This must be a lame, late april fools joke.

PurpleDink

Apr 8, 2009
http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=66817

I know this is the Symphony X board but this is just a wtf momment for anyone who considers themselves a DT fan weather you like their recent stuff or not.

Guitarist John Petrucci commented: "We have decided to move forward with the recording of the new album with a drum machine. The fact is that we started down this road after Mike left and we just couldn't find a drummer who gelled with us personally. I stand by everything I have said. [the album] is going incredibly well and I can't wait for everyone to hear it!" He then added "I assure you, you won't even notice a difference. We don't need no stinkin' drummer!"

JP cant be serious. If this was already addressed as some sort of joke than im sorry for the pointless topic.

This also begs to ask the question why they declined Portnoys return since i was assuming they already found a drummer, and to kick the new guy out because the original just felt like rejoining would be a dick move.

Yeah i already new MP left the band. The fact they JP is recording with a fricking drum machine is luda.

sad thing is, a drum machine would be a smart move for them. then they could replace Petrucci with a VST, and LaBrie with some overzealous fan, and... they might not suck anymore then.

Oh, I guess they'd have to replace their name too, to not suck.

They could go back to Majesty. Im sure the original Majesty broke up or died in a plane crash or something.

sad thing is, a drum machine would be a smart move for them. then they could replace Petrucci with a VST, and LaBrie with some overzealous fan, and... they might not suck anymore then.

They could start by removing LaBrie and having Myung write more. Also tell Rudess to use better (read: more Pinnella-like) synth patches. The spaced-out shit makes my head want to explode.

The way most metal sounds these days, drummers could be replaced by a machine and you'd never be able to tell the difference.

Spoken like a true drummer! Nah, I do agree, but it's only because a lot of metal (at least the stuff I've heard) has little to no drumming variety or odd time signatures for more unique drumming. You can only run on the double bass pedal for so long before it just isn't special anymore.

Don't you dare make this discussion relevant!

:lol:

It was obviously a joke, not even a funny one! I really want Labrie to quit. I like Mike's drumming. He's a shit writer though. They all are except for Myung, who is too fucking shy to do anything in life but play bass it seems.

As for the technology statements, I completely agree. I wish bands would just press the record button and play. I hate the copy/paste nonsense. I use a drum machine when writing, but would never seriously use it for an album, unless I wanted to purposely make it sound that way.

Spoken like a true drummer! Nah, I do agree, but it's only because a lot of metal (at least the stuff I've heard) has little to no drumming variety or odd time signatures for more unique drumming. You can only run on the double bass pedal for so long before it just isn't special anymore.
:lol:

The biggest issue, for me, is the lack of dynamics in the drum tracks. Volume is perminantly set to 11/10 for each and every hit.

I much prefer a drum fill/solo with dynamics, feeling, and a human touch to any bombastic over-the-top stuff.

Ghost notes, people! Enjoy the full sound of the drum as it gets struck... let it come alive!

See: Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Definitely. I really miss Martin Lopez, as I don't like the new guy as much (nor do I like their new guitarist, but that's another subject). Although I shouldn't blame just them; I didn't like the Watershed album much at all. But Lopez and Mendez were like one of the best rhythm sections in metal to me - they locked in so tight! And yes, Lopez was one hell of a dynamic drummer!