Each day I could see the changes
Each day I became more extreme
I understood how the sight of nature
Could inspire the sound of machines

I’ve traveled over dynamic earth at night
On highways 17 and 69
For the beauty of nature can lift my spirits
Even in the dead of winter.

Modern life can drive us to scream for the trees…(in harmony)
For those of us who can’t find peace, at least we can have a release.

I understand the translation
Universal in human nature
A common expression and interpretation
Of Black Metal and modern life

Focused and strong
Without distraction, I look within
No one to talk me out of what I believe
Without reaction, I proceed.

I was on my own and alone to decide
Black metal was all that mattered, at the time
I found faith inspired by nature
And I was defined.

On this northern highway, under the starry sky
Mine was a cold, nocturnal, winter ride

And in the distance…
A stranger flashed his lights…

Yes, this song is about black metal. I myself have previously criticized bands for singing about singing or writing songs about writing songs (or in the case often heard in rap and hip-hop, rapping about rapping: I have the mic in my hand, etc...). It's one of the downfalls of being so obsessed and pre-occupied with being in a band that when it comes time to write lyrics they might end up being about being obsessed with being in a band and all the lifestyle headaches that come along with that, because that might have been all you've known for the past (long) while. While trying to stay away from the campy end of all of that, I still wanted to address a few of those themes in "Woods 3" (which we did) and to do a song like "Through Chaos..." because this idea is relevant to what WOODS OF YPRES is about, as simple as it is. The lyrics are intentionally simple and so is the meaning. It's about the admittedly unusual connection between nature and the black metal sound and me blaming 'modern life' for making such a connection to be possible in our brains, be it stress, technology, who knows... It's the same thing when asking why we now like 'noisy' music. Have people always liked noise and did it give them a charge like metal does for us now? Again, I already hear people blindly criticizing this song because of it's simplicity or dismissing it as silly, but to me this is actually about something really cool and positive about black metal and the enjoyment of it (and IMO, much more relevant and less silly that plenty of other bm out there screaming about fucking nothing at all!). I still prefer to write lyrics about something specific, to have a point and to have it make sense. I like a songs lyrics to be 'test-able' for meaning, rather than typing out some incoherent black metal filler and leaving the meaning and the content (if any) up to the listeners own interpretation. I always get a charge from people discussing Woods lyrics, especially when it's positive but even if people have really negative, judging things to say about them, and or the band and I. I feel we did something good when WoY lyrics are address because they've been noticed and people are talking about them, for whatever reason (you can't please everyone, so don't try, just be honest and do your fuckin' thing man). When was the last time people talked about, made mention of or even noticed your typical black metal lyrics in yet another new bm to come out that sounds like everything before it with a bad recording and a black and white self portrait out in the woods...? Maybe I am out of the loop or out of touch, but I just don't see it too often. How often do people even notice lyrics these days? I'm sorry to say that I hardly do (though I'm always looking), but I tend to love a band when I do notice their lyrics, even if I really love just a few key lines or ideas. Anyways, I always like that when I see people discussing WoY, lyrics come up. Here's a few words about "Through Chaos..."

This song is specifically about driving through through that stretch of highway between Northern Ontario and Toronto in winter, at night, while blasting black metal on the car stereo and feeling it.

Ripping down the valley of asphalt
Through a brainstorm of snow and ice
Where dynamite blasted the Canadian Shield, I ride
Highways 17 and 69

To set the mood, the scenery is nice, dark and you are really feeling the music as you tear down the highway in your car (or whatever). You feel as though you are a part of both the music and the scenery and you believe that it is also a part of you. Your mind is racing with inspiration and ideas. Ice cold adrenaline. "Black Metal" in this case is not so much defined by a specific subgenre of the genre (True, Raw, Black Metal for example) or even a lifestyle, but rather a state of mind where you relate to enjoying darkness, cold, solitude, blastbeats, abrasive guitars, screaming vocals, noise, and you are comfortable with all of it. You feel at home with it. It's a very powerful feeling really, to feel a sense of belonging even when you are completely alone. The song's lyrics also touch on the very basic idea of the unspoken connection between nature, forests, snow, trees, the sky, the mountains with the sound of 'black metal' (which we'll describe here as emotionally heavy riffs and blasts), which poses the question, "why?". Why in modern times when some of us metal folk see a wintery nature landscape we think of black metal, and vice versa. What has happened to us for us to be able to make that connection between those two things in our minds?

I understand the relation
Of black metal and modern life
How a cold winter scene
Can inspire distortion and screams

I am equal parts blood and ice
I am just as much man as tree
Through chaos and solitude I came
To become this black metal being

Some people love this chorus section, some people hate it and throw the 'LOL' around like I give a shit what they think. This chorus is simply about a euphoric feeling experienced while listening to black metal in the right setting and identifying with that state of mind. It's about feeling like a beast, a 'being', just as much as a man.

Each day I could see the changes
Each day I became more extreme
I understood how the sight of nature
Could inspire the sound of machines

This verse was about the discovery of black metal and how though it's not always easy to get into at first, but like many fine things, it is an acquired taste over time. The last two lines are about realizing that there is somehow this connection in our minds between nature and that black metal sound, but still not totally understanding why.

I’ve traveled over dynamic earth at night
On highways 17 and 69
For the beauty of nature can lift my spirits
Even in the dead of winter.

Most people don't like the winter but it has always been comforting to me.

Modern life can drive us to scream for the trees…(in harmony)
For those of us who can’t find peace, at least we can have a release.

Again, the reference to existence of black metal based on the frustrations of modern life.

I understand the translation
Universal in human nature
A common expression and interpretation
Of Black Metal and modern life

This verse comes from the realization that many people around the world also make this connection between nature and black metal and the similarities in our artistic expressions of nature through music. For example, similarities in the sounds of bands from Europe and those in Canada or elsewhere in the world with similar climates and seasonal characteristics.

Focused and strong
Without distraction, I look within
No one to talk me out of what I believe
Without reaction, I proceed.

When you are alone, you often go your own way without anyone to try to tell you otherwise. Without outside influence, you go down the path that feels right, weather or not it is a good path to go down.

I was on my own and alone to decide
Black metal was all that mattered, at the time
I found faith inspired by nature
And I was defined.

This addresses that sense of belonging within the music and the strength it builds within.

On this northern highway, under the starry sky
Mine was a cold, nocturnal, winter ride
And in the distance…
A stranger flashed his lights…

This very simply describes the scenery and then adds the twist of the outsider stranger who offers his warning or advice that you may be going down the wrong path or that trouble would lie ahead of you.

That's all I have for now. I may add or edit later. Thanks for reading. :)

DG - \w/

Very interesting read. I do admit that when I first heard the lyrics, I didn't get them. I thought it sounded arrogant, singing about how you're this 'black metal being'. They didn't work for me.

But after reading that, I think it makes more sense. The simple lyrics do have a kind of aggression to them. There's no flowery, verbose, poetic ramble, it seems like this is what you want to say, so you'll damn well say it. And the subject of what you have to say is very sane. When I and many others try to sing about serious things, we often sing of things like love and beauty. So what's wrong with singing about the love and beauty of that black metal feeling?

Good on you :)

Like Jolty, I kind of wondered about the "stranger flashed his lights" part. I wasn't sure if it was a flash of warning(like some danger along the path) or greeting(or maybe an acknowledgment that there are others like you wandering the hinterland). The connection to nature themes is what started my attraction to this sort of music(stuff like Borknagar, Vintersorg, and Agalloch), so I can kind of relate to this.

edit: I swear Jolty had a comment on this thread when I started writing that......

Sorry, I deleted it because I wrote it on my way out the door, and when I re-read it, it sounded really stupid to me. I was going to repost later, but now I look like an even bigger failure. :p

Basically, I said that I was wondering about the "a stranger flashed his lights" part, and I had interpreted it as someone seeing you there "on the side of the road" of life, and flashing his lights as a greeting, and to say, "Hey, I see you, you're not alone." Personally, I see metal as a strong, uniting force, and I was wondering if that was a reference to the unity of metalheads.

Ooh... I just can't comment on this yet. I need more time to think these things through. There's so much meaning in this song, I can't begin to dissect it yet.

Great read!

Thanks for posting it.

agreed. very good stuff.

I always liked the lyrics of this song, not my favourite of all time, but still cool. And as opposed to some, it seems, I can relate with the lyrics. Driving(or usually in my case, walking) down the roads or in a forest at night, listening to black and doom metal... its all very connected... and when that epic part in the song comes up and you look around at the darkness and trees and cars going by it all fuckin comes together:kickass:

I'm surprised this song is being criticized? So far it is my favourite off this album.

When I lived in Toronto I used to drive up to Elliot Lake every long weekend so I identified immediately with travelling on the 69 & 17. You should try going up Highway 108 (it branches north from 17 to Elliot Lake) in the winter! This song really speaks to me - I told my wife that David wrote this for himself and for me, hehe.

I'll admit I didn't understand the stranger flashing his lights part until David explained it above. I thought immediately of someone warning that a cop was up ahead or that your brights were on. Those used to be customs back in the day.

I'll admit I didn't understand the stranger flashing his lights part until David explained it above. I thought immediately of someone warning that a cop was up ahead or that your brights were on. Those used to be customs back in the day.

Well, I think that's what he was saying and that is the literal meaning-- he's just taking it a step further.

This was the only song on the new album that had lyrics that I wasn't completely sure about-- but after reading this thread and reading through ALL the lyrics again, I'm starting to really dig them.

Again, context and "the COMPLETE package" are really important, especially in a band such as WOY...

:kickass:

Wow, that was really interesting. I like reading about an artists explanation of their lyrics, especially when its something fully concrete like this. In all honesty, on my first listen of this song I thought the lyrics were a little bit silly. But then I remembered what WoY is about and how I relate to most or all of the other songs, and its not just some dude singing about crap because I can. Sadly I could only make out part of the lyrics but I found what I heard interesting, and I actually said to my friend "this song will probably be a lot more interesting when we can figure out the lyrics". And I was totally right. I remember one day last year, I walked home listening to Moonsorrow (I believe the song was Jotunheim). A brilliant band for the winter, it was probably minus 10, and with the windchill, minus 20 easily. My face was literally hurting it was so cold, wind and slow blowing up my coat and just freezing me. But oddly enough I just kept smiling, it just felt like my connection to winter with Moonsorrow blasting on my headphones and I think it was at that point that I fully understood where black and folk metal bands are coming from in their "back to earth" approach. Anyway, just thought I'd share that story, but this song always reminds me of my personal correlation of metal to nature, and the moment when I turned on to my street, freezing my ass off, and just chuckling with joy, haha. I'd be interested to see some notes on the title track. Its actually one of my lesser favourite songs on the album, but the lyrics tell an amazing story.

I love the "Distractions of Living Alone" lyrics. They hit home so much that I can hardly stand to listen to it at times. I also love the conflicted thoughts about Ontario in "Your Ontario Town Is a Burial Ground." I share similar feelings towards my birthplace/hometown.

@Jolty: Sorry, didn't mean to make you look like a failure or anything like that. I just thought I was losing my mind there for a second.

Anyway, a couple people have stated that the lyrics are at times too Canada-centric, but I don't really agree with that. Sure, "Your Ontario Town..." and "December in Windsor" are specifically set in Canada, but I think the themes on the album are very accessible to anyone in the world, even if you've never driven Highways 17 and 69.

Anyway, a couple people have stated that the lyrics are at times too Canada-centric, but I don't really agree with that. Sure, "Your Ontario Town..." and "December in Windsor" are specifically set in Canada, but I think the themes on the album are very accessible to anyone in the world, even if you've never driven Highways 17 and 69

Didn't most of us listen to metal about vikings and ruunes at one time or another while dreaming of Scandinavia? It's the same thing. Do listeners or the press criticize a Norwegian band for writing lyrics about Norway, in their own language? Hell no, that's what it's all about. Do we listen to Finntroll even though it's in all in Swedish? Sure! The whole point of making W3 so Canadian/Ontario centered was in protest of metal bands outside of Europe who pretend to be european in style, sound, lyrics, etc... or band who are no more european than us, trying to claim to have a connection to that scene and it's history, roots. I'm sick and tired of metal from other countries outside of Europe being seen as second and third world, even though Europe is the true god of metal. We wanted it to be unmistakablly clear that we were an Ontario, Canada metal band. Metal comes in different flavours and styles from all around the world. This is not only specifically a Canadian metal album, but an Ontario metal album (Canada is really big and has lots of differences. + Ontario is much bigger than most European countries). Maybe, with any international success of W3, listeners from outside of Ontario will start to dream of visiting that stretch of nothingness between Toronto and Sudbury, or Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay, eating a good breakfast at the Husky and getting a large Tim's for the road. That's what I wanted to happen, actually. :kickass:

btw - as of yet, NO ONE has ever located the actual "Crossing the 45th Parallel" sign on the highway 75 between Windsor and Sault Ste. Marie. I'm still waiting for someone to send me a photo of them beside it.

Didn't most of us listen to metal about vikings and ruunes at one time or another while dreaming of Scandinavia? It's the same thing. Do listeners or the press criticize a Norwegian band for writing lyrics about Norway, in their own language? Hell no, that's what it's all about. Do we listen to Finntroll even though it's in all in Swedish? Sure! The whole point of making W3 so Canadian/Ontario centered was in protest of metal bands outside of Europe who pretend to be european in style, sound, lyrics, etc... or band who are no more european than us, trying to claim to have a connection to that scene and it's history, roots. I'm sick and tired of metal from other countries outside of Europe being seen as second and third world, even though Europe is the true god of metal. .

Besides, Most of Canada is North of Scandinavia anyways. and apparently, that makes us cool:kickass:

btw - as of yet, NO ONE has ever located the actual "Crossing the 45th Parallel" sign on the highway 75 between Windsor and Sault Ste. Marie. I'm still waiting for someone to send me a photo of them beside it.

I know I'll end up in Canada for an extended period eventually, and dammit I will find that sign!

Much more eloquently said than I could ever have put it. Oh, and Ontario IS on the list of places I need to spend a few days wandering before I fall over. :)

Excellent point David. Thats why this album drives home even more than normal for me, and especially that you said its an Ontario metal album, cause Canada is so diverse. If anyone complains of "we can't relate cause we don't live there", they're clearly foolish if they've ever listened to any European bands, like those who sing about vikings, forests in Norway, etc. Hell, I can appreciate a song like "Egypt" by Symphony X or "Sahara" by Nightwish even though I've never been anywhere near a desert or anything that hot. Thats kinda the point.

As previously addressed, I too, thought that the lyrics "A stranger flashed his lights" meant that someone was acknowledging that you weren't alone, or possibly that they were trying to warn you of the path ahead. In either case, the lyrics are still powerful.

I know the feeling of being on a desolate highway late at night with black metal playing all too well. Driving hundreds of kilometers daily to work and back, and even further on the weekends just to get out of town. Highway 63 boasts the title as one of Alberta's deadliest highways. Once you get so far out of town (North or South) it becomes pitch black, barren and icy. The second time I listened to the song, when I really absorbed the lyrics, I was driving down HWY 63. I got a chill listening to it.

Also, I have to agree with David. There's not too many bands that have lyrics worth paying attention to. Many bands today have lyrics that are too influenced by the genre of music they play. I can't think of a single black metal band that has lyrics as introverted and meaningful as Woods of Ypres.

This may be a benchmark in lyric writing. Maybe soon we'll have country singers writing death metal lyrics. Who knows?

Dammit, I think I was there a few years ago. I don't completely remember, but I did take a picture of a giant loonie somewhere in Ontario. I do believe there was also a bunch of giant geese and a giant nickel somewhere along the way.