The Viking Metal Artform - Roundtable Banter

ReDilS.kCalB said:
Sure 1184 & Likferd are good but Windir = Arntor , it's the only one you need if you're not in love with them
I'll have to agree that it's their best album musically, though 1184 works just as well for filling you with the spirit that makes Viking metal so addictive and kicking your ass at the same time. Falkenbach definitely succeeds on the level of pure atmosphere, their music invokes images of sailing through the fjords...

I've heard the two latest Falkenbach albums. I liked Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty, the usage of acoustic guitars makes the album sound rather interesting.

Fagning of Likferd is such an awesome song. It's one of those songs where I just can't stop myself from headbanging. It's so fucking metal. I've had that album for a while, and the other Windir albums are on my wantlist.

Amazingly, I don't own any Enslaved. I've heard MP3s, and they too are on my wantlist, but for some reason have never purchased anything. I'm certain I would like them though.

Best viking metal album = Hammerheart of course.

i recently found Mithotyn's King of the Distant Forest used for cheap. i think it was the Death Records re-issue. man, this album is really great. ive lost touch with black metal this year, so maybe it just scratched me where i itch, but those leads are wonderful.

i found Falconer to be inferior.

Mithotyn is great, check out their first album In the Sign of Ravens if you haven't. :kickass: