Fun things to do in and around Atlanta

DigitalMan

Feb 11, 2002
Colorado Springs, Colorado
September 8 just happens to be my wedding aniversary, so I'm considering inviting my wife along on my trip to PPUSA this year for a little get away. Not sure if she'll be there before, during, after, or not at all. That's part of the reason I'm posting this. She won't attend the show, just be there to relax away for our kids!

I'm looking for suggestions of cool places to go both in Atlanta, and within say a 4 hour drive or so. We're considering heading east to the coast, since I will go to the beach any chance I get since we can't exactly do that here in Colorado. That's about the only idea I've thought of so far. If I do head to the beach, any recommendations of areas to go to?

Thanks,
Guy

The three things I will be doing when I get down to Atlanta for Progpower 4 (Two of which I did last year at ProgPower 3) is visit the Coca Cola Museum in downtown Atlanta. Depending on the hotel you stay at they may have free shuttle to most everything in the downtown area (Best Western Granada Suites does). The Coca Cola museum although sounds kind of weird is really a treat in both historical and tasting fashion. Its about $7 per person and The Atlanta Underground Mall is right next to the entrance. The other two things are the Martin Luther King Museum and gravesite and The Atlanta Braves ballpark which I am hoping has a day game I can catch when I'm there. What hotel are you planning to stay? Take care.

- The_Q

There's the aquarium in Chattanooga, TN, about 2 hours' drive (and Ruby Falls and a few other things--maybe worth a whole day), and for the more history-minded, there's the Atlanta History Center in one of the prettiest--and most expensive--sections of town, and Stone Mountain. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I get into some history, and, of course, we Southerners can't forget about The War of Northern Oppression. ;)

There's also Six Flags, but even though I love roller coasters, I haven't been in a few years--too many people and too many sixteen-year-olds working there for my taste. And White Water and American Adventures, but I don't know about prices or hours then for any of the three.

If your wife is into plays, there's occasionally a good one in town as well.

Shaye

Hmm... Places for an anniversary couple within 4 hours of Atlanta, if not in the city itself... Three things come to mind:

1) Chateau Elan. (http://www.chateauelanatlanta.com/) A wonderful escape, just north of the city. It's hard to describe just how beautiful this place is, so check out the website. :) This place makes an excellent day trip if you decide not to stay there overnight.

2) The Sun Dial restaurant. Located on the top floor of the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel in downtown Atlanta. Good food, if not just a little pricy. Excellent view of the city (I recommend going on a clear afternoon for lunch), especially because the entire restaurant rotates :)

3) Savannah. About 4 to 4 1/2 hours from Atlanta, Savannah is one of the largest shipping ports in the country. There is also loads of Southern history to see and explore. You would need to spend at least one night there.

For general sights around Atlanta, you can visit www.accessatlanta.com to look up points of interest. Feel free to e-mail me (metallisnob@yahoo.com) if you have any questions about things to do here.

--Mike

I have to be very honest here, Atlanta is a very boring city if you don't have a car with you and have to deal with public transport.

We stayed last November 6 days in Atlanta and we saw Atlanta Zoo, The Underground, CNN center, some malls and a few bars and restaurant. That's about all there is downtown. Maybe September brings more outdoor events, but in November its quite boring if you ask me.

Don't know yet if we will be there again this year, but if, we will be in Atlanta only for the festival days.

Henk

Havermout said:
I have to be very honest here, Atlanta is a very boring city if you don't have a car with you and have to deal with public transport.

Atlanta is a very different city from what most people are used to. Many big cities in the States are pretty well packed in. Everything to see and do is right there. Atlanta is a sprawl. The downtown area (city limits) is fairly small, and is almost completely made up of corporate businesses. The Atlanta Metro area, however, is quite spread out with many areas of interest (such as Stone Mountain). Public transportation here is, I admit, not that great. The subway system was built pretty much after the fact, and, therefore, is not as extensive as similar systems in Washington DC or London. If you really want to explore Atlanta, and see all that it has to offer, you really do need to have a car and a few days. It's not that Atlanta is boring (we do have many events in downtown throughout the year), you just have to go a little farther to find the interesting things to do. Here's a site that offers information on things to do around Atlanta: http://www.atlanta.net/atlantanet/

Hope that helps!

--Mike