This Is Rather Strange

Actually they really don't have a point. It's more of a preference. If it is temptation for them they should cut back on it or even cut it off. They should not unleash it on everyone else though... as if it is a temptation for us also. These things need to stay at personal not for everyone.
Which is why some artists should not display how freely they can do/say/show/sing whatever they like in front of their audience (they usually do not have requirements for their audience like if they will be tempted/offended by stuff they're going to do). Just like Pauls advise not to eat meat that might have been sacrficed in temples, in front of others.

For example: suppose I would send my children to a Theocracy gig, 'knowing' what they can expect, based on what I know about Theocracy from their albums, their video's, their websites. Now suppose one of their new songs is some deathmetal song, with grunts and all, and Matt, supporting the story the song is telling, would dress up like how a demon is supposed to look. That would be some kind of shocking. So, yeah, maybe I could handle that (I wouldn't like it), but exposing my children to that kind of stuff.... Even though the intentions would be right.

Also, Christian artists should be aware of what they show on stage is everything the audience will see. They should be careful about the message they're sending. They should not leave the impression that Christian artists are just artists with a weird hobby (just the same like any other band, but with just different lyrics). It should be clear what they stand for (lyrics can do the job here, but they should be clear), or they should not say they're a Christian band. (There's a difference between a Christian band and a band with Christian members.) It's hard to precisely describe what I mean here, but I hope you get what I mean.

And here's the bunch of IMHO's I forgot to add in: IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO.

Well said.

I personally would not be offended by a person dressed as a demon... but again this is a preference thing. Good thing you added the "IMHO", a very humble thing to do. :headbang: Your point is very good in the end.

I'm fairly certain its okay to discount anything said by someone who claims to be a "rock guitarist" and then proceeds to reference Sandi Patti and Amy Grant as rock musicians.

I think the author would probably die of a heart attack if he heard Dave Mustaine proclaiming the gospel to Satanist while on tour with Slayer. Now that's what I can a ministry with courage.

Also, I can't help but think of George at a time like this...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are not only bad things in this article...
Some Christian band, mainly in Death Metal, make Satanic-inspired music. Do you imagine these Death-Core music and growls in Heaven ? I don't. Death Metal is called "Death Metal", beccause it comes from death and brings death. However God can use some of these bands to bring His message to non-Christian people. I have listened to death for a short while, but it just made me think about suicide (but there is not only Death Metal bands that makes this).

Also be carreful with Christian-commercial bands, they use God to make money, and the lyrics are often not good.

You can judge music, seeing what it produces in you (but you can have illusions don't forget).
For exemple, Theocracy is (for me) a good band to listen to : the music doesn't bring death, at the contrary, you are happy when you listen to it :D
And the lyrics are so inspired ! But I'm not perfect and I don't know if all the things I think are true.

About the long hair, I don't think it means that you're Satanist, you can have long hair and be more faithfull than someone who have shorter hair :p

Also, Christian artists should be aware of what they show on stage is everything the audience will see. They should be careful about the message they're sending. They should not leave the impression that Christian artists are just artists with a weird hobby (just the same like any other band, but with just different lyrics). It should be clear what they stand for (lyrics can do the job here, but they should be clear), or they should not say they're a Christian band. (There's a difference between a Christian band and a band with Christian members.) It's hard to precisely describe what I mean here, but I hope you get what I mean.
I totally agree.
I have recently been deceived seeing pictures of Skillet (I like their music a lot too, but I'm not sure they have good influences on me), in which Cooper made this sign. :(

@theocracy : keep up working with God, let Him be the main part of the band, and you will have success (maybe not being world wide famous, but you'll be satisfied). Don't try to make things like people of the World do, just let God lead you. God Bless you !

PS : I'm young (16 years old) so, I haven't a long experience with God and I may be wrong on certain things. Please forgive me (and correct me) if I'm wrong :).

Let's see what you're misguided about....

1. Fail. "Death" metal is a human term. Sounds cannot be evil, only the lyrics. "Death" growls are fine, and God loves everyone, including those vocalists. And He calls us not to be judgmental.
Some very good, Christian metal bands that utilize those vocals: Mortification, As I Lay Dyinig, Becoming the Archetype.

2. What is wrong with the rockfist? It is simply a symbol that expresses Cooper's passion for Rock. And he chooses to use that rock to express his absolute love for Jesus. If you knew them, as people, like I do (my girlfriend goes to their church), you would know that every member of Skillet is 100% Christian, and live for Him. And their lyrics are incredible, and honest. Cooper lives by the motto "Love God, love others, love rock"....meaning God comes first in his life, then his friends and family (and everyone), THEN rock. The dude has his priorities 100% straight. They don't care about the money (look at the band for the last 14 years.....out of all of them, they have only gotten popular in the last 2. If they cared about money, they would have broken up long ago). They just make music that people WANT to listen to in order to spread God's love.

No offense to anyone, but bands that ONLY get Christian attention because their music says "Jesus" every other word are great....for Christians. But, bands like Skillet, who do break out of the Christian market into the mainstream, have the potential to bring non-believes to Christ. They have the potential to save thousands of people (and some bands, like Skillet, HAVE saved thousands of people). Furthermore, none of Skillet's lyrics have any sort of negative influence whatsoever....their negative songs are ALL completely honest and relevant to Christian life. If we were perfect, if there were no darkness, if there were no sin, then why did Christ die? Ignoring the negativity is saying that His sacrifice was worthless.

And if you think Skillet has EVER compromised their faith, check out this video from a couple DAYS ago:

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Fail. "Death" metal is a human term. Sounds cannot be evil, only the lyrics. "Death" growls are fine, and God loves everyone, including those vocalists. And He calls us not to be judgmental.
Some very good, Christian metal bands that utilize those vocals: Mortification, As I Lay Dyinig, Becoming the Archetype.
OK, I like As I Lay Daying and Becoming The Archetype (these are the only Death Metal bands I listen to) but I think it has bad influences on me (but I listen to it because I like it, strange isn't it ??). I know God loves them, but I don't know if He loves their music, I'm not Him :). God bless them anyway !

2. What is wrong with the rockfist? It is simply a symbol that expresses Cooper's passion for Rock. And he chooses to use that rock to express his absolute love for Jesus. If you knew them, as people, like I do (my girlfriend goes to their church), you would know that every member of Skillet is 100% Christian, and live for Him. And their lyrics are incredible, and honest. Cooper lives by the motto "Love God, love others, love rock"....meaning God comes first in his life, then his friends and family (and everyone), THEN rock. The dude has his priorities 100% straight. They don't care about the money (look at the band for the last 14 years.....out of all of them, they have only gotten popular in the last 2. If they cared about money, they would have broken up long ago). They just make music that people WANT to listen to in order to spread God's love.
Ok, thank you FleshAndBloodTheocracy, I'm happy to discover that I've been mistaken about Skillet (I love Skillet's music, this is my #1 Rock band followed by Red -and Theocracy my #1 Metal band :D-). God bless them !

Thank you for information !

their negative songs are ALL completely honest and relevant to Christian life
This is a good thing that you put on emphasis. Some bands (I'm not judging, what they do isn't bad !!) only speak about the "good" (advantageous) side of Christian life, but there are also struggles in Christian life (and the band Red mostly speaks about it).

Well.... Extol once used the fact that "God's voice is mightier than thunder, and may sound dreadful since it's power is so awesome" , this is not a direct quote but I read something in the veins of that. That being said, in the song Undeceived, the band uses a harsh growl, and when it comes to a line that's "spoken" by God the voice goes even more darker. That is meant to show exactly what the fore-mentioned quote meant.

And I've been listening to melodic death, some black/death and death for quite some time, and none of it has inspired me to think about death, especially not suicide.
Life inspired me to think about death. Haha...

If anything, the ONLY bad influences I had from metal was from bands like Heavenly, who support the idea of enjoying life to the fullest, but to me that seems like hedonism and I can't relate to that (read the lyrics of a song called Carpe Diem for instance). It's not just that band, many rock/metal artists support that... I don't, and I can't agree. (That's music you can hear the lyrics, and are more likely to be influenced by, but with death metal, you can't really make out the lyrics most of the time, that's what I mean.)
But I like the music anyways. As long as a band isn't fully atheistic or anti-Christian I can appreciate it.

It's like having a conversation with someone, if that person is a Christian, you can relate and enjoy the conversation.
If the person is an atheist you can respect them and get along fine.

If the person is a rabid Christ-bashing close minded individual it'll be very hard to get along with him, since he disapproves with the core of my being, and that's why I can't talk to him, and that's why I can't listen to Dimmu Borgir.

PS : I'm young (16 years old) so, I haven't a long experience with God and I may be wrong on certain things. Please forgive me (and correct me) if I'm wrong :).

THAT... is a sign of humility. :) Good to see that. BTW the wrock fist is just an expression for rock. Also, death metal is no problem with me, but some of it can make you have bad thoughts. IMO it's just preference... If it makes you stumble don't listen to it but it's not wrong for someone else to listen to it. Thumbs up dude and welcome to the fold! :lol: