Those rrunning PT Digidesign 002 setups..

MetalJonesy

more metal, more booze!!!
hey guys, im getting sick of my motu setup with regards any music production software i use (Adobe Audition, Nuendo 3, Sonar 6) im having very bad issues with monitoring latency. Ive upped my asio buffers and its like im playing a skipped cd when ive got say 24 tracks in the software.

I was wondering how the Digidesign 002 stuff is? and what sort of computer spec do ya need? My comp is overclocked at 2.56GHz dual core, 2 gig cas4 timing ultra low latency ram, 300 gig hard drive, 256 ati radeon graphics etc... which is why i dont understand why the current setups arent working, even on a freshly reformatted system.

Any insight into this range would be greatly appreciated.:)

hey guys, im getting sick of my motu setup with regards any music production software i use (Adobe Audition, Nuendo 3, Sonar 6) im having very bad issues with monitoring latency. Ive upped my asio buffers and its like im playing a skipped cd when ive got say 24 tracks in the software.

I was wondering how the Digidesign 002 stuff is? and what sort of computer spec do ya need? My comp is overclocked at 2.56GHz dual core, 2 gig cas4 timing ultra low latency ram, 300 gig hard drive, 256 ati radeon graphics etc... which is why i dont understand why the current setups arent working, even on a freshly reformatted system.

Any insight into this range would be greatly appreciated.:)

I pretty much have the same setup as you, very similar pc specs, Cubase SX3 and a MOTU 828 mkII.

Anyways, are you running any plugs/vsts of that nature while trying to monitor? Have you tried to use the Direct monitoring function under the device setup in Nuendo?

I pretty much have the same setup as you, very similar pc specs, Cubase SX3 and a MOTU 828 mkII.

Anyways, are you running any plugs/vsts of that nature while trying to monitor? Have you tried to use the Direct monitoring function under the device setup in Nuendo?

yeah i use alot of plugins, drumagog etc

ill give that direct device thing a shot, im still wanting to get protools though, just for future work.

yeah i use alot of plugins, drumagog etc

ill give that direct device thing a shot, im still wanting to get protools though, just for future work.

The Direct monitoring feature will by-pass everything so it's pretty much a straight signal like:

mic>input>motu>output

As opposed to:

mic>input>computer>daw>plugs>motu>output

And the 002 won't be able to run a bunch of plugs and get low latency monitoring that I know of.

well surely that means i cant monitor my mixes in a session with the eqs, settings on? which seems a bot pointless?

Now I'm lost.

What are you trying to do?

Are you trying to (examples) A) record a drumset mic'd up in one room but want to monitor each mic so you can hear them in the control room

Or B) Mix a song

?

Now I'm lost.

What are you trying to do?

Are you trying to (examples) A) record a drumset mic'd up in one room but want to monitor each mic so you can hear them in the control room

Or B) Mix a song

?

its all for mixing, just ran it thru the MOTU as you suggested and it seems to be working fine!!:headbang: ill have a go mixing this 24 track project, and if it holds up then thats kewl!! i never use plugins on inputs

I have the same PC spec af you and running PT 7 with a digi 002 rack. The version 7 of Protools supports 2 CPU's (or duel core) and that means times 2 power for plugins.

But i still have to inactivate them (not only bypass) when i am tracking or sampel drums for absolut zero latency. But its quick and easy to do

its mainly for mixing down i have the issues, im not bothered about tracking

its still messing up on nuendo, im thinking for the dedicated hardware/software option its gnna be best to get protools running, its mainly for mixdown with extensive plugin use

its mainly for mixing down i have the issues, im not bothered about tracking

its still messing up on nuendo, im thinking for the dedicated hardware/software option its gnna be best to get protools running, its mainly for mixdown with extensive plugin use

I'm not sure how extensive this is, but on a current project I've got 30+ plugs (EQ's, verbs, comps, etc.) so nothing real CPU intensive and 25+ tracks but I have absolutely no computer issues. It could be your FW chipset.

Do you have the latest MOTU driver?

300 gig drive - is this system or audio disk? Whilst you "can" run from the system disk a dedicated audio drive is required. So what's the situation ?

300 gig drive - is this system or audio disk? Whilst you "can" run from the system disk a dedicated audio drive is required. So what's the situation ?

I wouldn't say 'required' but does help. Right now I'm running the latest SATA 7200rpm 320drive for my system and audio since I've had two drvies crash on me in the past month :lol: and don't have any issues playing back 25+ tracks of audio at I believe 16 or 24 bit, 44.1khz.

my 300 gig hard drive is dedicated for audio, my main hard drive is 160gig with the os and applications etc on it. Im still unsure of nuendo though, its holding out for the time being, so ill have a few more hours mixing, see if im gnna stick with this setup.

I like my Digi002 as well. Other than the power harness issue I had to fix a while back (which was simple), it has never been troublesome, and I like all the ins and outs.

HD someday, when there is nothing more beneficial to do to my studio for ten grand.