Sonata Arctica, Pagans Mind@ Carling Academy, Islington 21st April 2008

seraph7

elitism sucks!
Aug 19, 2007
Southern England
This is probably going to be one of my last mini review things for a while 'cos things are going to be very busy at work. No more time off!
Anyway let's get on with it, shall we?

Having missed them the last time they made their way over to Britain in support of 'Unia' I had to see them at the start of their UK Tour. It wasn't 'til a lot of the punters got to the venue that we found out the support band was Pagans Mind. Yet again I kicked myself that I hadn't heard any of their stuff before and so was unfamiliar with their set. I liked what I heard and I'll have to see about getting their latest album. They were very well received by the audience which pleased them as they hadn't been to London for two years according to the singer.

I managed to get right to the front with a prime view of Henkka's keyboards, which was a great spot for me as it's one of the main things I like about their songs. I could see everything he was doing courtesy of his tilted keystand which was great, even when tony came over during the cage and started mucking round with his pitchshifter.

I think this should be the full set list they played, (it might not be in order though!)

In Black and White
Paid in full:kickass:
Kingdom for a heart
Replica:kickass:
8th Commandment:kickass::worship:
Caleb
The words forbidden, the words forgotten
It won't Fade:kickass:
Wolf and Raven:kickass::worship:
Graven image
Don't say a word
The Cage:kickass::worship:
Vodka/ Hava Nagila

I was wondering how Elias would do with the backing vocals. I know he is definitely more than capable of replacing Jani on guitar but seeing as he used to do a lot of the really high BVs but he did some of them. Surprisingly Marko and Henkka did a lot of the backing vocals. Of course the audience filled in as well which I think the band were quite pleased about especially on the old stuff, 'Paid in Full' and 'It won't fade'. With the new stuff like' TWFTWF' and 'Caleb' people seemed less familiar. The songs seemed less immediate, more complex and harder to sing along to.
Tony had great charisma and rapport with the audience and a excellent voice. I have to mention what he was wearing as even by Sonata standards it was quite spectacular. I think those baggy pea green trousers will remain burned onto my retinas for some time...:lol:
On the whole I enjoyed myself a lot and next time they come to these shores, I'll definitely be there!

*Just a funny couple of funny stories that didn't really belong in the review but had to be included somehow...*

I think the band were having some trouble getting into the venue as we were queuing up and suddenly who appears at the front door looking a bit confused...
Tommy and Marko. They had to get a kind soul to point them in the direction of the Artiste's entrance as bless them they really didn't know what was going on. The funniest thing was the people in the queue didn't actually realise until someone said: 'That blonde guy struggling with the door and muttering has blonde hair just like Tommy' Of course it was him!:lol:

While we were waiting to get into the venue a group of chavvy kids started shouting abuse and trying to kick people in the queue. They must have been all of seven, if that. Security if you could call them that did nothing just laughed at them. If my child even thought of behaving like that I would tan his hide til next week. But that's chavs for you. I doubt their parents even knew where they were...

Wolf & Raven.. lucky :p We never get that here in the states.

Very interesting to see a band as progressive as Pagan's Mind supporting Sonata. I don't believe i would have ever expected to quite see that. But excellent. :]

Sounds like a fun night (minor chav factor aside). Thanks for the update.

I know everyone went insane when they announced it! Including myself. God, I love that song!

Where should I start with checking Pagans Mind out? Any suggestions?

The first three CDs: Infinity Divine 2001 (There are 2 versions of ID. Vocals were re-recorded and the CD was re-mixed and released with 2 bonustracks in 2004), Celestial Entrance 2002, and Enigmatic : Calling 2005 are all awesome. The latest release God's Equation 2007, though a decent CD really doesn't match to the high standards set by the three predecessors. It's not a bad CD per se, but pales out in comparison with the band's previous releases.

The first three CDs: Infinity Divine 2001 (There are 2 versions of ID. Vocals were re-recorded and the CD was re-mixed and released with 2 bonustracks in 2004), Celestial Entrance 2002, and Enigmatic : Calling 2005 are all awesome. The latest release God's Equation 2007, though a decent CD really doesn't match to the high standards set by the three predecessors. It's not a bad CD per se, but pales out in comparison with the band's previous releases.

I am a pretty longtime PM fan and remember being blown away by Celestial Entrance; however, Enigmatic:Calling, while good, just didn't seem to evolve much at all as it sounded to me like a regurgetated CE. With God's Equation I find it strange that I actually disagree with most longtime PM fans, and feel it is their best album to date. I think the sound in it is way more versatile than it has ever been and is the change they needed to not sound like they were just "regurgetating" music again like in E:C.

This is all strange to me becuase usually I agree with other longtime fans about a band's new album, which is oddly not the case with the new PM album.