THERION Mainman CHRISTOFER JOHNSSON Parts Ways With Bandmates

Apr 10, 2006
Pawtucket, RI
Swedish metallers THERION have issued the following update:

"Today we have an announcement that will come as a shock to all of you. The four permanent members of the band have had some discussions and it is clear that we have different goals and visions for the future. Therefore it is best for the band, ourselves as individuals and for the fans that we go separate ways now when there is still plenty of time before the next THERION album and world tour. This means that Christofer [Johnsson, THERION mainman] will continue with THERION and the others will perform their music in other projects and bands.

"We're all still friends, no one is disappointed and there's still some work we have left to do together in terms of editing of materials we have recorded for future DVD's.

"Best regards to all of you and thank you so much for the wonderful support you have given the band during the time we have played together."

WTF?!?! Can't wait to hear the full story on this one. Certainly makes me feel even more grateful to have caught them last year.

+1

That performance at PP was one of the high points of the last ten years, for me. I'd been expecting a good show, heck, I'd sponsored them....and they even exceeded MY expectations, without playing "The Wild Hunt" (!)

+1

That performance at PP was one of the high points of the last ten years, for me. I'd been expecting a good show, heck, I'd sponsored them....and they even exceeded MY expectations, without playing "The Wild Hunt" (!)

The PP performance was one of a kind. But the last tour they just did was badass too. Snowy was awesome.

Therion should just break up. It won't be even close to the same now.

=/

I don't get what's going on in their camp. I wonder if it is a musical difference, or Dragon Rouge issue, or what. Sigh.

At least with Johan we still have Mind's Eye.

Talk about strange...
Seriously. Sure would like to know what the hell happened. They seemed pretty tight in November. They put on a dynamite performance at the Highline in NYC. I loved their ProgPower performance too. So much talent and innovation, it really seemed to gel. Well, hopefully subsequent projects with all the members will be and create great new music.

this is so sad. Kristian seemed like an awesome guy every time I talked to him. And such an awesome guitarist as well.

I wonder if Demonoid had anything to do with this, I know Kristian and Johan were really starting to take this band seriously, maybe it conflicted with Therion's schedules or something.

Therion should just break up.

Eh? "Therion", by which I mean "the vehicle for Christofer Johnsson's music", basically has had new musicians every album for their whole career. If Johnsson stopped recording music whenever he needed new musicians, we never would have gotten 'Theli', or 'Vovin', or the lineup that included the Niemanns. I hardly even see why this is news!

It won't be even close to the same now.

You say that as if it's a bad thing!

Neil

Interesting, but it is pretty much Christof's band anyways. He was the only consistent member in Therion and kept it as a vehicle to spread the Dragon Rouge's mission and beliefs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Rouge

All the lyrics are written by Karlsson, the founder of the group (Dragon Rouge).

Doesn't surprise me though. After I met Mats in Saint Louis, it was apparent that there were inner divisions as only some of the band members felt obligated to talk to the fans outside the bus....

He was the only consistent member in Therion and kept it as a vehicle to spread the Dragon Rouge's mission and beliefs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Rouge

All the lyrics are written by Karlsson, the founder of the group (Dragon Rouge).

Doesn't surprise me though. After I met Mats in Saint Louis, it was apparent that there were inner divisions as only some of the band members felt obligated to talk to the fans outside the bus....

I wonder just how successful Therion(as a vehicle) has been in spreading these Dragon Rouge beliefs.

I also wonder if other members such as Mats simply weren't into the whole Dragon Rouge scene, which might have caused problems.

Probably about as successful as Rhapsody getting people to believe in the Power of the Dragon Flame.

Ken

rofl! Oh the power of the dragon flame.... :kickass:

I wonder just how successful Therion(as a vehicle) has been in spreading these Dragon Rouge beliefs.

I also wonder if other members such as Mats simply weren't into the whole Dragon Rouge scene, which might have caused problems.

As far as I know, there are Orders of the Dragon Rouge in several European countries, and even a few in South America. Membership is pretty exclusive, you have to submit material to them explaining why you want to be a member, etc, etc... It's kinda like Scientology meets the Freemasons, whom then have a lovechild with the occult, you pay for membership and learn their secrets about how to practice magic, and can even go through initiations to become a member of the inner circle.

Also, Christof was the only band member of Therion actually in the Dragon Rouge. Seeing how he was the only consistent band member, and it being pretty much his band, I could definitely see the Order of the Dragon Rouge complicating things within the Therion ranks.

Anyone want to join with me? :lol:

Probably about as successful as Rhapsody getting people to believe in the Power of the Dragon Flame.

Ken

HAH!!

I still don't get it though, why would it matter whether the other guys were into Dragon Rogue or not. I mean, its not like Deicide lost the best guitarist they've ever had a few days after he confessed to being a christian..wink wink..