Theocracy: "Wishing Well" lyric video released!

Man, that song was put together really well. Can't stop nodding my head to that beat in the first half, lol. Didn't see that second part coming at all. That part was really dope. Had to start nodding a lil faster, hahah. Also really liked the melody of the vocals on that part.

Now I just have to stop myself from listening to this song too much before I get the CD in the mail. I'm spreading this single wherever I can. I'm not too much into social media, but I'll drop it in the places I do mess with.

Reactions: Vaalwrath and Aish!
Matt recreating classic Metallica tones and playing parts of Wishing Well with them:

Video's description:

Now that I have thousands of studio hours under my belt, and my engineering skills have finally caught up to my childhood fantasies (haha!), I thought it would be fun to see how close I could come to some of the classic Metallica tones with my beloved Mark IV. Obviously they’re not going to be exact, considering that literally everything is different (player, guitar, pickups, cables, cabinets, rooms, recording equipment and medium, etc.). But since those tones came from Mesa Mark series amps, and I have a lot of the same (or similar) gear, I wanted to give it a shot since these guitar sounds are a big part of what started my love affair with recording in the first place.

I also recorded a quick riff from Theocracy’s “Wishing Well” with each of the three tones, both because I thought it would be cool to hear my own riffs with these tones, and because it seemed useful to have the same part played through all three sounds for comparison’s sake.

Everything is played through the same Mesa/Boogie Mark IV head, with an EQ in the loop. No pedals or anything, just guitar straight into amp. I wanted to show the huge difference that different cabinets and speakers + different microphones + engineer’s ears make, even with the same guitar and amp. There’s no impulses or software EQ matching or any of that nonsense; I simply tried to get as close as I could by ear. Again, of course it’s not exact, but I think I got fairly close and I certainly had fun doing it. I hope you get a kick out of it as well! :)

Black Album 0:00
"Wishing Well" w/Black Album Tone 1:18
...And Justice For All 1:40
"Wishing Well" w/Justice Tone 2:41
Master of Puppets 3:05
"Wishing Well" w/Puppets Tone 4:03

Reactions: Aish!
Oh my. The lyrics of this song just finally clicked for me after reading an online interview, after 6 weeks of listening to the album. Wow, amazing! I am blown away (and utterly guilty in brutal lines like "Blood in the water the saint and the martyr will stay, wish away").

http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/interviews/Theocracy2016.asp

Q: "Is there a story behind Wishing Well?"

Matt: "Yeah, Wishing Well was a… so we've done with Ulterium, we've done two charity songs under this banner called Project Aegis. And it's basically songs that I wrote that we recruited different singers and different instrumentalists, and we released a song and sold it with all proceeds going to… well the first one, I don't know if you know Pastor Bob Beeman and his Sanctuary Outreach in Nashville, yeah, so the first one went to them, and the second one was for homeless and refugee families in Greece, which is where Emil from Ulterium lives. And "Wishing Well" was originally a song that I wrote for that. I wrote it at the same time as one of the other songs, and I was like, "I think I like this, I think I'll hold onto it for Theocracy."

So, I started thinking about words versus actions, and I that this… you know the line "a penny for the wishing well", I was thinking about it in terms of wishing someone well, and how that's not even worth a penny. Like, it's worth nothing, basically, if you just wish someone well, and go on with your life when you run into people in need. And this is all…everything I write is speaking to me personally, and it starts with me feeling guilty or convicted about not doing enough to help. In this case, it was probably specifically homelessness, because that was what we were dealing with on that first charity song when I wrote it. So I was thinking about that and how often am I guilty of running into people and wishing them well and going on instead of actually doing anything within my power to actually make a difference. So I was thinking about that and that cool play on words that that was, and that song basically developed from there."