THIS IS HELL!!! wow...

dRIFTWOOD

Nov 15, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
my apologies if this has already been discussed but....this cd CRUSHES!!! It kills everything in it's path, shrieking and growling and shredding steel all the while. The songs are more artfully arranged, the overall vibe is even more aggressive...infreakincredible. I was figuring this one would be a worthy counter-part to "Silent Night Fever", but it actually goes a step further. Slightly less melodic parts, yet just enough to keep from being stagnant. I want someone to name a cd more violent and yet at the same time intelligent than this one. Sure CARNAL FORGE are impressively nasty, but D-ZERO's songwriting is several steps ahead of them, and with more variety. Bottom line: DIMENSION ZERO ARE THE NEW KINGS OF THRASH...and TestAment definitely has their work cut out for them in topping the brutality contained on this disc. Dont get me wrong, our Guys have and always will be my overall favorite metal band, but D-Zero are damn sure standing in the number 2 spot just on the other side of the wooden door with bloody chainsaw in hand.
I recall talking with Eric after the NYE show down here in San Diego. I told him I couldn't wait for the new cd to come out and subsequently put the Haunteds/Dimension Zeros of the world in their place. You know, remind them of who they learned to thrash from. He laughed and said, "No problem...that stuffs "Kinder-metal". Just wait and see." I completely believe him, the new cd will surely slay all comers. But "This Is Hell" has substantially upped the ante in the metal realm. Let the Battle for Thrash Supremecy begin!!!

Hard to believe that this new disc is 'kinder-metal'! For the past year I've been blown away with one release after the last from a whole bunch of bands but this one, damn...pins the head to the wall.

As I listen to it, it reminds me a bit of early Destruction, with songs (Killing my Sleep, The Final Destination) leaning on a single riff for the whole track. If I like the riff, having a whole song of it is fuckin' better. And, that familiar Swedish sound...

My favorite song is Amygdala.

I didn't mean to say that it sounds like early Destruction, just that some of the songs' arrangements give off that sort of style. Just a though I had.

Speaking of Destruction, I am having a hard time getting into their new one, Metal Discharge. It's a bit different than their previous two releases which I love. A hard time, maybe because of all the freakin' competition, like This is Hell... Too much good stuff!

yes, you guys HAVE to get this one!!! it is fantastic! INSANIA...my fave is "the final destination", and "amygdala" is close behind! Also, isn't the Intro cool as hell??? "it's like falling...without hitting the ground..." try listening to that at max volume at night ALONE in your house...it will freak you out!!! like a good horror movie, you have an idea that all "HELL" is about to break loose, you're just not sure when, and then...woo-hoo!!

dRIFTWOOD said:
yes, you guys HAVE to get this one!!! it is fantastic! INSANIA...my fave is "the final destination", and "amygdala" is close behind! Also, isn't the Intro cool as hell??? "it's like falling...without hitting the ground..." try listening to that at max volume at night ALONE in your house...it will freak you out!!! like a good horror movie, you have an idea that all "HELL" is about to break loose, you're just not sure when, and then...woo-hoo!!
I'm getting into this release, & it's real good Thrash Metal, but I think Silent Night Fever is a better record, and this new DZ is a very short album, almost to short in time to be called an album.......?.......Can't wait to see them live!....And I do suggest you pick it up if your into their last effort SNF!