World Cup 2014

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
May as well have a world cup thread like we used to :D

How're people feeling about Brazil 2014?

Who're you supporting? How do you rate their chances?

What about that opening match with the hosts against Croatia?

I think this World Cup has already been more entertaining than almost the entirety of the last one and it's taken me by surprise a bit. Teams are playing to win rather than being afraid to lose and it's been wonderful to see. I think since the opening game, the dirty tricks and play-acting have been at a minimum, however no doubt that ugly side of the sport will have its part to play sooner or later.

I'm supporting England and I think their group is wide open. I think playing Italy first could work out well as Italy tend to be slow starters in World Cups. England need to play without fear and for me, they have got to play the "poster boy" for this attitude, Raheem Sterling. An incredible talent who makes things happen, will always play without fear and hopefully be a positive influence on how the rest of the team play as well.

Some are saying this is a "transitional" World Cup for England and that they don't have match-winning players unlike sides such as Brazil, Spain, Germany etc. I don't think it has to be a "transitional" World Cup and I certainly don't agree that England don't have match winners. Sturridge, Rooney, Sterling and Gerrard, they're all capable of making something happen out of nothing. Sturridge is one of the best and most in-form Forwards at this World Cup.

The opening match was entertaining with a lot of talking points but it was horrible officiating and I really do think they were keen on giving Brazil the best chance of getting the win. Brazil seem to have become a more typical South American side with the attitude that everything is fair game as long as you get away with it. I think if they continue to play the way they are, they won't be winning over many neutrals. I do think they'll win the World Cup though as long as they keep Neymar fit. It's mostly the same squad that bossed the most recent Confederations Cup, including thrashing Spain in the Final. I think the fact that they played quite poorly against Croatia and still won 3-1 says a lot.

The Group B matches were fantastic. I can't help but be so happy that Spain, the most boring World Cup winning side ever, were ripping to shreds by the Dutch. As well as RVP and Robben, I was mightily impressed with Daley Blind. Interesting to see the son of Danny Blind (who was a Centre Back) playing as such a creative Midfield player.

Chile vs Australia was great too. It's amazing how Australia looked totally inept in the first 30 minutes or so, but then sprung to life, got a great goal back and in the end gave Chile a big scare. Cahill was phenomenal and the defenders could not handle him. In the end the 3-1 scoreline flattered Chile. Spain should be looking to exploit their shoddy defence in their next game.

It's a shame that opener was marred by some pretty dreadful cheating and bad refereeing. Still it's been an odd one so far with some surprise results. Brazil lacklustre and struggling in parts, Spain's hammering & Costa Rica besting Uruguay.

Now...England's first match:

It was always going to be a tricky match against Italy and I certainly didn't go in expecting a win. A draw would've been fine and I really think we deserved at least a draw. We were the most exciting team on the pitch and it seemed to me that the Italian's played boring football and only succeeded when they capitalised on our momentary lapses. It makes for a sense of moral defeat because I feel like the better team lost. The positives going forward are our brilliant attacking approach. Sturridge, Welbeck and Baines stood out for me last night. I'd love to see a bit more from Rooney and Gerrard who had quite meh games on the whole (what a cross though...he should have equalised for us though too). Our defence especially on that left side needs tightening.

Encouraging, we deserved to do far better, all eyes on Uruguay's form on Thurs.

It's a shame that opener was marred by some pretty dreadful cheating and bad refereeing. Still it's been an odd one so far with some surprise results. Brazil lacklustre and struggling in parts, Spain's hammering & Costa Rica besting Uruguay.

Now...England's first match:

It was always going to be a tricky match against Italy and I certainly didn't go in expecting a win. A draw would've been fine and I really think we deserved at least a draw. We were the most exciting team on the pitch and it seemed to me that the Italian's played boring football and only succeeded when they capitalised on our momentary lapses. It makes for a sense of moral defeat because I feel like the better team lost. The positives going forward are our brilliant attacking approach. Sturridge, Welbeck and Baines stood out for me last night. I'd love to see a bit more from Rooney and Gerrard who had quite meh games on the whole (what a cross though...he should have equalised for us though too). Our defence especially on that left side needs tightening.

Encouraging, we deserved to do far better, all eyes on Uruguay's form on Thurs.

Agree with most of this, but Sterling definitely stood out and created nearly everything, best player on the pitch by a country mile for me. Baines was OK going forward but I want Left and Right Backs to be able to defend and Baines wasn't good enough in that sense. Ashley Cole should have been taken and should have been the first choice Left Back and I've thought that ever since it was first revealed he wasn't being taken. Johnson is also a massive liability defensively but Welbeck covered him very well.

As for the rest of the World Cup in general, great to see the goals and the desire to win keeps on showing for every team, aside from Honduras who seem completely useless and nasty. Uruguay vs Costa Rica was fantastic. Joel Campbell is a heck of a player, I wonder if Wenger will be using him next season?

Looking forward to Germany vs Portugal and Ghana vs USA tomorrow.

I think from an English perspective...some hope for the future but the back 4 needs addressing as a matter of urgency.

Very impressed with Iran against Argentina...thought they deserved at least a point there and arguably deserved the win.

Argentina/Brazil/Italy/Spain....terribly disappointing but some of the lesser teams (or alledged lesser teams) like Costa Rica have been a pleasure to watch.....dark horse has to be Chile for me.

There's been some mad stuff happening this WC, definitely one of the most entertaining from memory despite England's abysmal crashing out.

Unexpected results so far:

Spain 1 - 5 Netherlands

Spain 0 - 2 Chile

Uruguay 1 - 3 Costa Rica

Italy 0 - 1 Costa Rica

Ghana 1 - 2 USA (after seeing Ghana's form this is now an unexpected result)

Germany 2 - 2 Ghana

USA 2 - 2 Portugal

Crazy results!

It continues to be an incredible World Cup, only way it'd be better for me personally would be if England could have progressed further.

Definitely agree regarding Iran, incredible effort from them.

Getting really excited for the prospect of the knock out stages, but also some of the final games of groups could get very interesting, especially Italy and Uruguay for qualification in Group D and Group G where anything could happen!

Suarez should be given a lifetime ban.

Get that fucker off the field no matter how talented he is, he's had three....THREE warnings. And he has the cheek to instantly trying to cheat his way out of it...zero class.

Suarez should be given a lifetime ban.

Get that fucker off the field no matter how talented he is, he's had three....THREE warnings. And he has the cheek to instantly trying to cheat his way out of it...zero class.

Agree 100%.

Also sad to hear about the Ghana situation, absolute madness considering how much effort they have been putting in and the fact that they can still qualify. Muntari is giving out money to homeless people one day and then apparently physically attacking people the next, crazy.

Arjen Robben....you diving bastard! About time someone was made an example of in this department I feel.

Felt Brazil were fortunate to progess against Chile as well.....it's a long time since I've seen a Brazilian centre forward as useless as Fred....might as well be Fred Flintstone up front!

Robben has always been a diver but for me Mexico were lucky to only have the one penalty given against them, Netherlands should have had 2 penalties before the one that was actually given.

A lot of people seem to have conveniently forgot the double foul on Robben in the box that somehow wasn't given. There have been previous matches with much more diving and attempting to con the officials than there was in the Holland vs Mexico game.

Brazil continue to be mostly ordinary and they rode their luck to get through against Chile. Colombia a well deserved win and even though it goes against my bet for Brazil to lift the trophy, I think this World Cup could be better off if Colombia beat them.

I thought Costa Rica were very disappointing against Greece for the majority of the game and ended up riding their luck to get through. Makes you think their wins against Uruguay and Italy were more about their opponents being awful than anything else. That being said they of course had a stonewall penalty not given when could have put them 2-0 in front at one stage.

It felt like Greece deserved to go through but they did have plenty of chances and didn't quite manage to take them, often thanks to Navas in goal for Costa Rica.

France vs Nigeria, considering Nigeria refused to train the other day due to a row over money and they've not exactly got a lot of quality anyway, I can't see anything but a France win.

Germany vs Algeria could be interesting. Algeria beat West Germany 2-1 in their very first World Cup match back in 1982 but I can't see them doing anything similar this time around.

So we're onto the Quarter-Finals now. For the second round matches, I felt half of them were great to watch and the other half not so great to watch.

I almost don't know how Argentina dare celebrate their win against Switzerland. I don't like Argentina even when they're good but they honestly might have produced the worst performance of the tournament by a winning side yesterday. I really hope Belgium stuff them.

Speaking of Belgium, their match against USA last night was one of the matches of the tournament for me and certainly the best second round match. It needed until the second half to get properly going but it was worth it. Such an amazing effort from USA but I think Belgium deserved their win, they just had that bit more quality. It was also possibly the most honest contest of this World Cup so far, with barely a bad tackle or any play-acting in sight.

Shame for the Yanks. Everyone loves an underdog story but they really earned their place in the tournament up to this point and I think while they would be crushed in the Quarters they showed moments of brilliance threatening to top Belgium. Look forward to seeing them in 4 years and how they develop.

That said any more wins from them and the fans would've been even more UNBEARABLE :p

For me Argentina, Brazil, Germany and France have flattered to deceive somewhat.......I've been far more impressed with the less fancied teams, even if they have their limits.

Hopefully Costa Rica and Colombia can cause some further upset......Costa Rica just need to play teams who will attack them so they can play on the counter.

So Colombia is out, despite a late penalty shot from James Rodriguez. The French quite underperformed earlier too. My prediction for the final is Germany vs Argentina, or maybe Germany vs Brazil.