Things i need to know when building my own computer??

not necessarily but

you should look into this if you're gonna go windows

http://www.pcmus.com/TweakXP.htm
especially the background services section

and if you can find it (i cant at the moment) a list of windows services that are completely useless for recording which take up processor power and ram so that you can turn them off / disable them to not automatically run when they want, slowing your system down

ATTN: EVERYONE

DISREGARD THAT POST ENTIRELY.

Jeff

i meant the way pro tools runs, not macs and PC's in general!!!!

EDIT: it should read along the lines of "are any PC guys having a lot of problems with pro tools?"

hmm potential for this to go off on a big debate, so just to make clear, I'm talking about a well kept PC with no crap on it and all hardware being supported by pro tools

i meant the way pro tools runs, not macs and PC's in general!!!!

EDIT: it should read along the lines of "are any PC guys having a lot of problems with pro tools?"

hmm potential for this to go off on a big debate, so just to make clear, I'm talking about a well kept PC with no crap on it and all hardware being supported by pro tools

I do have random little issues with pro tools on PC from time to time(espeically with busy projects), but i've never really tried it on mac. It's nothing major though, and it's usually been pretty easy to figure out.

i'm sure people with Macs have some of the same issues, but they're to smug to admit to any of them:lol:

I enjoy building my own custom pc though, which you unfortunately can't do with Macs...

if your gnna be overclocking, get a processor with a higher ratio multiplier for the fsb like 8 or 9, as when your raising the fsb value and doing a 1:1 ratio with the ram freq you arent straining the mother board as much as when you would with a lower multiplier

haha ive been ocing two computers all morning :D

Find out who manufactured your chip. The consensus around here is that TI chips are good and anything else is a good reason to buy a TI-powered card, but I haven't had to worry about this myself so hopefully others can chime in to confirm.

Jeff

I enjoy building my own custom pc though, which you unfortunately can't do with Macs...

Well, that's almost true. I ordered a new computer two days ago, a core i7 PC system. I'm not going to run Windows on this one, I'm going to run OS X Leopard :) Sure if you ask Apple you can't legally do this but if I've bought a product, in this case OS X Leopard, I don't think Apple have anything to do what I'm doing with my own product for personal use.

Enough of that and back to the thread.

If you are going to buy a new computer and money isn't an issue it's no question about it that you should buy a system with an Intel core i7 CPU.

I can see two main reasons for this:

1. You get a much faster computer in all aspects.
2. You will be able to upgrade your system in the future without having to buy almost everything new. Core 2 duo and quad are both socket 775 and those mobos using dual memory channels. The new socket 1366 mobos uses triple memory channels.

So don't waste your money on the old technique if you are buying new computer products.

2. You will be able to upgrade your system in the future without having to buy almost everything new. Core 2 duo and quad are both socket 775 and those mobos using dual memory channels. The new socket 1366 mobos uses triple memory channels.

you can also do that with an amd. they are using their socket for a long time now you can even use bigger processors on old sockets. am2+ or am3 processors are am2 compatible etc. pp.