Thoughts on Isolation cabs? (anyone use them?)

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I am contemplating on designing or purchasing an isolation cab so I can crank my rack setup while recording without killing my neighbors. Before I begin, has anyone had any experience using and recording with them? Thoughts?

I built a vocal booth both for vocals and guitar recording and it works pretty well. You have to put enough absorbtion material inside or it will sound a bit boxy. You can still hear everything if you're in the same room but a wall from that it can hardly be heard and mine has just 1 layer of drywall

Decided it's not a good idea? :lol:
Going the route of using impulses is probably a much better idea in more ways than one.

Pretty much. I'm going to make a small 1x12 combo for some recording and just stick it in my soon to be started vocal booth or something. But thanks for the info.

This is how I built mine:

garderob1.jpg

garderob2.jpg

...are you using that Peavey Rage as the cab for your Savage? Uggghhhh...

Also, I've never used an MD421 before, but is that the way you're supposed to point them? (that bar going across the top always threw me off; I thought it was supposed to be mounted vertically, like an LD condenser)

That´s how J. Bredahl @ Smart And Hard in Denmark recorded german band Koroded in 2005, aint that one left a MD421, too?

Boxen-vi.jpg

edit:

hatesphere recording "Serpent Smiles and Killer Eyes" in 2007
Here&