The Year of the Voyager - opinion

I really have been looking forward to the first Nevermore dvd for over six years and fínally it's been released.
To be honest I really didn't like the previews of the dvd, so I was discouraged and very afraid to be disappointed. Especially the Narcosynthesis video made me fear the worst, but if I'm not mistaken it was shots of two different shows put over the sound of one, so it's no surprise that it looked like a picture collage.
Anyway.. I went to the store today and was lucky to find the last Ltd. edition of the dvd (for 40 euro's) and bought it immediately.
When I got home I got set well with my best headphones and put it on.
Till this moment I got my hopes up a bit again and rightfully so =)
In short: The DVD totally does Nevermore's live gigs full justice.
Where I first feared the way the dvd was shot was only an obstruction to getting the message across I now can say it only enhances the experience.
There are some subtle effects used like color filters, slow-motion/fast-motion, vibrating camera screens etc. All used very well that it fits with the song that's playing, just like the overall way the concert is shot. The cut goes really well with what kind of song is playing, so expect a good contrast between songs like Born and Dreaming Neon Black for example.
The thing that got me crazy watching the dvd was basically the performance itself. It reminded me that there's five extremely talented musicians playing perfectly together. They're incredibly tight. Especially the double guitarsolo's made me grin like mad :D Special props to Warrel for giving an intense performance while hitting all the right notes.
Here and there they have little changes in the music compared to the album version that make things more interesting. The two first things that spring to mind are the ending of the I, Voyager solo and the flageolettes in the chorus of DNB.
The setlist is amazing too and it's fantastic to hear some old songs being played with this quality and improved musicianship..

Phew, I'm glad it turned out this way :p
Anyone else watched it already?

Sorry to get back on topic,
Great review Vincent J. I've watched ALL the bootleg's over & over
over & over over & over over & over and so on, & so on.
The band can do no wrong....Oh Oh Fan Man hahaha.
Is there pre orders for this any where? I didn't see any on CM site.
Did you just grab my ass? Will? No
Hey Has anyone in Sea Hawk town ran into Glen Drover?
I hear he is joining a non Christian band

I really have been looking forward to the first Nevermore dvd for over six years and fínally it's been released.
To be honest I really didn't like the previews of the dvd, so I was discouraged and very afraid to be disappointed. Especially the Narcosynthesis video made me fear the worst, but if I'm not mistaken it was shots of two different shows put over the sound of one, so it's no surprise that it looked like a picture collage.
Anyway.. I went to the store today and was lucky to find the last Ltd. edition of the dvd (for 40 euro's) and bought it immediately.
When I got home I got set well with my best headphones and put it on.
Till this moment I got my hopes up a bit again and rightfully so =)
In short: The DVD totally does Nevermore's live gigs full justice.
Where I first feared the way the dvd was shot was only an obstruction to getting the message across I now can say it only enhances the experience.
There are some subtle effects used like color filters, slow-motion/fast-motion, vibrating camera screens etc. All used very well that it fits with the song that's playing, just like the overall way the concert is shot. The cut goes really well with what kind of song is playing, so expect a good contrast between songs like Born and Dreaming Neon Black for example.
The thing that got me crazy watching the dvd was basically the performance itself. It reminded me that there's five extremely talented musicians playing perfectly together. They're incredibly tight. Especially the double guitarsolo's made me grin like mad :D Special props to Warrel for giving an intense performance while hitting all the right notes.
Here and there they have little changes in the music compared to the album version that make things more interesting. The two first things that spring to mind are the ending of the I, Voyager solo and the flageolettes in the chorus of DNB.
The setlist is amazing too and it's fantastic to hear some old songs being played with this quality and improved musicianship..

Phew, I'm glad it turned out this way :p
Anyone else watched it already?

:worship: I'm dripping with envy right now! :lol: I want it!!!!!!

Ok, I am PM'ing you with my address, and you will hand over the DVD now! :oops: Just kidding! I still want it though :cry:

[KOTNO]Narrot;7720059 said:
i dunno... warrel has been good at the show but far from hitting all the notes ... are the learning and i am the dog taken from the bochum concert? because warrel fucked up the lyrics in both songs iirc

edit: i dont mind some overdubs if they are used in the right places.

Have you seen it yet? You're like in every second crowd shot - full on. So, you're basically getting more screen time than Jim. :lol:

[KOTNO]Narrot;7726681 said:
nah, havent seen it... do i act retarded? i fear so D;

Ah, lots of the usual stuff: grim faces, raised fists, some banging and the inevitable out of time sing-alongs. :p

Some general thoughts on it:

Got it (the oh so limited oh so special 4 disc edition) on Saturday after unsuccessfully raiding some shops on Friday. I couldn't get it on Friday basically due to the massive downsizing of CD/DVD departments of aforementioned stores. Watching this development is sad, but understandable...

At least, I got it on Saturday for 29.99 € which is a lot cheaper than I've seen it in most online stores.

Originally, I just wanted the "regular" 2 DVD edition (having the exact same audio tracks of the main show on two extra CDs isn't really worth the extra money IMO), but they only had this one copy of the special edition. So yeah, being tired of waiting, I bought it (the Audio CDs are actually quite nice for putting them into my car - but, of course, I could have just ripped the audio from the dvd).

Sound-wise, it's great. Sneap did a very good job. It has so much more soul, than his unisex-always-sounds-the-same mixes that people are slowly getting tired to hear. The sound is powerful and clear but still has an edge to it.

The setlist... Well, that's something you can always argue about. Foremost it's a good representation of their career as a whole with the focus on newer material, especially on TGE (for obvious reasons). I love all of their records, so I can't complain. Really sticking out for me is the "What Tomorrow Knows/Garden Of Grey" medley: tight and heavy as fuck and WD's passionate performance on "I Am The Dog" - damn, he sounds pissed.

I'm having some problems with the visual side, though. The editing and camera work ain't exactly my taste. Lots of quick cuts and a gazillion of (unsteady) close ups leave a bit of a sour taste. I also think there could have been better stage lighting. You can argue about the Zeche in Bochum being the best spot to film such a DVD.

The performance of the band is good but compared to some older bootlegs of their club tours, it ain't as passionate.

So, all in all: I'm pretty grateful for finally having this after all the waiting. The money was well invested.. So I'll end with a simple:

Thank you, Nevermore!

so uhhhh anyone flip through the photo album on the dvd yet? I'm curious what kind of thing they have for that stuff... especially Mike's pictures.

There is no such thing on the DeeVeeDees (or I haven't found it yet).

There is, however, a double paged photo collage in the middle of the (otherwise pretty unspectacular) booklet.

If Mike's the guy I'm having in my mind right now, then he's featured of many of these shoots.

Will, your picture with Steph and WD is on the lower left corner of the left page. I think, I also spotted Faffy...