Therion, The Vision Bleak @Brixton Fridge 16th Dec 2007

seraph7

elitism sucks!
Aug 19, 2007
Southern England
What a gig!

I managed to get tickets to see Therion on Sunday and it was excellent stuff. Definitely a contender for gig of the year.

The Vision Bleak were on first as support. I've never heard their songs before but I suppose you could describe it as Gothicish Black Metal with harsh vocals. they seemed to have a lot of fans as well. Personally I wasn't keen but it wasn't really my thing to be honest.

Apparently Sirenia were also meant to be support , but they cancelled. I think their lead singer's left the band or something from what I was able to gather. No loss as I wasn't very keen on them either, but I know there were some that were gutted they didn't play.

Therion came on at last. I did wonder how they were going to fit on stage as it is a very small intimate venue but they managed OK. they had Lori Lewis singing soprano, Thomas Vikstrom and Snowy Shaw.

As usual I can't remember the full set list but I can remember they played:

Son of the sun
Asgard:worship:
Lemuria (acoustic):worship:
Typhon
An arrow to the sun
Kali Yuga pt 1+ 2+ 3 (Messiah Marcolin did a guest spot on this one.):worship:
Wisdom and the cage.
The whole of the Theli album.:worship:notworthy:worship:
Adulruna rediviva:worship:
Summernight City

I even wrote notes and a decent set list but as usual I haven't got it here so I'll edit this with full details later I just didn't want to forget to do it before Xmas.

It was a very good gig. I didn't know what to expect because while I respect Therion I didn't really know their stuff very well but I was won over completely I got lots of photos on my ancient APS camera . as soon as I can work out how to transfer them onto the computer you can see for yourself.

On a personal note, something very unexpectedly good happened at the gig. I was standing next to this woman at the gig waiting for the bands to come on when her son appeared with her drink. He turned out to be my housemate from college who I haven't seen for 8-9 years. We talked for a while and hopefully will keep in touch. What are the chances of that, eh?

You are so lucky, getting the fan voted set that we didn't get here in the states. People here would kill for Summernight City, and Kali Yuga Part 3 as well.

Heh yeah of all places to run into an unexpected someone.. a Therion concert? Very cool.