Amorphis in Atlanta

SoNofBitcH said:
are you sure it's not closing?
Yes, I am sure. It is NOT closing, at least, that's what I've been told. I'm not sure what the metal scene in Atlanta would have done without it. When everyone thought it was closing, no one took the lead and made an effort to be the new haven for metal. At this time, it's a necessary, and essentially the only venue for metal in Atlanta.

Pellaz said:
Wow, when did this news come out? I asked Tim about this earlier today and he didn't say it was staying open...only that no-one knew for sure when it was closing.
That's the information I've been given, and it's been from multiple sources.

Hey Paul,

I know this is WAY old school, but what ever happened to the Agora Ballroom? I spent quite a few nights there back in the early 80's, during my brief college career at Ga. Tech.

And also, did they manage to save the Fox, or is it paved over now too?

Fn Dan said:
The Fox was successfully saved.

Great news, Dan. Thanks for that. I may have to hightail it up there during the day while I'm back in Atlanta, just to get a fresh pic in front of the place. I can't believe I haven't done that in previous years. Heck, I even made the pilgrimage to the V during PP2. :dopey:

I saw some great shows at the Fox back in the day. I even slept in the entrance hall one night waiting for ticket sales to open up(wish I could recall which show that was for).

What kind of shows play there now? Is it just broadway shit? :D

Kez said:
Great news, Dan. Thanks for that. I may have to hightail it up there during the day while I'm back in Atlanta, just to get a fresh pic in front of the place. I can't believe I haven't done that in previous years. Heck, I even made the pilgrimage to the V during PP2. :dopey:

I saw some great shows at the Fox back in the day. I even slept in the entrance hall one night waiting for ticket sales to open up(wish I could recall which show that was for).

What kind of shows play there now? Is it just broadway shit? :D

All kinds of shows play there. I saw The String Cheese Incident there a few months ago, I saw Stomp there last month, Opera and ballet shows come throuh and they even show movies from time to time(like rocky horror and wizard of oz). There are a lot of broadway shows, but several acts play there when they have the selling power. Most are not metal in any way though...

-Katie

Thank you Katie! I appreciate the info.

I saw Santana, Pat Travers, and AC/DC there, among others. What a sweet place.

Do you know anything about the Agora Ballroom that used to be just up the street?

Kez said:
Thank you Katie! I appreciate the info.

I saw Santana, Pat Travers, and AC/DC there, among others. What a sweet place.

Do you know anything about the Agora Ballroom that used to be just up the street?

Nope, I have a feeling it isn't there anymore, I have never heard of it. Where was it located?

I'm certain the Agora is long-closed, but I'm not sure what happened to it.

Incidentally, the Fox was one of the venues in Atlanta that could have supported ProgPower from a logistical standpoint, but it's expensive, and overpriced at that because it's a union hall.

A shame. It's hands-down the most beautiful venue in town, and right in the top tier in terms of acoustics.

I'm not sure what they did with the Agora. I'm sure the building is still there.
Somebody bought or leased the property and is doing something with it. That place was almost straight across the street from the Fox. You could leave the Fox and pile in over there back in the day. Maiden headlined the place on NUMBER OF THE BEAST back in '82. The Plasmatics played there. I know it didn't survive for long past '82, going the way of The Great Southeast Music Hall (the Sex Pistols made their US debut here) and Alex Cooley's Electric Ballroom (see back photo of Nugent's debut album).

The Fox was a fabulous place to see a band. Back in the late '70s and early '80s, lots of metal/hard rock acts performed there. I went to that AC/DC, Pat Travers bill also (HIGHWAY TO HELL tour, '79). Accept headlined the Fox in '85 (one of the best shows I've been to). Triumph, UFO, the list goes on and on. Was anybody there in '88 when Maiden and Frehley's Comet were supposed to play and the theatre was filled to capacity? About thirty minutes after Ace finished his set, a British gentleman walked to the front of the stage and said that members of Maiden (turned out to be Bruce) were stranded on the runway in New York and to return the following night for Maiden's set. That was on 7TH SON OFA 7TH SON tour. I returned the next night and if I'm not mistaken, haven't been back since.

What about the Omni? Many stories from there also.

Layla's Dad said:
What about the Omni? Many stories from there also.
Omni has been gone a while now. In it's place is Philips Arena, which is just a stone's throw from the Georgia Dome. There are fewer shows at Philips though, because Gwinnett Arena is getting them. That actually suprises me, considering that Gwinnett Arena is outside the perimeter.

Yea...in lots of ways I miss the Omni. Then again, I haven't been big on arena shows in a long time. But the memories from our old arena are plentiful. That was usually the place when Ozzy, Maiden, or Priest made their say through Atlanta. Philips is a pretty cool place. I've seen the Thrashers there several times. I've never seen a concert there. One place I haven't been to is the Gwinnett Arena. I know lots of shows are there. Good experience?

saxshooter said:
All kinds of shows play there. I saw The String Cheese Incident there a few months ago, I saw Stomp there last month, Opera and ballet shows come throuh and they even show movies from time to time(like rocky horror and wizard of oz). There are a lot of broadway shows, but several acts play there when they have the selling power. Most are not metal in any way though...

-Katie

I think TSO played there a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure that's where I went. Probably about the closest to metal that's been there, though.

S

lady_space said:
I think TSO played there a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure that's where I went. Probably about the closest to metal that's been there, though.

S

Yeah, I think you are right. I ment to got to that concert, but didn't have the funds at the time to make it.
:cry:

Yep, TSO played there. Closest thing to a metal show there for a while, but other excellent hard-rock bands have played there in the past.

Gwinnett Arena is actually pretty cool. It's a ways out from the city, but it's a nice venue, easy to get to, and it has plenty of free parking, which on some busy nights downtown translates to $20 saved. I've seen TSO there twice, and this past year's show, in half-house format, was one of the best shows I've seen from them yet.

I've got plenty of great memories from the Omni. I was at the last concert there ever (Metallica), and saw Rush there for 6 or 7 tours in a row. Saw both of Metallica's back-to-back shows there in 1992 from inside the stage looking out past the band at the crowd, back when 'Tallica wuz still cool. THAT was neet. I had second-row tix for Triumph at the Omni once...waited in line for tickets in subfreezing weather overnight for 'em. Brrrr, but well-worth it.

I never actually set foot in the old Metroplex, but my roommate used to be part of the staff. Later we migrated to the Wreck Room, which was a dive.....but it was OUR dive. With bands like Stuck Mojo and Sevendust either performing or practicing in the building on the same night sometimes, it was a great focus for metal in Atlanta since it had thirteen practice-spaces. Sadly, it didn't survive the Olympics.

Ahhhh, memories. :D

Pellaz said:
Later we migrated to the Wreck Room, which was a dive.....but it was OUR dive. With bands like Stuck Mojo and Sevendust either performing or practicing in the building on the same night sometimes, it was a great focus for metal in Atlanta since it had thirteen practice-spaces. Sadly, it didn't survive the Olympics.

Ahhhh, memories. :D

So that's what happened to that! And here I thought I was just senile and couldn't remember where it was. A friend of mine's band used to practice there back in the day. I don't think I was even 21 yet.

Shaye

lady_space said:
So that's what happened to that! And here I thought I was just senile and couldn't remember where it was. A friend of mine's band used to practice there back in the day. I don't think I was even 21 yet.

Shaye

The actual structure is still there, and is in service as 'The Library,' a venue geared for preppie Techies. I wonder if the same giant rats still prowl the basement? (But damnit, they were OUR giant rats.....)

Those Wreck Room days were fun. At one time, Bonz (from Stuck Mojo) was the parking-lot money-taker. My friend Kelly was the 'resident manager' of the club, and lived in a small but kinda neet loft apartment just to the left and above the main concert-room. Cool place to live, except when he was trying to sleep and a band or two were practicing in their practice-spaces right next to him. He'd collect the rent from the bands, and a part of it was his to keep for living expenses. Sometimes, when the bands couldn't afford their rent (this happened with Sevendust, aka Crawlspace, at least once), the club owner would let them work at the club in lieu of rent....which kinda killed Kelly's "cut." :tickled:

Those were the days..... On a good night, there'd be five bands playing inside, four or five bands playing on the "beach" in back, and several of the 'resident' bands practicing and hanging out. The cross-pollination and good vibes really helped make a lot of friends, and encouraged the local metal scene. The landlord tripled the rent for the Olympics, the Wreck Room's owner ("Toe") offered to pay it (still), but to no avail.