'THRAX STOMP THRU' DUBLIN, 04/05/'05.

Nov 4, 2004
"This is the FIRST song,
from our FIRST ablum,
DEATHRIIIIIIIIDER"!!!!!!

So bellowed Scotty 'Not' Ian about halfway through a mostly moshtastic exercise in nostalgia in Dublin last Wedneday Night. And it was one of the highlights of the set--a slower tempo on the verses and a full out thrash-attack on the chorus. One of my favourite 'Thrax toons and played birlliantly. Classic stuff!

A wee bit late in adding the review, but, yesterday was spent recovering from the Hangover-From-Hell after Wednesday Night. Anthrax in Dublin--Little did any of us think, at last years' 'Thrax gig here, that we'd be seeing the Belladonna-Era Lineup taking the stage in the same venue just 11 months later. As good as it was, it is nostalgia, and i don't think the band could creatively go forward with this lineup. Glorious to see Joey and Danny in the abnd again, though, what the fuck was up with danny? His posing was so OTT he honestly looked like a member of Spinal-Tap. I know a lot of people have commented on this, and, it really has to be seen to be believed. It was like choreographed-lunacy, posing out of control...BUT...it worked! It was just SO extreme that you couldn't but love the guy, who else looks so truly odd/funny, and acts as almost as such a caricature ? I've never seen anything like it, and maybe that's what makes it unique. Spitz--you're a mad bastard, but, you bring that extra dose of lunatic-colour to the stage!

Besides Scott rarely making eye-contact with either Joey or Danny, the pair seemed to have an excellent chemistry with the human-dynamo that is Frankie Bello. Joey Vera was fine on the last tour, but, Frankie is a front-man figure of the band, especially when it comes to live-shows. The crowds love him, and he gives it 110% energy and enthusiasm!

Seeing this lineup back was in turns bizarre, cool, cheesy and a rush, but most of all it was enjoyable! It was obvious that Scott (and maybe Charlie) aren't acknowledging Joey & Danny too much, Scott never even mentions them in his rants to the crowd, it just adds confusion as to why they had them back in the first place ?*^! Scott just played his stuff and got on with it, while Joey & Danny did look genuinely chuffed at being back.

Given all that---the actual gig was a monster!!! For any 'Thrax fan, seeing them rip-roar through classics like "A.I.R.", "Medusa" and the f*kin' brilliant ""Lone Justice" is heavy-metal heaven!!!! Hearing these older tunes really made it into an event, not just another show. "Lone Justice" in particular, maybe becuase they haven't played it since '86(?), it was just as good as it gets!! They nailed the songs!! "Be all,End All", "In My World", "Metal Thrashing mad"---the set-list was a dream!! One odd point--Charlie played drums during "I'm The Man", and Joey spent the time kind of wandering around the stage ..! It looked odd, the song was just Scott, Charlie and Frankie really, Joey looked a little lost during it, nothing to do!

Nostalgia, but, a a show that any 'Thrax fan will have great memories of for years to come....!

P.S. Met 'em at the recoprd signing too--after waiting 2 hours!!! Scott & Charlie weren't too animated, but, Joey,Danny & Frankie looked stoked and the crowd gave Joey such a warm welcome back. Excellent day all 'round.