portugal is a very winnable match. Portugal actually trailed Luxembourg and Northern Ireland, and drew Israel and Northern Ireland, while losing to Russia. Take away Cristiano Ronaldo's heroics against Sweden in the playoffs, Portugal stays home. Ghana may be the real bad omen here. They only lost to Zambia and Egypt on the road in Qualification. Granted, The loss to Egypt really did not matter after Ghana tore them apart 6-1 in Game One. The defeat to Zambia may be more of an indication. They lost to a Zambia side that got beaten by Sudan (Which was overturned for an ineligible player on Sudan's end) and drew with Lesotho, which was annihilated 7-0 by Ghana in the opener. The USA plays Ghana in the opening match. If Ghana comes in playing like they did against Egypt, our boys are doomed. If Ghana plays like they did against Zambia, the USA will probably go 2-0 before playing Germany for group supremacy.

I know anything can happen in a WC, but the US will have a really tough mission if they want to avoid coming home early. Brazil has a good group, as does Argentina. France got lucky in a way too.

I think there are three *real* tough ones:

Spain/Netherlands/Chile/(poor Australia)
Italy/England/Uruguay/(poor Costa Rica)
Germany/Portugal/US/Ghana

Brazil got a tough draw....after the first stage......Spain ou Holland, than Uruguay or England or italy, than Germany, and the final Argentina.

So we're officially 188 days away and the first round draw took place today.

world_cup_draw_complete_custom-3ccdf763816d70da067b2cc4429bbf461490b42c-s40-c85.jpg

I would love to start the ultimate thread on the world cup. Today is a good day for that since the draw happened. Opinions? Thoughts? Predictions?

Any doubt the soccer Gods hate the USA? :lol:

PS Edit: Sorry Glenn, can you move it to the lounge? Thought I was posting it there.
-Milton
Got news for you, Milton, this year's World Cup is gonna be fun. Brazil will try to exorcise the ghosts of Ademir and Barbosa from 1950. No other team will be under as much pressure as Brazil. The problem is their road to the Final is a virtual suicide mission.

The real fun, however, is going to be in the groups that are weak but well balanced. Look at Group E: Don't be surprised if Honduras takes that group to the house. Ecuador can't win outside of Guayaquil or Quito. Switzerland won a ridiculously weak group. France is a wild card, but beat up on minnows, and needed Game Two heroics to beat Ukraine in the Playoffs. That HON-FRA match should tell the tale in Group E

You know, everybody talks about Group D like their are only 3 sides. Costa Rica is no slouch. Uruguay full and a half assed their way through the playoffs against Jordan, a side they should have scored 20 goals on the way Jordan played. Italy is notorious for playing to their opponents level (New Zealand 2010, anyone?). England is England, and they can finish last here.

I'll come up with more later. Meanwhile, get out the popcorn. This World Cup is going to be fun to watch. :headbang:

Got news for you, Milton, this year's World Cup is gonna be fun. Brazil will try to exorcise the ghosts of Ademir and Barbosa from 1950. No other team will be under as much pressure as Brazil. The problem is their road to the Final is a virtual suicide mission.

I know, it'll be LOADS of fun, man!! Don't even talk to a Brazilian about 1950. It's our biggest soccer nightmare. In fact, when Uruguay got qualified for 2014, they launched one of the most clever marketing campaigns I've seen in soccer (it strikes a chord with us, but I still think it's great). "The Ghost of 1950 is already back in Brazil."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLb3yIRA8AU

Anyways... Brazil has a really tough road indeed, but it would be magnificent to win it at home after going through so many difficult teams in the 2nd round.

The real fun, however, is going to be in the groups that are weak but well balanced. Look at Group E: Don't be surprised if Honduras takes that group to the house. Ecuador can't win outside of Guayaquil or Quito. Switzerland won a ridiculously weak group. France is a wild card, but beat up on minnows, and needed Game Two heroics to beat Ukraine in the Playoffs. That HON-FRA match should tell the tale in Group E

I am thinking Switzerland will go through with ease, France and Honduras will battle for the other spot. Probably France. In a world cup, we say in Brazil that "some shirts are heavier than others." Most of the time, the team with the most tradition goes through.

You know, everybody talks about Group D like their are only 3 sides. Costa Rica is no slouch. Uruguay full and a half assed their way through the playoffs against Jordan, a side they should have scored 20 goals on the way Jordan played. Italy is notorious for playing to their opponents level (New Zealand 2010, anyone?). England is England, and they can finish last here.

Agreed on all. England is England... that comment made me LOL.
This World Cup is going to be fun to watch. :headbang:

Looking forward to it more than ever. Only wish I could be there!

I know, it'll be LOADS of fun, man!! Don't even talk to a Brazilian about 1950. It's our biggest soccer nightmare. In fact, when Uruguay got qualified for 2014, they launched one of the most clever marketing campaigns I've seen in soccer (it strikes a chord with us, but I still think it's great). "The Ghost of 1950 is already back in Brazil."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLb3yIRA8AU

Anyways... Brazil has a really tough road indeed, but it would be magnificent to win it at home after going through so many difficult teams in the 2nd round.

I am thinking Switzerland will go through with ease, France and Honduras will battle for the other spot. Probably France. In a world cup, we say in Brazil that "some shirts are heavier than others." Most of the time, the team with the most tradition goes through.

Agreed on all. England is England... that comment made me LOL.

Looking forward to it more than ever. Only wish I could be there!

Milton,

Ta procurando ingresso para quais jogos?