Thoughts on Orkan

tobz

is where its at
Hey all, there have been some talk about the forum dying down lately, and in an effort to breath some life back into it, I thought I might start a new thread with some thoughts I've made about Orkan after listening through it several times at work and at other places. I know not all of us have the album yet, but you can all join in when it arrives, if you feel like it.

Anyway, my main thought is this one; Orkan feels like the equivalent of Cosmic Genesis made in an alternative dimension.
What I mean is that with Orkan, to me at least, Vintersorg have never been closer to nailing that perfect mix between the black/folk past and the progressive future that he turned out on Cosmic Genesis.
The thought that generally comes to my mind is that Orkan is as much a logical, and could easily have been the, successor to Ödemarkens Son, and that this is what Cosmic Genesis would have been like if Andreas hadn't decided to go in the English lyrics and prevalent space themes direction.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what others might think about this, so feel free to post away!

I would like to give my two cents about the album; It's a darker version of Jordpuls, Jordpuls were more raw and black metal, Orkan is more like an 'prog-ödemarkens son', one thing i love in Orkan is the symphonic aspect, for me it's the most symphonic V's album untill now. The Prog aspects aren't too strong in the songs, it's a perfect mix! Sjärndyrkan on Jordpuls was an attempt to make a full prog track (in the shape of the album concept) but was kinda..meh, but in Orkan, the two prog tracks (Ur stjärnstoft är vi komna, Havets nåd) aren't like that, both of them are simply awesome and the instrumental is amazing. The only downside in Jordpuls is fixed in Orkan: the drums! for me the drums in Jord were something like St.Anger,but in orkan is different, it's very organic (at least for me).

I'm really curious to listen the Fire part that's gonna be the next one, i hope we will be hearing it next year :D Orkan is amazing, and one curious thing, its the first vintersorg album that have grim vocals in all tracks! i think this give a chilling aspect to the album's concept.

Sigurðr;10332446 said:
Orkan is more like an 'prog-ödemarkens son'

Yeah, exactly. That's what I meant with saying that this album could have been released after ÖS if he hadn't decided to take the English space twist to it.

Sigurðr;10332446 said:
Orkan is amazing, and one curious thing, its the first vintersorg album that have grim vocals in all tracks! i think this give a chilling aspect to the album's concept.

Oh, you noticed that as well, huh? I remember Draugen mentioning this in his review of the album, and while I haven't gotten round to proof-checking it for myself, I'm satisfied in believeng you are both right.

And yes, I also look forward to the next album. If Orkan has one problem, it is that it feels too short. I know it isn't short, but it always seems to be over too quickly when I play it through, and I think that's a new experience for me with a Vintersorg album. Keep 'em wanting more I suppose :rolleyes:
Anyway, let's see if it actually is Fire up next, I don't trust Andreas not to twist things around to mess with us...

Well, what can I say? as you said, Orkan is much likely to go among the older albums and for me its creative concept places it between Ödemarkens Son and Cosmic Genesis. What I liked the most about the album besides Mr. V's vocals was the fact that keyboards are much more noticeable and also holds a much wider variety of sounds (Since I'm a keyboardist and I love'm loud XD)... and that is what makes Polarnatten a great song and gives Myren a really catchy touch, and talking about Orkan itself... it's a hurricane so strong that it brings winds from ancient times... more exactly from the mountains... I loved it!

While I said in my review that I think that it is quite similar to Ödemarkens Son and Cosmic Genesis, I want to say that it definitely really feels like very modern Vintersorg. These records never quite live up to the simple beauty of the earliest records, in my opinion. They're awesome and I love 'em, but I miss some of that simplicity.

I understand what you mean, he is definitely doing more advanced things nowadays, especially with his vocals. Of course its a good thing they have improved so much, but as you said it doesn't have the same simplicity to it which was also very nice...

And another fantastic album, yupeeee*!!! I myself don't miss the simplicity of the earlier records, and I feel that Mr V's vocals have never been so beautiful.
I thought Jordpuls was already perfect, but it seems that they've just contradicted me with even more awesomness^^ I particularly love the orchestrations and the "proginess" of the songs.
And all of them are great, with this special beauty that never fails to lift up my spirit :)

I was quite surprised by Orkan at first. I feel like it's one of the darkest Vintersorg albums ever. While it's hard not to hear joy in Vintersorg's music, I have to say Orkan is the first album since Cosmic Genesis where that joyful energy wasn't a focal point of the album. The album feels intentionally dark and mysterious, and as a result, less immediate and direct. It's the first Vintersorg album that I wasn't hooked by after the first listen.

I've listened about a dozen times now and I adore the album now. Every melody has sunken neatly into my brain, but it took time to absorb it all. No other Vintersorg album took me as much time to take in.

I wouldn't recommend Orkan as an album to start with if you are new listener to Vintersorg, but it is a fantastic addition to their history and offers a new dimension to the band's sound.

I'm also impressed with how Mr. V's mixing and mastering skills have been developing. With each album it seems like he's eager to take on more responsibility production wise and instrumentally and I think he's doing a great job. I'd love to see him improve the low-end of the mix as he continues learning. I feel Jorpuls and Orkan have very nice production, but they lack a bit of weight/heaviness. His drum programming skills are very impressive. I feel they're the most realistic drum arrangements and samples that I've ever heard in any genre of music. I obviously have loved Asgeir's playing in the past, but Mr. V offers such a unique and increasingly natural approach to programmed drums that I look forward to hearing what he's got for us next! Between Solens Rötter, Jorpuls and Orkan, the drums have grown tremendously!

I like the new album! It's weird, but in a way I think Vintersorg has become quite predictable. Because what I hear is close to what I expected the follow-up to Jordpuls would sound like. I'm guessing they were written in about the same period, and also because they're part of this series of albums he's planning to release in the near future?

@karps: kind of depends on what you think is dark. I think that overall the mood on TF for instance, is much darker. The production is pretty good, but I would have liked a little more depth and complexity in the mix. Although that might be something that I personally like, I understand it's not necessary for this type of music.

Part of the reason I think they lack heaviness is because Matte doesn't reamp his guitars like most modern production jobs do. It's very unusual to just have a good sound these days. Usually there are dozens of guitar tracks that are emulated through crazy equipment to get unreal tone.

While I said in my review that I think that it is quite similar to Ödemarkens Son and Cosmic Genesis, I want to say that it definitely really feels like very modern Vintersorg. These records never quite live up to the simple beauty of the earliest records, in my opinion. They're awesome and I love 'em, but I miss some of that simplicity.

I have really got to check out some of the older stuff!

Part of the reason I think they lack heaviness is because Matte doesn't reamp his guitars like most modern production jobs do. It's very unusual to just have a good sound these days. Usually there are dozens of guitar tracks that are emulated through crazy equipment to get unreal tone.

Yes, I am all too familiar with this technology! The heaviness I'm talking about is more of a general lower frequency. I feel like Jordpuls and Orkan are very "light" records. Not because of lack of weight from guitar, but because of the overall mix. The bottom end of a mix is often the most difficult part and though the bass/kick drum/lower string & horn parts are very clear, they are not very deep.

Yes, I am all too familiar with this technology! The heaviness I'm talking about is more of a general lower frequency. I feel like Jordpuls and Orkan are very "light" records. Not because of lack of weight from guitar, but because of the overall mix. The bottom end of a mix is often the most difficult part and though the bass/kick drum/lower string & horn parts are very clear, they are not very deep.

Yeah, but the drums and bass are also not as low and they're not performed in the way that gets massive "heaviness" out of them.

I haven't been here for a decade. I haven't kept up with Mr. V's work outside of his other bands. I'm nostalgic for Hedniskhjärtad. What an awesome record. Norrland is still an amazing song after all these years.

It similar to me to what Solens was at the first listen: a pretty modern album rooted in the ol' days. Orkan feels like if Andreas wrote the basic tracks before Cosmic Genesis, found those tapes and reshaped them to fit his current musical vision.

I like what Vintersorg (as a band) it's doing in the sense that it's always progressing but never forgetting where it came from and you can still hear references to the first albums, despite being stylistically different. It's stronger than Jordpuls and I would go as far as saying it's the best Vintersorg album since Visions.

It similar to me to what Solens was at the first listen: a pretty modern album rooted in the ol' days. Orkan feels like if Andreas wrote the basic tracks before Cosmic Genesis, found those tapes and reshaped them to fit his current musical vision.

I like what Vintersorg (as a band) it's doing in the sense that it's always progressing but never forgetting where it came from and you can still hear references to the first albums, despite being stylistically different. It's stronger than Jordpuls and I would go as far as saying it's the best Vintersorg album since Visions.

Visions? woah, you are the first person who like visions that much (i guess) I don't like this album that much, seems like a lost space between cosmic genesis and the focusing blur (way way way way better than visions imo) there are awesome songs like the explorer / spegelsfären and vem styr symmetrin, i can't stand the rest D: Solens is one of the best for me, perfect combination with folk and prog