Three nights of Metallica

Yeah, not one song from Load was played on the three nights I saw them. Two from ReLoad though.

And none from St Anger which didn't surprise me at all. :)

Bit sad when a band won't stand behind it's own work though IMO. Maybe they should start fucking skipping Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman, I could fucking live with that

Maybe they're just not interested in playing that material. A shame because I think if Load was recorded by another band it would be a classic.

I agree Spiff. Load is one of the best albums from the 90s. I think there is a few tracks from it that could slip into the set quite well too.

I liked the way the St Anger tracks sounded live with better production and Kirk throwing some leads in. Dirty Window in particular was a real rocker.

St Anger would of been a corker without Bob Rock in the studio I think, but yes, lack of production, and length of songs can get tiring, but I am still the only person who seems to put it on and enjoy it, it does still have some good songs on it

The band could of self produced better I reckon. I suppose it'll get the remaster treatment in the next 25 years like most 'classic' bands albums, and it'll improve then maybe, hell I am hanging out for them to do it to AJFA, and now Rob is in the band, maybe they could actually record an audible bass track

I doubt they will. They haven't yet, and the bass was recorded that way on purpose. Even a digital remaster of RTL and MOP would be welcome. Even on vinyl, Puppets was mastered incredibly low. Slap on Reign in Blood straight after it, without adjusting anything, and see how much of a difference there is. It's like someone took a bunch of cotton wool out of your ears and rammed loudspeakers in there.

The band could of self produced better I reckon. I suppose it'll get the remaster treatment in the next 25 years like most 'classic' bands albums, and it'll improve then maybe, hell I am hanging out for them to do it to AJFA, and now Rob is in the band, maybe they could actually record an audible bass track

Only difference is other bands remaster albums from the 80's because of the lack of technology available at the time, where as the band chose to mix St Anger that way. Lars said somewhere that St Anger in 20 years time will be viewed in the same way as 'Born Again' from Sabbath is now. Hated at the time, but revered years later......!

Even a digital remaster of RTL and MOP would be welcome. Even on vinyl, Puppets was mastered incredibly low.

I have the Steve Hoffman version of both albums and much prefer them to the originals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hoffman_(audio_engineer)

The bass tracks that exist on AJFA are awesome, they are just too low in the mix to hear. Remixed versions I have heard people do with the master tracks hacked from Guitar Hero sound killer.

Death Magnetic is the same, mixed badly with intention. Oh well.

Metallica are a rare case who have full control over their music which is how they have been able to stop any rereleases or compilations being released all these years. So if ever it happens, it will be on their terms.

The bass tracks that exist on AJFA are awesome, they are just too low in the mix to hear. Remixed versions I have heard people do with the master tracks hacked from Guitar Hero sound killer.

I've only heard this Blackened with the bass track remastered and it sounds awesome. I'd love to hear the whole album remastered. Sucks they decided to compromise their own musical quality just to "haze the new guy"

Edit: Just listened to a few songs on youtube with bass remaster and wow. Just wow. Fuck Metallica. AJFA with bass is a perfect 10/10 record.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have gathered after hearing various interviews etc, it was Kirk that summed it up best. He said that with AJFA, Lars was perhaps getting closer to the mixing desk than he should have been, and the final mix is a closer representation to what he hears behind his kit and from his drum foldback. LOTS of drums (obviously), and all rhythm guitars and vocals from the foldback (he doesn't have any bass in there apparently, because has always just locked in with James). It was mixed this way because that is how Lars hears Metallica live, and solos were recorded over the top.

Seems to make more sense to me than any 'hazing' ritual or metaphor for Cliff's absence from the record, which are other theories that get passed around.

While a remaster could be amazing, Metallica don't seem like the kind of band that would ever admit they were wrong, and hence I don't think they will release a corrective version of any of their albums. Maybe down the line somewhere when no new music is on the horizon, perhaps.