Thyrfing: Valdr Galga

thespectralsorrows

Metal Lord
Jun 19, 2002
Laurel, MD USA
groups.yahoo.com
Swedish Viking lord's Thyrfing released their second epic titled
Valdr Galga in 1999 on Hammerheart records. Valdr Galga was recorded at Abyss Studio B with Tommy Tagtgren and has a very good mix and overall sound quality. The digipak features a wonderful wrap around cover showing a Viking meal with traditional outfits and styles of that time. This talented 5 piece consists of vocalist Thomas Vaananen, guitarist Patrik Lindgren, bassist Kimmy Sjolund, drummer Jocke Kristensson and synthesizers by Peter Lof.

Prelude: Heading For The Golden Hall/Storms of Asgard opens with symphonic metal a bit similar to Bal-Sagoth. The song also features blackened vocals an epic atmosphere and a couple Viking roars. Epic and powerful with some fury yet numerous sounds are the mighty From Wilderness Came Death. Askans Rike mixes slower beats with melodic synth and rough vocals for continued great epic black/Viking metal. Track 4 is the title track Valdr Galga and features some wind pipe instruments floating in with the distorted guitar and mid-pace beat at times. The Deceitful is a bit more sporadic in sound with a lot
of piano overtop, kind of strange due to that, but it certainly has
it's kick ass moments. Arising is a song to the warriors of the
Norse land and those who enjoy dynamic black metal such as
Borknagar. Firever is symphonic and also contains some added
aggression and faster beats with raw vocals and time changes. A
Moment In Valhalla tells the story of a Viking heaven where the food and drink never end for those brave warriors who are no longer among the living. Mimer's Well ploughs forward at a mid-pace, showing a raw edge of crushing guitars and raucous vocals. Melodic black metal similar to Dimmu Borgir opens A Great Man's Return before it changes to a more Borknagar type sound as this song beckons the return of omnipotent Odin.

This album is my favorite of Viking Metal and simply one of my
favorites overall, as I never tire of it. I love that it contains so
many sounds that meld so wonderfully together in a heavy symphonic atmosphere. This album is recommended to all that enjoy intricate heavy metal of a European nature. This album is superior to 2000's Urkraft, as well as Vansinnesvisor. If you are into Viking culture you will find the lyrics and artwork alone worth the purchase price.

http://www.hammerheart.com/
http://www.thyrfing.com

Nice review, and welcome.

It's also a timely one, as many of the lads & ladies around here seem to be obsessed with
viking.gif
imagery, culture & inspired music. Yours truly is included. In fact, Thyrfing's my favorite goddamned band these days, and "Valdr Galga" was the first CD I got by them. Your high recommendation is dead on, but you must also grab "Urkraft," which to me is their best thus far (haven't heard the new one yet)! :headbang:

I agree that Valdr Galga was superior to Urkraft. Then again, I'm not too much of a Thyrfing fan. I prefer Moonsorrow for my drunken viking metal for some reason.

Good review though

Falkenbach is still my favorite viking metal band.
Primordial is the best Pagan metal band and Cruachan(Tuatha Na Gael) is the best black folk metal.

Yes, actually i listened to Reawakening...last night and I must say it was damn good. The first listen didn't do anything for me, but then it clicked. Reawakening...is definitely second in the black folk metal subgenre only to Tuatha Na Gael IMO.

Waylander's second one is not near as good as the first one.