The Viking Metal Artform - Roundtable Banter

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
OK lots to discuss in this topic obviously, but I just want to start off with WINDIR (based on the interest in the 'contenders for 2003' thread). The first thing though, do WINDIR technically qualify as Viking Metal per se? I wouldn't think so on the Likferd release...?

Likferd is my only experience with WINDIR so far, but I am intrigued nonetheless. In fact, I'd like to hear some of their earlier stuff.

109104.jpg

Three things stand out about Likferd, which I'll elaborate on in an eventual review, but here's a summary:

1 - When they want to be aggressive, they can really go for it. Grim vocals galore, drum blasts in your face, immensely strong riffs that take from both black and traditional 'heavy metal' - perhaps in the same way latter day IMMORTAL did. Pretty cool.

2 - When they want to slow things down, the music becomes instantly likeable - vocals become clean and harmonized, and at times chant-like (a la THYRFING on Valdr Galga). The guitars play well together with just a hint of keyboards as and when needed.

3 - Most noticeably, it sounds like these guys are having fun with a whole host of instruments and time changes, and there are even moments of polka. Definitely a big FINNTROLL thing going on here, so beware if you don't like FINNTROLL...I happen to love the Trolls.

So again I'm not so sure that Likferd is specifically Viking metal, but it would probably appeal to fans of the genre either way. Nordic folk metal with songs like "On the Mountain of Goats", heh.

And if you're going to sample one song, download "Martyrium" - it is phenomenal. That song alone is worthy of discussion.

Alright you bastards, no way does a Viking thread stay ignored in the RC forum!! That's borderline blasphemy.

List your top three Viking bands and their best albums. So many to choose from:

Enslaved, Bathory, Mithotyn, Falkenbach, Thyrfing, Moonsorrow, Amon Amarth, Himinbjorg...

I'm going to have to search my collection, but I don't think I have anything that qualifies... *feels cold and lonely*

1. Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood
2. Graveland - Immortal Pride
3. Falkenbach - ...en their medh kiki fara...

Hey Dreamlord! You're breaking the rules! 'Twas "your top three viking metal bands and your favourite album by each!"
:p

Personally I wouldn't call Graveland "viking metal", mostly because no matter how much he twists his history, Mr. Darken just doesn't have viking heritage. But the epic sound common to viking metal is certainly there.

oops, I read Jay's post wrong.

yeah, I'm going by sound, because as much as I love his music, Darken is a twit.

1. Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood
2. Falkenbach - ...en their medh kiki fara...
3. Enslaved - Eld

Yea Gravelands Following the Voice of Blood Definetley comes number one for me to. then would be Bathorys Hammerheart, and Either Frost, Eld or Vikinglir Veldi from Enslaved.

Dreamlord said:
yeah, I'm going by sound, because as much as I love his music, Darken is a twit.

I need to get more Graveland - and it looks like evilmusic.com is the place to go for me now that BWD got his Graveland collection sorted. Thankfully we have the other thread where you guys listed the 'must haves' for Graveland...I'll revisit.

@Dreamlord - you prefer the Falkenbach debut over magni blandinn, eh? Interesting....

phyre said:
1. Bathory, "Hammerheart"
2. Enslaved, "Vikingligr Veldi"
3. Helheim, "Jormundgand"

Surprised not to see any Falkenbach in your list Erik, but there is lots to choose from I suppose...

Actually, would you guys even consider Falkenbach to be Viking, especially since Vakyas goes out of his way to reference Asatru as his main theme (as opposed to 'just' Viking)?

OK, here is mine (assuming Falkenbach is ok):

1 - Falkenbach - ..Magni Blandinn ok Megintiri..
2 - Mithotyn - Gathered Around the Oaken Table
3 - Moonsorrow - Voimasta Ja Ki Aniasta

I would like to mention Sorrow Throughout Nine Worlds by Amon Amarth, but truth be known, I would probably list this in my top three Death metal albums, not strict Viking.

JayKeeley said:
Surprised not to see any Falkenbach in your list Erik, but there is lots to choose from I suppose...
Well, those I listed are better as far as I'm concerned... That Helheim album is one very overlooked totally classic album (for further praise of that album refer to my review of it on RC) and Bathory and Enslaved are just... non-overlooked classics. ;) If I was to make a top 5, though, Falkenbach "...En Medh Their Riki Fara..." would be in there somewhere.

JayKeeley said:
@Dreamlord - you prefer the Falkenbach debut over magni blandinn, eh? Interesting....
When I first got magni blandin, I was blown away to be honest. It sounded like a more refined, cleaner, and better vocalled Bathory. Then I got the debut and was like "meh". I later came back to Falkenbach and found magni blandinn somewhat boring because all the songs sound similar. Then I started playing the debut a lot and loved it, especially the opener and the third track.
2 - Mithotyn - Gathered Around the Oaken Table
Yeah, I found this to be Mithotyn's best. Call me crazy, but I found "Old Rover" to be the best song on there. Something about it gets my blood pumping.

Dreamlord said:
When I first got magni blandin, I was blown away to be honest. It sounded like a more refined, cleaner, and better vocalled Bathory. Then I got the debut and was like "meh". I later came back to Falkenbach and found magni blandinn somewhat boring because all the songs sound similar. Then I started playing the debut a lot and loved it, especially the opener and the third track.
I can pretty much agree with all of this, except I ain't buying any of that bullshit about Quorthon's vocals being subpar.

I need to get back to that Falkenbach debut - I've done the same where the second release got more airplay and for some reason, the debut took a backseat. Time to pull it out of the archives....

So you guys would consider Falkenbach to be Viking then?

By the way, if anyone is interested, The End just got a nice haul in.....ooh la la, Isengard, Windir, Of the Wand and the Moon.....

1. Bathory - Blood On Ice
2. Bathory - Hammerheart
3. Bathory - Twilight Of The Gods

I think these are the only Viking albums I have :eek: :lol:

phyre said:
www.wolfcult.com

They also have Helheim's second demo tape which is excellent and rather rare, so get it while you can. Picking up "Av Norrøn Ætt" would be wise too.

Done. That site made my head spin - so many bands I've never heard of. Certainly seems like a very thorough collection. Thanks for that.

Ayeka said:
1. Bathory - Blood On Ice
2. Bathory - Hammerheart
3. Bathory - Twilight Of The Gods

I think these are the only Viking albums I have :eek: :lol:
Get yourself some Falkenbach and Einherjer. You would love Norweigian Native Art.

(I can't believe I forgot to mention Einherjer in this thread - they are one of my favorite bands. I have everything they've done except the demo. :Smug: ) EDIT: I don't have LEVE VIKINGÅNDEN... :(

NEW EINHERJER ALBUM COMING OUT SEPT. 15th:

blot150.jpg