Things To Do In Atlanta

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
As a Progpower 3 attendee in 2002 I thought I might recommend some sightseeing ideas for those of you that have never been to Atlanta. It was my very first time in Atlanta so I wanted to see a bit of everything. What is nice is most hotels (not all) have free shuttle buses that will take you to your destination AND pick you up! I recommend the following with a brief description. Atlanta residents please let us know what you recommend.

1. The Coca Cola Museum: I know I know! Sounds dorky right? Thats what EVERYONE told me at the hotel (tourists). "Why would you go there?", well Coca Cola was invented in Atlanta so I thought it would be kind of interesting. WHOAH!!! This place RULES!!!!!! Heres the deal. For I think it was $6.00 you get into this huge (4 stories?) building that has all the old equipment, signage, cans, bottles, history from all over the world. A live demonstration in a mock 1950's soda shop of how the prepared coke from a real soda jerk and then comes the part that absolutely blew me away. You get to the last floor and the room opens. Lined up against one wall is a HUGE row of fountain drinks. They are all different kind of coke flavors... FROM ALL AROUND THE WORLD!!!!!! As much as you can drink with a mountain of small dixie cups piled to the ceiling!!!! They also have a cool lineup of fountain drinks where you place the small cup in the receptacle and a stram of your drink shoots through the air like 30 meet hits the cup and there you go. Please beware: The Italian coke is so bitter you better be next to the garbage can to spit it out. NASTY!!!! And on your way out they have the BIGGEST gift shop I have ever seen!!!!

2. The Martin Luther King Gravesite and Museum: No need to say anything

Vortex sounds like a must visit. Any other recommendations? I'll have a car so I plan on going somewhere. Too bad the Braves aren't in town, even though I hate them, it would be cool to see a game there.

am_ash2 said:
Go check it out:
http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/TheVortex/index.htm

The inside is really awesome- made sure you check out the skeleton on the toilet!

Hmmm, sounds interesting.

My interesting food experience this time will take place at Abdullah The Butchers BBQ Rib and Chinese Food Restaurant. I don't know where it's located exactly but I am going to do my best to find that joint.

For those that aren't aware- Abdullah is an old time pro wrestler. He's kind of a legend in the business, and was known for bloodbath matches. His restaurant is said to be pretty good, but who knows, it could be an adventure.

Britt

Here's Abdullah's info, sounds cool!

Abdullah the Butcher House of Ribs
2387 Fairburn Rd SW (I-285)
Atlanta , GA 30331
Phone: (404) 629-2332

Since i spent some time in Atlanta during the past two years as well i'll add another two places i've been in this (still very boring city to mho, still missing Chicago, hehe)

1. CNN building (in walking distance of the Marta)
2. the Zoo (Marta and additional busride)

Don't expect both 'things' as major events, but still nice to see and walk around if you have some extra time in Atlanta.

Henk

Kai-Guy said:
We have heard some things about the 'underground mall' in downtown Atlanta---anyone been there? Any suggestions?

Yea, it is called underground atlanta. It is alright, there is a sam goody and a few other shops, nothing really big. It is right beside the coca cola museum and the capitol building isn't far away. Also, one of the resturants in UA is really good, it is a 50's themed diner called Allen Rockits i think... Something like that.

Brent

Metalmilita2000 said:
... it is a 50's themed diner called Allen Rockits i think... Something like that.
That'd be Johnny Rockets. :) It's a pretty cool place, and has good food and awesome malts/milkshakes. It can get a bit pricey, though.

--Mike

And don't forget, the hotels usually have free shuttle service to AND from your destination within a certain distance (I know the Best Western Granada does). They dropped me at the Coke museum and its right next to the Underground Atlanta and Johnny Rockets. Does anyone know if the other hotels offer this?

Wishmaster said:
My favorite places for wings around town would be places like Wild Wing, Taco Mac and Loco's. Each place has several locations, so you'll probably want to do a Yahoo yellow pages search (http://yp.yahoo.com/) to find a location that fits your schedule.

--Mike

I have a favorite place, just trying to gauge where everyone else likes

symfnyx said:
Vortex sounds like a must visit. Any other recommendations? I'll have a car so I plan on going somewhere. Too bad the Braves aren't in town, even though I hate them, it would be cool to see a game there.

The Braves won't be, but the Falcons-Rams play at the Georgia Dome on Sunday the 19th. The game is a sell-out, but there's never a shortage of tix available outside the Dome. The Georgia Dome is also right there close to the CNN Center, which has been mentioned in this thread. In the CNN Center, there's a great sports grill called Jock n Jill's and Atlanta's Hard Rock Cafe is a short walk from the Dome as well. Across from the Hard Rock is Hooters, which has the best wings, albeit a big franchise and all.

If you're looking for a good bar try the Highlander on Monroe Dr., just south of the 10th St. intersection. Their jukeboxes carry Slayer, Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, etc. Good food too.