Thin Lizzy @ The Vic in Chicago next Friday 4/1

Back story:

"In 1982, May Booker, a 70-year-old grandmother from England, wrote producers at the BBC. The subject of her letter was her favorite band, Thin Lizzy, hard rock's biggest act at the time. "How nice it would be," she wrote, "to play with them."

Recognizing a golden opportunity, producers reached out to the band. Lead singer Phil Lynott, raised by his paternal grandmother in Crumlin, Dublin, agreed to share the stage with Booker, who "played" an Oberheim OB-X synthesizer on the band's pre-recorded performance of "Hollywood.""

My little brother went up to NYC for his 40th birthday to see Thin Lizzy, as we were kind of raised on them (anyone who thinks U2 is the best band to come out of Ireland is high). I was interested to get his take on things as he is really into them. He said they did a great job, was very complimentary of Ricky Warwick (of The Almighty) on vocals. He said Philomena had said that this was her favorite lineup without Phil, so that has to count for something :)

If you get a chance, go see them. I know it will never be the same without Phil, but as J-Dubya said, Phil would want the music to live on. And let's face it, there isn't many bands out there that could come close to Lizzy when they hit their stride.

I'm getting amped up. About 75% sure I'm going to this show.

Let me know if you are going.
I am about 75% certain I am as well, and will probably buy a ticket within a day or two.

Bob (Diabolik) lives close by, and we were gonna get together afterwards.
We can have a Chicago Axis party that night!

And don't forget to come see me Saturday night @ Q BILLIARDS in Darien!!!! :)

Back story:

"In 1982, May Booker, a 70-year-old grandmother from England, wrote producers at the BBC. The subject of her letter was her favorite band, Thin Lizzy, hard rock's biggest act at the time. "How nice it would be," she wrote, "to play with them."

Recognizing a golden opportunity, producers reached out to the band. Lead singer Phil Lynott, raised by his paternal grandmother in Crumlin, Dublin, agreed to share the stage with Booker, who "played" an Oberheim OB-X synthesizer on the band's pre-recorded performance of "Hollywood.""

Ah, cool, thanks for that info!

I heard a couple live tracks from the current line-up this morning on the Eddie Trunk replay on knac.com. All I can say is holy shit they rock. The dual guitar work between Campbell and Gorham is incredible and the vocalist Ricky Warwick does a great job on vocals.

I heard a couple live tracks from the current line-up this morning on the Eddie Trunk replay on knac.com. All I can say is holy shit they rock. The dual guitar work between Campbell and Gorham is incredible and the vocalist Ricky Warwick does a great job on vocals.

I've acquired a couple "sampkles" of their shows after I bought my ticket, and I definitely liked what I heard.....

I was beginning to wonder if the Vic Theater was still operating there in Chicago since I hadn't seen a single tour slated for it in a looong time. Cool to see it's still an active venue since I have fond memories of it: Dream Theater twice, one of which was the Master of Puppets performance, plus another not-really-metal show* also.

--
* Pigface, Gravity Kills and Godhead, the now-legendary last show of that tour...

Let me know if you are going.
I am about 75% certain I am as well, and will probably buy a ticket within a day or two.

Bob (Diabolik) lives close by, and we were gonna get together afterwards.
We can have a Chicago Axis party that night!

And don't forget to come see me Saturday night @ Q BILLIARDS in Darien!!!! :)

Sounds awesome. I just bought my ticket for Thin Lizzy. I'd definitely be down for hanging out at the show and afterward.

Definitely will make it out to your show too! Nice gig playing with Circle II Circle!!!

I was beginning to wonder if the Vic Theater was still operating there in Chicago since I hadn't seen a single tour slated for it in a looong time. Cool to see it's still an active venue since I have fond memories of it: Dream Theater twice, one of which was the Master of Puppets performance, plus another not-really-metal show* also.

--
* Pigface, Gravity Kills and Godhead, the now-legendary last show of that tour...

It's still around, but it hardly ever gets metal acts. It seems it gets a lot of rock and alternative acts nowadays. The only time I've actually been there was when I saw Porcupine Tree there.

Sounds awesome. I just bought my ticket for Thin Lizzy. I'd definitely be down for hanging out at the show and afterward.

Definitely will make it out to your show too! Nice gig playing with Circle II Circle!!!

Awesome. I will pick up a ticket tomorrow most likely.
Wear your Uriah Heep shirt again so I can find you this time. Ha!

Make sure you bitches look for me there! I still wanna be part of the Chicago Posse even though I live in Cheeseland! :lol:

I think that's the DT show Jax & I were at, where JLB was visibly upset because the teleprompter stopped working? Like Simon said, the good rock/metal shows are few & far between there. I haven't been there since the DT show way back wheneverthehellthatwas.....

What? He uses a teleprompter? Is this for every gig, or was this just for the Master of Puppets thing?

I don't think he was using a prompter...I believe that they'd taped the lyrics to the monitors and he just lost his place and kind of gave up. Good show, though...I was standing by the soundboard and saw the MoP cuesheet early in the show, so it wasn't a surprise to me when they started "Battery."

I'm 99.9% sure there was a teleprompter (just for the MoP stuff), which caused him to storm off stage and yell at someone, once if not twice. I was about 3 deep from the front on stage right.