Therion disbands, Christofer Johnsson remains

Does Gothic Kabbalah go back to the death metal style?

Not in the slightest. It's mainly prog metal, though the 'metal' part of it is highly watered-down in many places.

Nope.

Beyond Sanctorum is so good :( Why did they decide to suck after that!?

You mean turn into a band that was actually unique, instead of just another cookie-cutter death metal band? If you hate symphonic metal that much, there's plenty of oldschool death metal out there for you, so no need to complain. What there isn't a lot of is good symphonic metal.

I haven't listened to any of Therion's "sell-out" albums other than Theli. I thought it was pretty underwhelming, but not so bad. I'm interested in hearing Lemuria. Gonna get it in my next haul.

I've never really seen the appeal in Lemuria. It might sound a little more 'epic' overall, but I think Sirius B has far more memorable songs.

It was alright. The only songs on there that really blew me away were "Muspelheim" and the ABBA cover, "Summernight City". "Ljusalfheim" was really nice too, but for some reason that whispering part in the chorus really annoys the shit out of me. :erk:

That sucks... really liked Therion. Also not sure why all the hate on Lemuria. I liked Typhon a lot (one of the top Therion songs IMO) and Three Ships of Berik is one of the most epic songs ever (for a shorty)

You mean turn into a band that was actually unique, instead of just another cookie-cutter death metal band? If you hate symphonic metal that much, there's plenty of oldschool death metal out there for you, so no need to complain. What there isn't a lot of is good symphonic metal.

Beyond Sanctorum is not cookie-cutter death metal you fucking jew.

Whatever. My point is that going symphonic made Therion about 100x as unique as they would have been had they stuck to the old death metal formula.

Oh, believe me, they were symphonic back then too. ;) Their music hasn't changed all that much. CJ's budget's simply gotten bigger and bigger.

Well, maybe Of Darkness was straightforward DM. But composition-wise? Still a little more sophisticated than the average bear.

But aren't they just like "any other cookie-cutter symphonic band"?

No, I wouldn't say so. Bands with symphonic elements are usually the ones I tend to lean towards, and generally end up being my favorites. I enjoy "symphonic" metal, because it doesn't stick to one genre. Symphonic metal can be applied to any major genre of metal.

Therion were death metal with symphonic touches in their early days. They slowly changed and began to bring the symphonic influences more to the forefront. They were one of the only symphonic metal bands to use completely choir vocals for a few albums. In my opinion, they revolutionized the symphonic genre and remain an important influence.

Whereas other bands generally tend to keep their previous metal influences (hence being dubbed as "symphonic black" like Obsidian Gate, or "symphonic power" like Rhapsody) I believe that Therion is one of the few bands to move successfully away from their old sound and develop into something unique and new. Their later material can no longer be called "symphonic death." I actually believe they are the only symphonic band I listen to that can truly be called, simply, "Symphonic metal."

But aren't they just like "any other cookie-cutter symphonic band"?

In order for that to be true, they would have had to be ripping off a well-established symphonic metal formula. And seeing as how they were kinda one of the pioneers of the genre, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Besides that, Therion's sound has been constantly evolving from the beginning. Their style changes a little bit with each new album, and they've done more than just death and symphonic as well - you can hear power, prog, and traditional leanings in a number of songs. As far as metal bands go, they're about as far from cookie-cutter as they come.

In order for that to be true, they would have had to be ripping off a well-established symphonic metal formula. And seeing as how they were kinda one of the pioneers of the genre, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Besides that, Therion's sound has been constantly evolving from the beginning. Their style changes a little bit with each new album, and they've done more than just death and symphonic as well - you can hear power, prog, and traditional leanings in a number of songs. As far as metal bands go, they're about as far from cookie-cutter as they come.

Therion were definitely pioneers of the genre, and really revolutionized the "symphonic" metal sound. I'm with vihris on this one.

As for my original post, I INCLUDED BANDS THAT HAVE LOOSE TIES TO GOTHIC MUSIC WHICH MAY INCLUDE SYMPHONIC, PROGRESSIVE, DEATH/DOOM-ESQUE, ETC. It's pretty clear what I meant tbh.

No one cares tbh. Like what you like, dislike what you don't, but please don't be annoyingly outspoken about it. Not necessarily was this totally in play here but it applies to everyone.