Three bands you'd love to see play the first time at Progpower

their singer Matt Pacheco might break a nail and cancel :lol:

Yeah I thought they were a super dramatic situation for some reason. I've got Dwelling in the Out and it's quite good. I certainly would be cool with them playing PPUSA, but we sure don't need more drama in the house.

Yeah I thought they were a super dramatic situation for some reason. I've got Dwelling in the Out and it's quite good. I certainly would be cool with them playing PPUSA, but we sure don't need more drama in the house.

I grew up with the guitarist Dave and I'm still good friends with the guys…sad to say a reunion will never happen

Wow, TwizstedJesus!

You definitely dug deep into the 90s prog catalog for this thread! While we're at it, let's come up with another nine U.S. progressive metal bands from the 90s that released no more than two albums! Let's see:

Altura
Auditory Imagery
Catharsis
Clockwork
Damn the Machine
Digital Ruin
Divine Regale
Inner Strength
Kinetic Dissent
Lord Bane
Mercury Rising
Opposite Earth

Glenn, your problem of booking next year's festival is over! Instant sell-out!

All kidding aside, TwizstedJesus, those would have been some great bands to see back in the day. There are so many bands from that decade that failed to get a fair deal.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Although I am a huge Accept fan, I actually only stated U.D.O. because someone else replied D.A.D.

I actually dig UDO and LOVE the new song. /ever thought about bringing UDO over here Glenn ?

Bryant

Wow, TwizstedJesus!

You definitely dug deep into the 90s prog catalog for this thread! While we're at it, let's come up with another nine U.S. progressive metal bands from the 90s that released no more than two albums! Let's see:

Altura
Auditory Imagery
Catharsis
Clockwork
Damn the Machine
Digital Ruin
Divine Regale
Inner Strength
Kinetic Dissent
Lord Bane
Mercury Rising
Opposite Earth

Glenn, your problem of booking next year's festival is over! Instant sell-out!

All kidding aside, TwizstedJesus, those would have been some great bands to see back in the day. There are so many bands from that decade that failed to get a fair deal.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I can always dig deeper if need be. Mercury Rising would have to be on the debut disc because their 2nd one sucked. We need some European blood if we're going to a ProgPower throwback fest. How about we add Arkhe and say, Time Machine to the group and finish off with Annon Vin and Memento Mori to give this an authentic vibe ;)

In the early years of PPUSA, I expected that Glenn would eventually book WatchTower. They performed live occasionally, reportedly put on a great show (especially given the complexity of their music), were from the US, and could bring in some of the old school crowd. I realized that the band did not have a huge fanbase, but I thought they would be more of a draw than many of the European bands no one here has heard of until Glenn books them.

These days, I just hope for an old school band that does not tour much like Sanctuary or Paradox (too bad they canceled). I enjoy lots of new music, but Glenn and I do not have a lot of overlap in the albums we like each year. In the old school vein, the three bands I nominate are:

Heathen
Mekong Delta
Toxik

For newer bands, I would go with:

Sister Sin
Teramaze
Triosphere

and my fave by far from this list: Unexpect

I assume Astral Doors is no longer eligible for future PPUSAs because of whatever the problem was when Glenn booked them. It would be a lot of fun to see them live.

They're probably too big for ProgPower.

I think Europe is "big" in a different way. They've had nothing that's as commercially successful since the '80s, and their one major hit is more ironically enjoyed by the populace (or at least people my age) than actually enjoyed. And at this point, they're pretty much stuck playing niche rock tours, fests like Rocklahoma, and state fair gigs. Which means if they're too "big," it's because only a small, small group of people would even care too see anything past them playing "Final Countdown," or like "Carrie" or "Cherokee" or whatever.

I'm sure their new material is fine. Same with bands like Night Ranger or Winger or Yes or Asia (another band I've kinda shat on on this board).

But they're not ProgPower bands. And if they somehow made it to the stage and I'm wrong....merch tables for me. I'm here for the metal. Y'all know me by now. I don't have a Whitesnake patch on my vest. Nor will I.

Age of Nemesis, to throw another out there. I'm not really sure if they're still active, and they're obscure as hell to begin with, but man when they're on they are seriously on.

But they're not ProgPower bands.

Europe's newer stuff is very rooted in 1970's bluesy rock, with a little hint of prog rock.. I won't try to sell you on them, though. :)

I will say that the "not ProgPower" bands in the last couple of years have been outstanding and kept the most of the crowd's interest - Voodoo Circle, Overkill, and Armored Saint, for example.

You know, TwizstedJesus, you're not the only person who told me that they think "Building Rome" by Mercury Rising sucked. It's certainly a very different album from "Upon Deaf Ears," but I think that songs like the title track, "Cathedrals," and "Think" are among the best in their short catalog.

As for obscure European prog metal bands from the 90s, I see your Arkhe and Annon Vin and raise you Imperium, Lemur Voice, and Mayadome. Before we know it, we'll have the prog metal equivalent of Keep It True!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

You know, TwizstedJesus, you're not the only person who told me that they think "Building Rome" by Mercury Rising sucked. It's certainly a very different album from "Upon Deaf Ears," but I think that songs like the title track, "Cathedrals," and "Think" are among the best in their short catalog.

As for obscure European prog metal bands from the 90s, I see your Arkhe and Annon Vin and raise you Imperium, Lemur Voice, and Mayadome. Before we know it, we'll have the prog metal equivalent of Keep It True!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Can I go all in with Hydrotoxin? :headbang: :Spin:

Just saw that both In the Woods... and Green Carnation are playing Blastfest in Norway, both would be great for ProgPower.