This KID is awesome

Who is this kid? Is this that Jerry C kid? I had a student worker that was playing a vid of something on this order (different tune) and all it said was Jerry C at the top....

:OMG: I'd like to know how old this kid is. By the size of his hands, he was pretty young. He was a little stiff, but I don't think he's gonna be JUST a shredder. He's VERY young and I think he might develop into something special.

I saw a vid of Criss Oliva (RIP - my guitar God!!) when he was 17 playing Eruption (he was already better than Eddie then!!) and you could see (and hear!!) him get better every year. I don't think this kid is anywhere near 17.

My $0.02.

Chris :headbang:

BABS said:
LOL. There is somewhat of a point there, if the sound is not crisp or clear who wants to listen to a bunch of garbled wankage?
clarity or not, i mean SPEED is overrated. with enough practice anyone can shred all day. what makes a few players really leave an impact on me is those who understand that although technical skill is a useful tool, ultimately music is an art form, and splattering the canvas with paint might be impressive to some, but i prefer a coherent image. The true masters are ones who are capable of using whatever is available to them to create meticulously rendered works of art, with purpose, composition, and expression.

the short version: note choice > speed.

That kid's not bad for his age (whatever that is) but age is all relative with music. It's great when someone can get a good head start on technique, but as has been mentioned, it doesn't matter if they never do anything interesting with it musically. A really young kid with great technique who can't actually make music is really just a sideshow.

I had a student who was probably better than that kid, if a little sloppy, in his mid teens (not driving yet so maybe 15). That kid improved so much in the period of a year it was unbelievable (then his mom had some problem with the store I work at and pulled him out of lessons for a while :( ). But I'm not gonna claim he's the next big thing until I hear some music come out of him. Still, big potential.

One of my current students (definitely not as advanced) mentioned this thing to me last week, and now I'm definitely going to have him work on it, 'cause frankly I don't think most of it is that incredible. Pretty typical "technical" guitar instrumental for the most part.

Kenneth R. said:
clarity or not, i mean SPEED is overrated. with enough practice anyone can shred all day. what makes a few players really leave an impact on me is those who understand that although technical skill is a useful tool, ultimately music is an art form, and splattering the canvas with paint might be impressive to some, but i prefer a coherent image. The true masters are ones who are capable of using whatever is available to them to create meticulously rendered works of art, with purpose, composition, and expression.

the short version: note choice > speed.

The kid looked like someone in the early teens (wouldn't it be too cool if it was a girl not a guy???) and if you can play that well at 13 or 14, you are going to be a true artist as you get older.

Greykiller said:
The kid looked like someone in the early teens (wouldn't it be too cool if it was a girl not a guy???) and if you can play that well at 13 or 14, you are going to be a true artist as you get older.

I can name a bunch of Shrapnel guys that pretty much fizzeled into obscurity who probably played just as well if not better at that age.

Either way, the kids got chops.

edit: the best video in this thread is the one of the kid doing the robot :D

Greykiller said:

There is a girl that lives in my town( I think she is 15 now) who is supposed to be the shit on guitar. Her name is Chelsea Constable. When I saw Steve Vai last in NC, he had her play with him as a special guest. I had left by then and did not hear her play. Google her name and you can read about her.

Here is what one site says about her:

Chelsea Constable
13-year-old Chelsea Ann Constable is nothing less than a guitar-shredding prodigy. Barely a teenager, Constable already has her own instructional DVD, Extreme Riffs, scheduled for release in July 2003, a trophy case full of awards including being named the Best Young Shredder at the 2001 summer NAMM Show in Nashville, and a slew of professional endorsements including Peavey Amps, Seymour Duncan pickups, Gibson Guitars and Gibson Strings. The Kingsport, Tenn. native, who was featured in the November 2002 issue of Guitar Player, also has performed with her band as an opening act for King's X and Fishbone.

http://www.calacanis.com/2006/01/17/this-video-thing-is-gonna-be-really-big/

This is JerryC doing it...the real guy who first did the song like this.

For the most part the song isn't that complex really, its just the sweeping which really takes the skill. And really all this kid did was practice it over and over - he even copied JerryC's style at parts (except the end). Not saying he's lame, but like others have said - speed and stuff like this doesn't impress me as much anymore.

Seen lots of kid prodigy's on the guitar - but where do they end up in 10 years? Working behind a desk doing nothing. Lets see them do the music and use those skills with their own compositions!

nevermind the speed, love the melodic structure of the song, who wrote that song? what band plays it?

Yeah, Trans-Siberian Orchestra does a good version of it too (Christmas Canon Rock on the 3rd X-mas CD). During Christmas time they play the one with the kids choir, but I don't like it as much.