Fun things to do for a day trip in Atlanta?

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
The Sunday right after ProgPower is over, my girlfriend (who has no interest in coming to the main fest), is coming into Atlanta to spend the day. We're not from Atlanta, so we're at a loss as to what to do while we hang out.

We were thinking Braves game or Falcons game, but both teams are away on that Sunday:erk:. Then I thought about the aquarium, but it's a bit expensive (26 bucks each), especially after a pretty expensive weekend already.

Anyone from Atlanta care to give us some cheap, fun ideas of what to do for the day?

There's the High Museum of Art if you find that kind of thing fun. Most museums have cheaper student entry if you happen to still be one. I know some even only ask students for a donation which can be any amount. Few seem to do that these days though.

Just go down to Little 5 Points and hang out, check out the shops, and eat at the main Vortex base (or a variety of other places there, like Savage Pizza or L5P Pizza). Even if you can't afford much by that point, window-shopping is free and the L5P area has a fairly bohemian clientele....although it's not as cool as it used to be back in the day.

If you'll have a vehicle, get with me during PP and I'll give you directions to the sorta-kinda secret free parking lot "behind" L5P. No vehicle? You can ride MARTA to the Inman Park/Reynoldstown station (East line) and walk north about a half-mile to L5P.

I'm not from Atlanta, but I enjoy some of the touristy things each year... there's also World of Coke ($15 for Coke propaganda!), CNN Center Tour, the top of the Westin Peachtree (the top two floors rotate - one's a lounge, one's a restaurant, but for $7, there's a look and see level, which is great on a clear day). I've also wanted to go to Zoo Atlanta.

Just go down to Little 5 Points and hang out, check out the shops, and eat at the main Vortex base (or a variety of other places there, like Savage Pizza or L5P Pizza). Even if you can't afford much by that point, window-shopping is free and the L5P area has a fairly bohemian clientele....although it's not as cool as it used to be back in the day.
I love this area. I joined kellsco and a few other new friends there last year on Saturday for lunch at the Vortex (awesome food, awesome atmosphere - assuming you are not offended by smoking, fried food, cooked animal products or alcohol) and some shopping at the Junkman's Daughter (really interesting shop). I would have loved to explore this area a little more if we hadn't had to get back for the show that night.

I'm not from Atlanta, but I enjoy some of the touristy things each year... there's also World of Coke ($15 for Coke propaganda!), CNN Center Tour, the top of the Westin Peachtree (the top two floors rotate - one's a lounge, one's a restaurant, but for $7, there's a look and see level, which is great on a clear day). I've also wanted to go to Zoo Atlanta.

Just a tip...you may want to check and see if this is still an option. After the tornado that tore through downtown Atlanta last March, the Westin is still waaaaay out of sorts...Most of the windows are still missing and there's no telling if the restaurant still "rotates" around. I would hate for people to come to Atlanta and be expecting to do this and its only a "half-assed view" or something LOL...Apparently after the tornado, the Westin needed to replace hundreds of panes of glass, but with the new codes on buildings, the glass has to be special ordered to be a certain kind of glass and that's what's holding them up on fixing it. The clean up is taking way longer than expected.

I know this is gonna sound stupid, but I love the Coca Cola museum. It's worth every penny. Plus you get to drink free Coke products from every country in the world! Woo Hoo!!

Obviously, it's not as fun as the Sam Adams Brewery tour in Boston, but...

Little Five Points is probably your best bet. Great restaurants and cool stores.

The Coke museum is ok, I guess. I haven't been to the new location though. Probably should since it's about a 7-minute walk from my house.

If you have never been, I highly suggest you go to the Georgia Aquarium. SkiBumMSP and I went there a couple of years ago. We didn't have enough time to see all of it, but if you have the time, this is a definate "must see" attraction.

Regarding the World of Coca-Cola - I haven't been to the new one yet. Does anybody know if it is any different than the old one? IIRC, it was just a big advertisment for some brown sugary drink :) But the best part was drinking sodas from other countries. Some were pretty cool... some were weird... and some were downright nasty! But overall it was a fun way to kill an afternoon.

There's the High Museum of Art if you find that kind of thing fun. Most museums have cheaper student entry if you happen to still be one. I know some even only ask students for a donation which can be any amount. Few seem to do that these days though.

We did the High Museum of Art the first year and it was way cool. Also, there is some great architecture and a beautiful park to walk around down there as well.

We did the High Museum of Art the first year and it was way cool. Also, there is some great architecture and a beautiful park to walk around down there as well.

I haven't been there but I do love museums. One of these days I'll head out early enough to have a free day before for sightseeing. Or stay till Monday and go Sunday but knowing me I'd end up just doing nothing Sunday to recover so going early would be the best idea.

A few of us (2) are considering going to the Coke Museum on Saturday morning - it's only 3 miles from the venue. Cab fare can't be much, if anyone's interested (barring cool sponsor things to do that day for me anyway)

It's been re-done, and I haven't been to the new one, but for the record, I thought the World of Coke was a big waste of money. Tasting the different products was cool, though.

What about Stone Mountain? Parking is $8, and you'll really need a car to get to it, but it's a cool little climb and a great view.

And, to the best of my knowledge, all the shops in L5P close around 6 on Sunday. Which is perfect IMO, 'cuz then you can hit the Vortex for a beer and a burger. :)

The last 5 years I've come to PP I haven't had time to go to any of the places I wanted to visit. This year will be different. I'm doing the City Pass tour. You start at the World of Coca-Cola and have up to 9 days to visit five other attractions. I'll be going to Coca-Cola, the Atlanta aquarium, and CNN on Wednesday. Then on Thursday the High Museum of Art and the Botanical Gardens. The zoo is included but I'm skipping that. You can also go to Atlanta History Center in Buckhead and the Fernbank Museum of Natural History but they're pretty far from my hotel. It costs $69 for 6 attractions. Not bad.

If you have never been, I highly suggest you go to the Georgia Aquarium. SkiBumMSP and I went there a couple of years ago. We didn't have enough time to see all of it, but if you have the time, this is a definate "must see" attraction.

Regarding the World of Coca-Cola - I haven't been to the new one yet. Does anybody know if it is any different than the old one? IIRC, it was just a big advertisment for some brown sugary drink :) But the best part was drinking sodas from other countries. Some were pretty cool... some were weird... and some were downright nasty! But overall it was a fun way to kill an afternoon.

1. The OP said, "cheap" things to do. the Georgia Aquarium is NOT cheap. It's quite expensive. It's cool as hell, but it ain't cheap.

2. It would only be cool to taste all the Coke products if you like Coke.

That's weird. I thought that we were both a bit underwhelmed by the High Art Museum.

What about Stone Mountain? Parking is $8, and you'll really need a car to get to it, but it's a cool little climb and a great view.

I saw Stone Mountain when I was a kid. It is very cool. I'd love to go back.

As a warning, as of a month ago most of the scenic elevator shaft up to the 72nd floor has its windows blocked or boarded up, so THAT part of the ride is pretty boring now.

HOWEVER, for a quick, fun, free ride in downtown, go to the Marriott Marquis (one block east of Peachtree Street, between Harris and Baker, BIIIG fat-looking hotel) and ride the atrium elevators up to the 47th floor. It is hands-down one of the most amazing hotel lobbies you will EVER see.

The last 5 years I've come to PP I haven't had time to go to any of the places I wanted to visit. This year will be different. I'm doing the City Pass tour. You start at the World of Coca-Cola and have up to 9 days to visit five other attractions. I'll be going to Coca-Cola, the Atlanta aquarium, and CNN on Wednesday. Then on Thursday the High Museum of Art and the Botanical Gardens. The zoo is included but I'm skipping that. You can also go to Atlanta History Center in Buckhead and the Fernbank Museum of Natural History but they're pretty far from my hotel. It costs $69 for 6 attractions. Not bad.

Wow, that's actually pretty good. Do you buy those passes only at World of Coke?

Oh, I LOVE the Atlanta History Center--definitely worth the trouble to make the drive. Besides, you can ooh and ahh at the big houses over there, including IIRC the governor's mansion.

Yippee, one of these years if we're not all hung over, maybe we can go to Stone Mountain on Friday or Saturday. KimK has an annual parking pass, I think. And if not, like I said, it's $8. :)

Oh, I LOVE the Atlanta History Center--definitely worth the trouble to make the drive. Besides, you can ooh and ahh at the big houses over there, including IIRC the governor's mansion.

Yippee, one of these years if we're not all hung over, maybe we can go to Stone Mountain on Friday or Saturday. KimK has an annual parking pass, I think. And if not, like I said, it's $8. :)

Kick ass that would be a blast!

I did the City Pass thing as well, with the Fernbank museum and Atlanta History Center, and I really liked the Atlanta History Center. I've been to Stone Mountain as well, and I really think that's one of the prettiest things close to Atlanta if you love nature. Awesome view, fun walk up to the top (especially if you try it on loose sandals)... World of Coke is impressive, but it's -like others said- one big coke-advertisement. And the only drink I liked there was the Nestea Peche Blanche from France, all the rest was way too sugary for me. CNN is really interesting to do too.