The ZH & DM local Scene

97reb

doom classic
Mar 27, 2002
Charlotte, NC, USA
Visit site
Hey guys, just wondering what exactly constitutes your local scene. Geographically and what types of bands are going on in the area. What kind of music/which bands have you seen lately. I'd like to hear from more than da Tiptun's bro's. So, if there is any way to get some answers from Mikey and Erik, even via someone else. I know you are all busy with different stuff, but I'm trying to get a vibe for your hometown crowd. Gracias, mi amigos.

97reb said:
Hey guys, just wondering what exactly constitutes your local scene. Geographically and what types of bands are going on in the area. What kind of music/which bands have you seen lately. I'd like to hear from more than da Tiptun's bro's. So, if there is any way to get some answers from Mikey and Erik, even via someone else. I know you are all busy with different stuff, but I'm trying to get a vibe for your hometown crowd. Gracias, mi amigos.

Hey everyone I'm new to this-coming out of the world of dial up to broadband is a revelation- and thanks to all who support the bands! To answer your question about the scene I'll say "What scene?". Honestly I don't go out much to check things out so I really wouldn't know WTF is going on. I'm more into jamming with friends over a BBQ(blues and such) than checking out a certain scene. It's dead here as far as I know. Recently I've been listening to and seeing videos of alot of Jaco Pastorias, Louis Armstrong, Etta James, classic soul, blues, delta stuff videos/audio.

Well right on that Erik is on the board now.

When Zero Hour played out we got better crowds than what the scene was doing at the time. Our last Local show was at The Cactus Club and it totally packed. (YOu remeber that right Erik?) The problem is Cactus Club closed down and and that show was in 2002.

The METAL scene is much better now because alot of bands are starting to get out this way and there's alot more fans going to the shows. What is great for Zero Hour now is that DM played alot of shows and got hooked with Savage Productions, Man Down productions and had plenty of backing from Powerslave. So Zero Hour would get plenty of Local shows if we wanted them but we will more than likly only play 2 shows a year this way. What's great for Zero Hour as well is when we played our last show that was really the first time we played out when "The Towers of Avarice CD" had been released for about 4 months. The word got out and it helped a ton. Still it has a ways to go but it is so much better than it was a few years ago. To give an example, I remember when Nevermore was touring with Opeth, Angel Dust and God Forbid. That was either in 2000 or 2001 and they had about 125 people maybe 150 people (And that's pushing it)
at the Cactus Club and it was on a weekend. They would be playing to atleast 500 people now, so that should let you know the scene has improved alot.

Hope that helps brotha!!!!!

Jasun/ZH

In Erik's defense, He doesnt really listen to Metal. When we met up with him he never heard of Meshuggah, Dream Theater or NEvermore to name a few. So he's more of a Blues, Rock, Jazz guy. HE just emailed me he thinks "De-Evolution material is great, so he still has some METAL in him.

Good to hear that the metal scene is picking up in your area. It has also improved a lot over here, a lot of young people seem to be getting into the scene, always good to see new people getting back into it.
Do you guys network a lot with other bands.
Good to see that Erik is on board and is exicited by the new album. How many more tracks do you have to do.
Hope to see you in 2005
Spatch

spatch said:
Good to hear that the metal scene is picking up in your area. It has also improved a lot over here, a lot of young people seem to be getting into the scene, always good to see new people getting back into it.
Do you guys network a lot with other bands.
Good to see that Erik is on board and is exicited by the new album. How many more tracks do you have to do.
Hope to see you in 2005
Spatch

Hey, there's five tracks(with vox) in all-four have been done but need harmonies and fixes. The last track doesn't have any vox on it yet(on the master recording) but I've been demoing it here at home so really I can't say it's "done" but it's all really coming together. If you want to know what it will eventually sound like it's kind of hard to describe. It's definetly not like "Towers"-not as angry LOL in my opinion. I guess, as far the criticisms that "Towers" was cold this one will probably be reviewed as being more warm??! Although I never thought that "Towers" was cold, it was the nature of the story-line, but to each his own. There will also be more keyboards, not as intense as Metamorphosis, but more for texture.
It all will be done in August(fingers crossed). Sorry for delay, there was some intense personal shit I've been dealing with for awhile that had to be resolved and thanks for y'all's patience.
Take it easy

I don't think the "coldness" of "Towers" should be seen as a negative... I agree that the coldness is product of the storyline and ends up being quite stark, desolate and brutal... which I think is a positive.

ProgMetalFan said:
I don't think the "coldness" of "Towers" should be seen as a negative... I agree that the coldness is product of the storyline and ends up being quite stark, desolate and brutal... which I think is a positive.

Cool, thanks

Hi Erik
Thanks for the update; sorry to hear about the personnal shit, sometimes life can be quite heavy.
I never really saw Towers as being cold, the storyline is dealing with a dark theme and the music really goes with this, also the vocals are amazing in how they capture the emotion of the music and lyrics. Towers is one of my all time favs, but as you say to each there own.
I am really looking forward to the new CD, it sounds very different in feel to Towers. Really looking forward to seeing you guys promote this stuff
Spatch

Glad to have you on the board Erik. Hey, even if metal is not your most favorite, you sure as hell can sing it. I was at Progpower in Atlanta and really thought you guys were the best. As far as not listening to metal - well I love metal, but right now I'm listening to Willie Nelson.

Well I got word from our label we can put up a 2 minute clip of a tune of the new ZH material. This will be everyones first little take on what's to come from "De-Evolution".

This should be up on the Zero Hour site www.zerohourweb.com in the next couple of days. Please visit the site and it should be up very soon for all of you to take a listen.

YOU ALL RULE!!!!

Jasun/ZH/DM

DMThrak said:
Well I got word from our label we can put up a 2 minute clip of a tune of the new ZH material. This will be everyones first little take on what's to come from "De-Evolution".

This should be up on the Zero Hour site www.zerohourweb.com in the next couple of days. Please visit the site and it should be up very soon for all of you to take a listen.

YOU ALL RULE!!!!

Jasun/ZH/DM
gahhhh a 2 minute clip!!!!!!!??????? *DROOL*

speaking of the ZH scene... while living over in monterey on the central coast of CA, i never did get a chance to see ZH live, but i did get to chat with Troy at the Porcupine Tree show at Slim's in San Fran. pretty nifty being at the same shows as ZH!!! now sadly, i'm over on the east coast in NJ, so just crossing my fingers that one day i'll get to see the one band i am dying to see live the most, zero hour!!! looking forward to any future gig you guys have in either NJ or NYC :)

-Bryan B.

Hi Jasun
I am really looking forward to the clip. Thanks for putting it on the web
YOU RULE!!
Spatch
DMThrak said:

Hey Ytse, you lived so close. That's nothing though, I lived 10 hours away from New Orleans for three years and never went to Mardi Gras. Don't worry Ytse, you'll get your chance.

ErikR said:
Hey, there's five tracks(with vox) in all-four have been done but need harmonies and fixes. The last track doesn't have any vox on it yet(on the master recording) but I've been demoing it here at home so really I can't say it's "done" but it's all really coming together. If you want to know what it will eventually sound like it's kind of hard to describe. It's definetly not like "Towers"-not as angry LOL in my opinion. I guess, as far the criticisms that "Towers" was cold this one will probably be reviewed as being more warm??! Although I never thought that "Towers" was cold, it was the nature of the story-line, but to each his own. There will also be more keyboards, not as intense as Metamorphosis, but more for texture.
It all will be done in August(fingers crossed). Sorry for delay, there was some intense personal shit I've been dealing with for awhile that had to be resolved and thanks for y'all's patience.
Take it easy
Did those Tipton freaks ever tell you to call me so I could straighten you out? Hell, I even offfered up the mighty Zilla chest for you to beat on again. :p

Seriously, welcome on board chief. Email your digits when you get a chance and we'll chat and plot the course for world domination. Or at least exchange cheesecake recipes. :loco:

Zilla

PowerFreak said:
Did those Tipton freaks ever tell you to call me so I could straighten you out? Hell, I even offfered up the mighty Zilla chest for you to beat on again. :p

Seriously, welcome on board chief. Email your digits when you get a chance and we'll chat and plot the course for world domination. Or at least exchange cheesecake recipes. :loco:

Zilla
Here ya go- rosvolderik@yahoo.com-you can dial 408-739-3480 but of course I won't answer!-too many folks lookn' for the money that some how escapes me at the time-"f "them anyways.
Take care

Is this the longest thread here yet or close, eh! I hope more interest will be buiding for ZH as the release time grows nearer. I try to spread the word of ZH as much as possible, myself. Here's to longer threads on the ZH/DM forum. (hoists beer and takes a bit)

97reb said:
Is this the longest thread here yet or close, eh! I hope more interest will be buiding for ZH as the release time grows nearer. I try to spread the word of ZH as much as possible, myself. Here's to longer threads on the ZH/DM forum. (hoists beer and takes a bit)

It is now. Thanks for the support