The Year of the Voyager - opinion

Vincent J.

Dec 3, 2005
Arnhem, The Netherlands
I really have been looking forward to the first Nevermore dvd for over six years and fínally it's been released.
To be honest I really didn't like the previews of the dvd, so I was discouraged and very afraid to be disappointed. Especially the Narcosynthesis video made me fear the worst, but if I'm not mistaken it was shots of two different shows put over the sound of one, so it's no surprise that it looked like a picture collage.
Anyway.. I went to the store today and was lucky to find the last Ltd. edition of the dvd (for 40 euro's) and bought it immediately.
When I got home I got set well with my best headphones and put it on.
Till this moment I got my hopes up a bit again and rightfully so =)
In short: The DVD totally does Nevermore's live gigs full justice.
Where I first feared the way the dvd was shot was only an obstruction to getting the message across I now can say it only enhances the experience.
There are some subtle effects used like color filters, slow-motion/fast-motion, vibrating camera screens etc. All used very well that it fits with the song that's playing, just like the overall way the concert is shot. The cut goes really well with what kind of song is playing, so expect a good contrast between songs like Born and Dreaming Neon Black for example.
The thing that got me crazy watching the dvd was basically the performance itself. It reminded me that there's five extremely talented musicians playing perfectly together. They're incredibly tight. Especially the double guitarsolo's made me grin like mad :D Special props to Warrel for giving an intense performance while hitting all the right notes.
Here and there they have little changes in the music compared to the album version that make things more interesting. The two first things that spring to mind are the ending of the I, Voyager solo and the flageolettes in the chorus of DNB.
The setlist is amazing too and it's fantastic to hear some old songs being played with this quality and improved musicianship..

Phew, I'm glad it turned out this way :p
Anyone else watched it already?

i dunno... warrel has been good at the show but far from hitting all the notes ... are the learning and i am the dog taken from the bochum concert? because warrel fucked up the lyrics in both songs iirc

edit: i dont mind some overdubs if they are used in the right places.

[KOTNO]Narrot;7720059 said:
i dunno... warrel has been good at the show but far from hitting all the notes ... are the learning and i am the dog taken from the bochum concert? because warrel fucked up the lyrics in both songs iirc

edit: i dont mind some overdubs if they are used in the right places.

yeah, they're all from Bochum. I don't mind overdubs at all... it gives us a performance as good as the band wants if they didn't perform 100% to their ability that night. I'd rather have something that's near perfect than something that isn't.