THERION Mainman Retires From Singing

caex

May 15, 2004
Hendersonville, NC
Christofer Johnsson, founder, songwriter, guitarist, and vocalist for the symphonic Swedish group THERION has announced today via the band's official website, www.MegaTherion.com, that he will be retiring from vocal duties. The following is an excerpt from his post:

"As was announced at the Metal Mania festivals, I am going to retire from vocals. The reasons for this are two: One is that I feel it's not fun to sing anymore (even though I have enjoyed playing the old songs on guitar). [My] voice is getting weaker over the years and I experienced problems at the end of the U.S./Canada tour. The problem isn't only getting older, but rather that we basically never rehearse as a band and therefore, I don't keep my throat 'warm.' It simply doesn't work to not sing for half a year and then go on tour for two months and shout every evening. It used to work when I was younger, but now I feel it's not comfortable anymore and when it doesn't feel right, it's definitely time to stop.

The second reason is that we would like to stop playing old songs, anyway. By old I mean Lepaca Klifffoth and older. We are now working on our 13th studio album and it is getting harder and harder to choose which songs to play live. The number of 'classics' - songs that we more or less must play - is growing all the time and we don't want to end up like one of those bands where you know beforehand 95% for sure what songs that are going to be played. We want to be able to have space to play a couple of unexpected songs each new tour. We, of course, realize that many fans will miss those old brutal songs, but we are convinced that those fans also will prefer to hear something new each time from the Theli album and onwards.

The ProgPower festival in England will be the final show where I do vocals on stage. This will be our 106th and final show supporting Lemuria/Sirius B. We will not be on stage again until 2007. I have planned a special surprise for this festival (not even the other band members know it), so don't miss this festival if you live in the U.K.!"

As previously reported, Therion will be releasing Celebrators Of Becoming, a 4 DVD+ 2 CD set (featuring over ten hours of video footage and two hours of live audio) in North America on June 13th.

Damn, that sucks.

Was never a huge fan until they blew me away last year. I'm glad I got to hear him sing before he shuts it down. That being said, I love the fact that he recognized that he can't sing as much anymore. There are a number of singers out there that probably should do the same.

Steve in Philly

Not sure this will make a big difference in the Therion sound. From Theli on, it was mainly about the music and the choirs anyway. They seldom used traditional vocals. I don't listen to their old death metal stuff, so I'm fine with him stepping down. As long as he keeps writing such fantastic music, I'll be a happy camper!

NP: Red Circuit -Trance State

Damnnnnn....they've got 12 studio albums out?? I've only got 5 of 'em. Guess I need to do some more looking. Been meaning to pick up Theli for the longest time. Guess it's time do that and find some of the others if possible also.

Danny

I'm not too surprised at this news; Christofer hinted at it in an email to me a while back (after PP). At least the band will continue....when I saw the thread topic I was about to get reallly depressed.

Another reason to really regret not making it to PPUK this year....and yet, also another reason to treasure my memories of their performance at PPUSA.

Rider of Theli said:
damn skippy! :kickass: that Mercyful Fate cover was the BEST!!!

No doubt, but when they were saying they had about 3 minutes left and wanted to do an older song that didn't require the chorus and everything, I thought for SURE it would be Baal Reginon. It was a bittersweet moment for me. Hearing the cover was fucking badass, but not hearing BR was equally depressing.

King_of_Loss said:
Damnnnnn....they've got 12 studio albums out?? I've only got 5 of 'em. Guess I need to do some more looking. Been meaning to pick up Theli for the longest time. Guess it's time do that and find some of the others if possible also.

LOL ... you took the words right out of my mouth! I've only got 6 of their albums ... I guess I have some catching up to do!

Pellaz said:
....and yet, also another reason to treasure my memories of their performance at PPUSA.

You can definitely say that again!

I also had the opportunity to see them in Minneapolis -- only 100 people in the room, but they played it like there were 1000. I was right up front and they just blew me away.

I'm extremely lucky that I got to see them twice before this announcement. Although I agree with the opinions here that their music will probably not undergo a complete face-lift, there is something extremely special about seeing a band with as much of the original line-up as possible ... especially the vocalist.

Yeah, this doesn't really effect the current sound at all. Just lets you know you're not likely to hear the really old stuff in concert.

Also saw them twice while they toured here. Great show both times. One of the highlights of PPUSA & chatting with one of the choir guys for a good 30+ min after the show in Poughkeepsie was great fun too.
And Swordlord, consider 100 a high number. Poughkeepsie probably had 40. I think a lot were people who had seen them in NYC, too.

Jibrille said:
And Swordlord, consider 100 a high number. Poughkeepsie probably had 40. I think a lot were people who had seen them in NYC, too.

Yeah, I know the grass is always greener, but the point is that Clear Channel had the show and basically just threw it to the wolves -- no advertising, no nothing -- I'm actually surprised we had that many. If I had been able to promote the show, I would have done a far, far better job -- I think I could have done at least 200 maybe even 250. CCE also didn't put much into Stratovarius and I think we had the lowest # of the entire tour -- 161.

I pulled slightly over 300 for Sonata Arctica on 1/10 the budget and manpower that CCE has. There IS a market for this metal in the US, you just have to put the shows into the hands of people who know how to find them and actually give a damn.

Nathan