Therion disbands, Christofer Johnsson remains

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
"Today we have an announcement that will come as a shock to all of you. The four permanent members of the band have had some discussions and it is clear that we have different goals and visions for the future. Therefore it is best for the band, ourselves as individuals and for the fans that we go separate ways now when there is still plenty of time before the next THERION album and world tour. This means that Christofer [Johnsson, THERION mainman] will continue with THERION and the others will perform their music in other projects and bands.

"We're all still friends, no one is disappointed and there's still some work we have left to do together in terms of editing of materials we have recorded for future DVD's.

"Best regards to all of you and thank you so much for the wonderful support you have given the band during the time we have played together."

Christofer is Therion, so everything is still good. hope he can bring some growls back to the fold though. Happy Hunting Chris im sure you won't have any problems finding new members.

NO!!!

Kristian Niemann's guitar work was phenomenal, he is one of the most underrated players in metal and one of my favorites. His work with Therion was perfect!

This sucks, it's going to be a while before Johnsson releases another Therion album. Yeah, his songwriting will still be there; but the other members of the band just brought so much to the table. They had a good run though.

I think I'll go and listen to Secret of the Runes in honor. That's such an amazing record.

Vanaheim is one of the most majestic songs ever.

NO!!!

Kristian Niemann's guitar work was phenomenal, he is one of the most underrated players in metal and one of my favorites. His work with Therion was perfect!

This sucks, it's going to be a while before Johnsson releases another Therion album. Yeah, his songwriting will still be there; but the other members of the band just brought so much to the table. They had a good run though.

Yes I completely agree, even though Christofer writes most of the music Kristian did bring a lot to the table, he was the perfect guitarist for Therion... this will be the most challenging replacement to find for them. I hope Christofer doesn't fuck it all up and stays on track with the band. For those of you just getting into the band you are in luck, they have a massive diverse discography to choose from.

Death metal bands turning into lame goth bands = gay.

Others guilty of such an atrocity:

Sentenced
Atrocity (ha)
Disgrace
Katatonia
Amorphis (to a degree)

...and probably many more.

In other words, I could give less of a shit if Therion broke up at this point.

Death metal bands turning into lame goth bands = gay.

Others guilty of such an atrocity:

Sentenced
Atrocity (ha)
Disgrace
Katatonia
Amorphis (to a degree)

...and probably many more.

In other words, I could give less of a shit if Therion broke up at this point.

Sure; but Therion didn't turn into lame goth, and neither did Amorphis.

Therion turned into one of the most mature, intelligent symphonic metal bands around today. They deserve credit for being one of the most influential bands in that genre.

And if you still don't give a shit, then beat it.

New Therion rules almost as much as old Therion, which was ace.

The band didn't change all that much. Mostly instrumentation choices. Listen closely. ;)

I included loose-ties to gothic metal (which is rather ambiguous to begin with).

Gothic metal is like Viking metal, its mainly a lyrical thing. You have band like Tristania, which has a death/doom like sound (I wouldn't even call them gothic metal); and then you have later Sentenced, who I guess are generally the sort of sound Gothic metal is perceived as