Jul 6, 2002
Montreal
www.mindspell.org

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/12/opinion/12thu4.html

How Hip-Hop Music Lost Its Way and Betrayed Its Fans

• javascript:document.emailThis.submit();

By BRENT STAPLES
Published: May 12, 2005
African-American teenagers are beset on all sides by dangerous myths about race. The most poisonous one defines middle-class normalcy and achievement as "white," while embracing violence, illiteracy and drug dealing as "authentically" black. This fiction rears its head from time to time in films and literature. But it finds its most virulent expression in rap music, which started out with a broad palette of themes but has increasingly evolved into a medium for worshiping misogyny, materialism and murder.

This dangerous narrowing of hip-hop music would be reason for concern in any case. But it is especially troubling against the backdrop of the 1990's, when rappers provoked a real-world gang war by using recordings and music videos to insult and threaten rivals. Two of the music's biggest stars - Tupac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G. - were eventually shot to death.

People who pay only minimal attention to the rap world may have thought the killings would sober up the rap community. Not quite. The May cover of the hip-hop magazine Vibe was on the mark when it depicted fallen rappers standing among tombstones under the headline: "Hip-Hop Murders: Why Haven't We Learned Anything?"

I dunno. 50 cent is a lot less talented than the 90s generation of rappers (Snoop, Dre, etc) and a measure more repugnant in terms of suck-my-dick-bitch attitude. if only for artistic reasons, at some point the public is going to buy less of the thug-image rappers.