This movie sounds epic!

TD

HAS INTEGRITY
Entertainment - E! Online Movies
The "Freddy vs. Jason" Smackdown
Tue Aug 6, 1:45 AM ET

By Josh Grossberg

It's the bloodbath celluloid teenagers have been dreading for years.

• New Line plotting Freddy vs. Jason

E! Online Photo

New Line Cinema has finally given the go-ahead to Freddy vs. Jason, the studio's long-planned but long-stalled match-up of modern-day horror icons Freddy Krueger of Nightmare on Elm Street fame and Friday the 13th's Jason Vorhees.

Robert Englund will reprise his Freddy alter ego for the eighth time in the project, which will also star Brad Renfro (best known as the kid from The Client), according to Daily Variety. No word on who will don the hockey mask for Jason, a role essayed by several actors in the past, most recently Kane Hodder.

New Line has tapped Hong Kong director Ronny Yu (Bride of Chucky) to helm the gory goings-on, which reportedly will revolve around Renfro trying to stay alive after getting caught between the two slash-happy ghouls as they duel to the un-death.

The battle royale, which should give new meaning to the term "faceoff," has been on the drawing board for nearly a decade. Ever since New Line secured the rights to the Friday the 13th franchise in 1993, the studio has tried to put two of the most successful (in terms of bloodletting and box office) movie maniacs on the same screen together. (The studio released all seven Nightmare flicks.)

It will be the eighth cinematic foray for the Fedora-wearing, Ginsu-gloved Freddy Krueger. Krueger boasts an impressive history of terror, having killed countless teens as a high school janitor before being burned to a crisp by a vindictive PTA. He first returned to haunt the dreams of sleeping adolescents in 1984's A Nightmare on Elm Street and eventually went on to star in six sequels, the last of which was 1994's Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

While going for maximum body count, Freddy will encounter some seriously stiff competition in that mute undead killing machine otherwise known as Jason.

Best known for stalking sexually active teens at summer camps throughout the '80s, Jason has technically wielded the sharp objects in the series' nine sequels (his mom drew first blood in 1980's original Friday the 13th). His blood lust has taken him from Camp Crystal Lake to Hades (1993's Jason Goes to Hell) and even outer space (this year's Jason X).

Such franchise monster bouts have long been movie fodder, going as far back as 1942's Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. In the intervening years we've seen 1963's King Kong vs. Godzilla, 1964's Godzilla vs. Mothra, 1966's Billy the Kid vs. Dracula, 1971's Frankenstein vs. Dracula and 1979's Kramer vs. Kramer (okay, maybe not that last one).

In fact, New Line's announcement of Freddy vs. Jason comes just weeks after 20th Century Fox announced its own monster smackdown, Alien vs. Predator.

The most-anticipated of the recently green-lighted franchise showdowns is Warner Bros.' Superman vs. Batman, a project being prepped by Wolfgang Petersen in which the rival crimefighters butt heads after battling evil.

New Line will try to beat its rivals to theaters by beginning production on Freddy vs. Jason before the others. Cameras are slated to roll September 9 in Vancouver for a 2003 release.

I know TD, sounds cool huh? I personally have been waiting for , ohhhhh, about five years for this movie(Freddy VS Jason). I honestly don't know if I can believe that it will ever happen until I get to the actual screening of this flick. I think I may need someone to pinch me when(or if) it finally comes out. Hey, those others movies sound cool too! I know I've heard about "Alien VS Predator" for about seven years! It's that battle of the rumored movies! Certainly sounds like a winner to me though, if they come out.

Cheerz!

AugDawg

In all seriousness, I think it is gonna be one of the worst fucking films ever. It will be so cheesy!!! That being said, it is gonna be one of the FUNNEST films to ever witness!!!! I can't wait. The worse the movie is the better!!! It is kinda like picking out the champagne for prom night. You know you are getting drunk, and you know you are getting laid, so why buy expenisve stuff, you are going to enjoy and get off either way right!!.

Better than Batman Vs Superman...? Come on now thats a bit much. But I see any horror flicks that come along. I hope thay will do this one better than the last Halloween or Friday. Thay both sucked. But I'm waiting for House of 1000 Corpses. That will rule.

Yes, this movie will be cheesey, but how serious can a horror movie be. All I'm saying is that the story stands much more chance of being original, without any Hollywood predictable ending that you can see coming before the previews start.

Originally posted by TD
In all seriousness, I think it is gonna be one of the worst fucking films ever. It will be so cheesy!!! That being said, it is gonna be one of the FUNNEST films to ever witness!!!! I can't wait. The worse the movie is the better!!! It is kinda like picking out the champagne for prom night. You know you are getting drunk, and you know you are getting laid, so why buy expenisve stuff, you are going to enjoy and get off either way right!!.

HA! I think your 100% right, but I gotta see it! It's like a fuckin disease with these dam movies, it's Spreading, like "Spreading the Disease"! Gotta love it!

AugDawg

Who's Idea was it to do a Batman vs Superman movie? I would rather see a new film for each of these characters on there own. Perhaps a cameo by the other would be cool but a hole fuckin movie of them dukeing it out. Fuck That!

I don't think they are supposed to "duke it out" per se. It is more of both of them teaming up to face one villian, which leads to some conflicts ala "A Death in the Family" from 1988, and also gives the story a "light" (Metropolis) vs. "dark" (Gotham) as well as an eternal optimist; Superman vs. a brooding pessimist; Batman.