Thoughts on the revamped Schecter Loomis custom JL-7?

Dec 10, 2012
Washington, DC

I finally have a joerb and I'm looking to sell my current LTD 7-string and go for a somewhat nicer one with specs and pickups to my liking. Strongly considering the new JL-7, since it has really nice PAF-style EMG pickups that everyone seems to love and a new swamp ash body. Has anybody played one, and/or heard any complaints? I know they released an initial version of this guitar some years ago and IIRC it had some issues. All indications are that this model is awesome, but I figured I'd check before I plunk down the cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the old Jeff Loomis signature and it's a great feeling and sounding guitar. It had no flaws other than the two screws on the backplate which were impossible to take out and got stripped when I tried. The new model seems to be even better and I would expect it to be a great guitar.

I bought a 2014 JL-7 from Sweetwater about 3 months ago. Awesome guitar. It arrived perfect right out of the box. Not sure if that was due to the factory setup or Sweetwater's inspection though.

IMO, it's the best 7 string out there in that price range. The SS frets are incredibly smooth for bends and vibrato. The neck is slim without being overly flat. I've owned a couple of Ibanez Prestige models and have played a few others and this is definitely on par or better in terms of quality. Love the pickups. They're really balanced sounding and responsive. Good dynamics. Considerably different than other EMGs I've used. I'm using it with a Kemper and to my surprise it's difficult to find a profile this guitar doesn't sound good with. Can't say that for other 7-string guitars I've owned. Incredible cleans and liquid distorted leads on the neck PU. I also really like the rolled fingerboard edges.

The only things I think might turn some off to this guitar are the fact that it has no tone knob and the switch is pretty close to your picking hand (which I personally really like- very quick switching between PUs- but might not suit those who do a lot of wide movements with the pick hand).

I bought a 2014 JL-7 from Sweetwater about 3 months ago. Awesome guitar. It arrived perfect right out of the box. Not sure if that was due to the factory setup or Sweetwater's inspection though.

IMO, it's the best 7 string out there in that price range. The SS frets are incredibly smooth for bends and vibrato. The neck is slim without being overly flat. I've owned a couple of Ibanez Prestige models and have played a few others and this is definitely on par or better in terms of quality. Love the pickups. They're really balanced sounding and responsive. Good dynamics. Considerably different than other EMGs I've used. I'm using it with a Kemper and to my surprise it's difficult to find a profile this guitar doesn't sound good with. Can't say that for other 7-string guitars I've owned. Incredible cleans and liquid distorted leads on the neck PU. I also really like the rolled fingerboard edges.

The only things I think might turn some off to this guitar are the fact that it has no tone knob and the switch is pretty close to your picking hand (which I personally really like- very quick switching between PUs- but might not suit those who do a lot of wide movements with the pick hand).

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. That's what I was hoping to hear :)

Hi,

You should also consider the new schecter hybrid C-7
http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/2014/hellraiser-hybrid-c-7-detail

Same pickups, same shape. The main differences (except the color) are :
- mahogany body for the hybrid
- 2 volumes contol + tone for the hybrid vs only 1 volume for the JF

Personnally, i was looking for a 6 string, and i ordered the hybrid C-1 (have to wait)

I have that guitar in an Excel spreadsheet lined up next to the JL-7. They're basically the exact same, save for the body material (C-7 is mahogany; JL-7 is swamp ash) and fingerboard (C7 is ebony; JL-7 is maple). My guitar right now has a mahogany body and rosewood fretboard, and I find both to be much darker than I like, so I'm inclined toward the JL-7. But I'm definitely considering the C-7 :kickass:

My choice was between this C-1 (6 strings) and the LTD AJ-1 ... Pretty the same guitars (same wood, pickups,...) but i really like a separate volume control for each pickup.

I have the KM-7 and I love the shit out of it. SS frets are a godsend and the neck/body being thinner than the previous edition is a huge improvement in feel, weight, and overall comfort. It's down to whether you want maple or ebony fb and EMG vs Duncan between those two, really.