Windir Appreciation Thread

I'm a huge Windir fan.

As a sidenote, I neither like Cor Scorpii nor Mistur. Their music is nothing like Windir's. It's like comparing Dissection to Watain (another common comparison that just doesn't make any fucking sense to me).

The only project that come close to emulating Valfar's songwriting genius is Sakna.

Every Windir fan should listen to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
holy shit man thanks for that! ^ Fuckin awesome, do they have any albums or eps out? I can't find them on encyclopeida metallum.

To figure on encyclopedia metallum, a band has to have at least one release (a demo at the very least). Sakna is a project of one man, who supposedly wrote and album, then suicided. Only two tracks were somehow leaked.

I got the 'W' on my right shoulder on January 14th of 2007 - which is the 3rd anniversary of his death - and the first year i was 18 and legally able to get it done.

they are and will always be one of my favorite bands. From start to finish I love everything about them. How when it was originally just Valfar on the demos...no matter how epically raw and horrible they sound I still love them.. Dans Pa Stemmehaugen is one of my favorite songs...to the way he progressed his talents and that fucking epic tribal drum solo/cowboy yelp in the middle of Arntor...
And then the integration of his buddies from Ulcus to make the fantastic albums 1184 and Likferd.

Unlike most bands these days you can see the natural progression of musicianship with Windir...it's not unnatural and jumping around all over the place (a la Ulver).

Windir is one of the very few bands where I can actually feel the raw emotions put into the song writing when I listen to them. On par with what I feel when I listen to Agalloch. Those 2 bands (along with Moonsorrow) basically ruled my entire music collection from junior high (6th grade) up until my early college life when freshman year i dove head first into the grind/death genres.

It's hard to pick a favorite song or even album by him/them but by default 1184 wins because 1184 is top 5 albums of all time material for me

oh and of course...

...Heidra Valfar.

I'm a huge Windir fan.

As a sidenote, I neither like Cor Scorpii nor Mistur. Their music is nothing like Windir's. It's like comparing Dissection to Watain (another common comparison that just doesn't make any fucking sense to me).

The only project that come close to emulating Valfar's songwriting genius is Sakna.

Every Windir fan should listen to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiDOHLfjrS0

I guess achieving the ultimate sognametal sound is a curse that eventually results in death :(