Theocracy debut in About.com "Top 10 Power Metal" list

metal gaijin

New Metal Member
Apr 18, 2008
So I am on the "heavy metal" mailing list from About.com, and they've started doing the "10 essential" albums by genre...don't always agree with the reviews and choices, but interesting and nice to see that the first Theocracy disc is included in the list of must-have power metal albums (I'd have picked MoS, although that choice might be more difficult if the debut is rereleased with Shawn's drumming on it 8^)

Anyway, the list is here and the blurb is here...

"Compared to the rest of these bands, Theocracy is the spunky kid with a head full of ideas. Formed in 2002 by Matt Smith, he did all the instrumental and vocal work on the band’s 2003 self-titled debut album. For a one-man project, Theocracy is a hell of an album. Smith holds nothing back, with three songs past the 11-minute mark and a positive message. The guitar and keyboards intermingle and work around each other, and Smith actually has a wide range that he utilizes several times."​

I seem to remember that list. Or at least, I've seen that description of the S/T somewhere. I prefer Mirror of Souls too (though not by a large margin - I love them both). Didn't see a date when that was posted, so maybe it was from before MOS?

Glad to see the debut on that list in any case. One of the reasons I'd love to see a re-release is because it deserves a lot more exposure.