Thyrfing - Valdr Galga

JayKeeley said:
I guess there are people who like St Vitus, The Obsessed, and Solitute Aeternus but completely dismiss Black Sabbath. Can that be true?
I love that first Kingdom Come CD, dig Whitesnake and love Bandlands yet don't care for Led Zepplin.

Zod

My girlfriend was playing this in the car today. Pretty good stuff, reminds me of the Monkey Island soundtrack, no joke. In fact it lead into a conversation about how Steel Drums rule.

I've been going through all my Thyrfing albums today...lord, this fucking band rules.

Hednaland (although it came out in 1999, it's really just their 1995 & 1996 demos re-packaged for 'official' release) - a couple of throwaways, but it's great raw viking metal and has a couple of tracks w/ their original singer (nowhere near as good as Thomas IMO) - 8/10

s/t - good gawd, how did I not remember how fucken good this album is? There isn't a single weak track, for serious. And several MUST HEAR classics. 9.5/10

On Valdr Galga now...

Then have I got the wrong songs listed then I wonder....? I'll have to revisit tonight and see if the songs I picked as my faves were labelled correctly. (I was listening in the car so no lyrics were at hand).

Album listing:

Heading for the Golden Hall
Storms of Asgard
From Wilderness Came Death
etc

where Storms... is #1 has thrown me off. :loco:

FWIW, my favorite tracks are:

#2 (#3 on the back of the album) - From Wilderness Came Death
#4 (#5 on the back) - Valdr Galga
#5 (#6 on the back) - The Deceitful
#6 (#7 on the back) - Arising
#8 (#9 on the back) - A Moment In Valhalla
#9 (#10 on the back) - Mimer's Well

Also, there is NO song I'd say is worse than 8/10, it's just another great album! :headbang:

markgugs said:
Also, there is NO song I'd say is worse than 8/10, it's just another great album! :headbang:

Yeah, song names aside, the entire album is masterful.

By the way, if the s/t is a 9.5/10, how would you score Valdr Galga? (The reason I ask is that I haven't heard any Thyrfing pre-Valdr Galga).

I actually just finished it up as a refresher, and I'd rate Valdr Galga just slightly below the s/t, which I was surprised myself to see.

The s/t debut is ROCKING and more headbanging, and doesn't have the overabundance (IMO) of the keys. Still a great album, don't get me wrong, but they did go a tad too key-heavy for me. They right everything by Urkraft though, so it's all good. :cool: