throat training

scarr3d

Real Life Death
Aug 5, 2001
portland, OR
www.speakeasy.net
i've just recently started doing backup vocals/screams in my band. i'm wondering what kind of advice y'all could offer as far as taking care of your throat and warming it up before you begin. my g/f showed me a couple yoga stretches that are good for the throat.

mine's kind of feeling raw at the moment...

I'm guessing your throat feels sore from the screaming part? Well, what worked for me was to sing all the time. Always singing/growling, whatever, along with what I'm listening to at home or in the car. When I first started listening to Black Metal, I'd try to sing,(screach, once again whatever) along with it and couldn't make it through a verse. However, the more I sang along with those albums, the easier it became to continually abuse my vocal chords. Eventually, it just didn't hurt anymore.

You just have to keep working your voice until it gets used to the strain of singing.

AK is right, do it all the time, I've had a similar experiance, which I won't bore you with :D
And do some vocal exercises beforehand, sing a few scales and stuff. And learn to breathe properly, from your diaphragm rather than the top of you lungs.

I started screaming wghen I listened to fear factory, and that's easy stuff to sing to, and it doesn't hurt.. As my music tastes changed so did my voice, and it slowly got higher, and more voilent, and now it's got a nice black metal sound.

I don't really warm up or anything.... but if I scream straight away, it takes a few minutes for it to sound good.

try screaming from a whisper as well, don't use you entire voice, just whisper, and then distort it, then add a slight voice, and let rip.

Practice. That's all I can say. Pick a favorite band and sing along.

I dunno, maybe I just have a strong throat or maybe I'm not straining enough but I never really had a problem with my throat.