Thoughts on the MOTU traveler?

I'm interested in this piece of hardware along with getting DP5. anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? how does is it in comparison to the Fireface? i know the Fireface has 'more' inputs for adat and such along with costing as much as the Traveler when coupled with DP5. Is it worth it to sacrifice the software? I am looking for something I can take with me for on the run 'gigs' or at least bring my equipment to a studio space and set up quickly. I currently have a few mics into a Mackie VLZ 1202 mixer and that into an SBlive on my comp. Use the set up for self recording and I'm looking to take this further.

Or would the money be best spent in getting higher end condenser mics like Octava for overheads and one for guitars and Shure KSM32 for vox. keep in mind i know people who work at local stores and can get certain items at cost.

Thanks for the help in previous threads and any responses to this one.

I think the Fireface is better anyday man. I would definately get it over the MOTU for sure! Is it worth it to sacrifice the software for a lot better hardware unit, of course. A DAW isn't going to make your recordings sound any better, a Fireface is.

Octavia's are nice for drum overheads. And I think you can make great recordings with a SM57 on guitar and a SM58 on vocals going into your Fireface. Just my opinion though, goodluck man.

First of all, you can use the FireFace with DP5 just fine. Second of all, the Traveler kicks ass if portability and an analog monitoring stage sound like good features to you.

My band uses a PowerBook G4, DP5, and the Traveler live for our click feed and samples.

Is the Traveler bus powered? looks pretty cool for location recordings and gigs.

It can be, yes. Or you can use the included power supply. Or both, to keep things very reliable (in case the power flickers out, your live DAW won't crash on you.) That was a big selling point for me.

Is the Traveler bus powered? looks pretty cool for location recordings and gigs.
exactly why I'm looking into it.

HexTheNet: I already got a few SM57s and they sound good with guitar, which is why I figured I'd stick with them instead of putting down money on a completely new mic rig. A DAW won't make my music sound better, but without one, legally, (I refuse to charge people on stolen software) there isn't much point in getting multitracking equipment. Though I'll probably have an mbox Protools rig by the time I get the DP5 set up, but i dislike protools and a fireface into an mbox is pointless because you'd be going from many tracks down to 4. on the other hand if I had DP5 i could take the mbox into the fireface/traveler and do that. point is I only got enough for the MOTU interface and software or just the Fireface.

Kazrog: good to hear you've had good experiences with the MOTU.

I hear so much talk around here on the fireface I'm wondering if anyone has tried out the MOTU interfaces.