this article angers me

To be perfectly honest (and I'm fully prepared for a lashing for saying this) I have always thought most of Maiden's albums were inconsistent, which is probably why they aren't even on my top 5 or even 10 bands.

Are you out of your freaking mind dude ?!?!?! I feel the exact same way. I grew up when Maiden was in their prime. I "liked" them, but preferred many other bands over them. It is nothing against them, but Maiden being more or less Steve's band, I always felt the guitars were too far back in the mix and therefore didn't have that "power" that throws you back in the chair.

Bryant

I agree with the article and 100% of what GENERAL ZOD has posted.

IMO, not only is the songwriting lacking but the newer stuff has a sound that is far too "raw" or something... I can't quite put my finger on it but basically the sound of the instruments sound weird/un-Metal like. Almost like Maiden is trying to prove they can play Metal with Jazz musicians gear & programming setup. The album "A Matter of Life and Death" is a good example of this horrible sound. For instance, musical purist will complain about an overly processed snare drum but for Metal music I like my snare drum to be heavily processed. The production, sound & mix of the instruments in recent Maiden albums just aren't right...

Oh and before any "younger Maiden fans" reply to this, go listen to the song "Iron Maiden - (1984) Powerslave - 01 - Aces High" and tell me how anything post 1990 can compare with it...

Skyrefuge, I think you put together a very thoughtful post and I am one of the "old" fans you speak of regarding maiden. I have seen them from 1983-2008 and I agree they have developed an audience of younger fans digging the newer music. However, I realized that many of those fans were disrespectful to the "older" fans who have supported this band since before many of the younger fans were born. This was my personal experience which may have lead me to not seeing maiden again.

I think skyrefuge, tenebre, and Hestis hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of folks who believe that Maiden continues to release exceptional music, and oftentimes, songs don't become classics without repeated plays. I think the majority of people who don't care for the newer stuff really didn't bother to listen to it in the first place. Most bands are going to have that one album or that era of releases that can't be topped, but that doesn't mean that their newer material is not worth the time of day. I like Maiden's stance on presenting new songs to their audience. Even though I was disappointed with "A Matter Of Life And Death," I thought the songs came off rather well live, and I give the guys nothing but respect for having the balls to play the whole album. My beef with Maiden lies in their selection of older material for the stage. If they're going to play a set of mostly new material, do they really need to bombard us with the same five old songs at the end of the set? Furthermore, do they really need to include those same five songs in their "nostalgic" sets as well? I know you can't please everybody, but I think there are better ways to work with setlists. I think Iron Maiden needs to learn a lesson in setlist preparation from their latest opening act.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert