Within Temptation @ Brixton Academy 27th Nov 2007

seraph7

elitism sucks!
Aug 19, 2007
Southern England
I had the good fortune to see Within Temptation at Brixton Academy last night with support from the 69 Eyes. Unfortunately I haven't got any pictures to share , but I'll do my best to let you know what went down.

First up, the 69 Eyes I'd never heard any of their stuff before, but I enjoyed what I heard. The guys put on a really good performance and by the end the crowd were punching the air, throwing horns and singing along . I'm a bit rubbish with set lists and what have you but I remember they played 'Perfect Skin', a song called 'Devils' and a cover of 'Lost Boys'. I think I may have to get their album after Xmas.

After a bit of a wait, WT took to the stage. The band looked happy to be there. I didn't manage to get a set list (that was nabbed by the Uber-Fan in front of me) but I remember the crowd went wild when they played 'The Howling'+ 'Stand my ground' . They played a good mix of songs off all the albums even 'Restless' from the 1st album got an airing.

Having never seen them before and liking them although not being a mega fan like I am of Nightwish , I was very impressed by their performance. Sharon sang really well and she really made an effort to connect to the crowd and get them involved. One minor gripe I had was when she sang a high note, the sound went a bit smudgy.

I liked her costume as well, which started off as this big red and black Tarjaesque coat with huge collar and turned into this red and black corset thing with miniskirt.

At the end they were really down to earth and thanked us for coming and being a great audience. Robert was saying how more and more people come to their concerts every time and they appreciate it. I enjoyed it and am definitely going to try and catch both bands whenever they reappear in my neck of the woods.

As soon as I can find my hastily scribbled set list from home I'll try and post that as well.

Sounds like a great time. It's cool that they occasionally toss in a different song that othersm ay not have heard. It can really personalize an evening.

I don't know about that, I think anyone would be converted after hearing "The Cross" live. That is truly an experience.

Maybe I didn't word that clearly enough...what I meant was that I would want them to cover their entire discography and not just the latest album, which many bands who tour a country for the first time fall into the trap of doing. If they play songs like "The Howling" and "Our Solemn Hour" I'll be quite happy.

However, my comment I made months before about how I miss Sharon's old style of singing still hold true. In some parts of the title track she sounds way off key.

Heh, unfortunately at the After Forever concert....I kept wishing I was seeing Within Temptation ^_~