markgugs said:
FWIW, my favorite tracks are:

#2 (#3 on the back of the album) - From Wilderness Came Death
#4 (#5 on the back) - Valdr Galga
#5 (#6 on the back) - The Deceitful
#6 (#7 on the back) - Arising
#8 (#9 on the back) - A Moment In Valhalla
#9 (#10 on the back) - Mimer's Well

Also, there is NO song I'd say is worse than 8/10, it's just another great album! :headbang:

Does no one love "A Great Man's Return"? Holy shit that track slays.

I'm going to revist Urkraft next, and then the new one.

I've listened to a lot of Primordial and Moonsorrow this year, so that only means one thing after Thyrfing....onto The Chasm.... :heh:

JayKeeley said:
I'm going to revist Urkraft next, and then the new one.

I've listened to a lot of Primordial and Moonsorrow this year, so that only means one thing after Thyrfing....onto The Chasm.... :heh:

:headbang: Damn good choices...

all thyrfing's early stuff is a jolly good time. i really enjoy Hednaland and the debut is great too

haha, JayK and The CHasm. I await the analysis. Heavy Fucking Metal of Death. :kickass:

JayKeeley said:
I feel like I'm cramming for a test. I'm good as far as Primordial is concerned. I'm pretty good in respect to November's Doom. Moonsorrow I like, I just need to spend some more time with their stuff. Thyrfing has yet to click for me. That said, I'm digging "Valdr Galga" more than "Urkraft".

By the way, in respect to Moonsorrow, how strong is their catalog prior to their last two CDs?

Zod

General Zod said:
By the way, in respect to Moonsorrow, how strong is their catalog prior to their last two CDs?

Buy or die. "Voimasta Ja Kunniasta" is at least tied with the new one and is still my favorite viking metal record of all time. Musical evolution (in a very good way) is prevalent on their latest release, no question about it, but damn if "Voimasta...." doesn't have some of the most memorable songs in the genre. It starts off strong and just keeps getting better and better. It's definitely more of a "drunken metal bliss" type album, but that's not to say it's without focus either.

"Suden Uni" is also a very good album that I need to listen to more of as it was a late purchase for me by them, even though the album came out prior to "Voimasta...". It's their debut album remastered and includes a 40 minute live set of the band playing at the Tuska Open Air in Finland in 2004. Well worth owning.

I wouldn't bother with their earliest work "Tama ikuinen talvi". Not that it doesn't have it's charm, but with poorer production and no standout tracks it just serves as an early release for the completist or diehard fan.

Dark One said:
I wouldn't bother with their earliest work "Tama ikuinen talvi". Not that it doesn't have it's charm, but with poorer production and no standout tracks it just serves as an early release for the completist or diehard fan.
Ugh... It's their best... It's also not the earliest work; it is the second demo. "Metsä" rules.

I'd like to think it is, but either way I am pretty sure I have the right to express my opinion that Tämä Ikuinen Talvi is QUITE worth bothering with, eh.

Erik said:
Ugh... It's their best... It's also not the earliest work; it is the second demo. "Metsä" rules.

Ugh....it's their earliest work that is readily available, I don't find it to be particularly memorable and the production is terrible, which I know is something that matters to Zod.

Metsa may rule, but I've never seen it available anywhere.

Dark One said:
Ugh....it's their earliest work that is readily available, I don't find it to be particularly memorable and the production is terrible, which I know is something that matters to Zod.
Fair enough. I think it's very far from terrible production-wise, but you have a point that Zod might not like it because you can hear some tape hiss (GASP) and the vocals are kinda nekro. Musically it's very coherent and flows well, something that their later work sometimes is not, and I like to think that most songs are rather memorable. Nice Emperor/Enslaved worship.

Dark One said:
Metsa may rule, but I've never seen it available anywhere.
They have had it as a free download on their official website (although the link is down for the moment) for the longest time, if you're not as cool as me and own the original tape. It is NEKRO and not for wimps.

Holy shit I expressed my opinion on a discussion board what the fuck bring out the sarcasm to quell this unacceptable uprising of dissenting opinion

Erik said:
They have had it as a free download on their official website (although the link is down for the moment) for the longest time, if you're not as cool as me and own the original tape. It is NEKRO and not for wimps.

Ok - I never noticed it there. I'd be interested in hearing it I suppose.