MEGADETH: The Official RC Roundtable

Not that I didn't believe you, but I figured if I was spending money on The Worst of Megadeth, might as well complete the picture.

Motopsycho is the only song I could listen to all the way through, but that's only because it's short and was over before I reached for the controls. :D

NAD said:
Motopsycho is the only song I could listen to all the way through, but that's only because it's short and was over before I reached for the controls. :D

It was the song they released as a single as well. The video featured...motorbikes. All very geigh really.

Listened to So Far So Good So What last night for the first time in 10 years. Opinion still stands, that album sucks.

Hidden Treasures is great though, but I've always loved Angry Again and 99 Ways to Die. Oh yeah, and their version of Paranoid is classic just because Nick forgot the song ends and Dave has to yell at him to stop playing.

NAD said:
Listened to So Far So Good So What last night for the first time in 10 years. Opinion still stands, that album sucks.

Come on, elaborate. I totally respect your opinion, but you've got to give me some time of day if you say SFSGSW sucks. :)

Hidden Treasures is great though, but I've always loved Angry Again and 99 Ways to Die. Oh yeah, and their version of Paranoid is classic just because Nick forgot the song ends and Dave has to yell at him to stop playing.

Yeah I like Hidden Treasures. The first solo that Friedman rips out on Breakpoint is jaw-dropping. It's one of those tid-bit solos that makes you wanna turn up the volume.

And please have the decency to comment on the last two minutes of Go to Hell!!! Come on, that is guitar heaven and hell! :cool:

By the way, although Megadeth's version of Paranoid was ok, I actually preferred their cover of Never Say Die on NiB2. It's a fun summertime song, you know?

Yeah, the Never Say Die was better, Paranoid just had the funny ending. I'll pay more attention to Hidden Treasures soon, I sort of skipped through it last night.

Okay here's why I don't like SFSGSW (great time saving acronym!):
1) The lyrics are terrible. Dave never had the greatest anyway, but these are even bad for him.
2) No Chris Poland or Gar Samuelson. Those dudes epitomized 80s era Megadeth as much as Mustaine and Ellefson did.
3) The riffs are awkward. They aren't simplified like late 90s Megadeth, but none of them are really very memorable.
4) The Anarchy in the UK cover as the 2nd track is just a bad idea, throws off the whole mood of the album, because Into the Lungs of Hell is actually pretty good!

It is never fair to say "this album sucks" unless it is truly terrible, so I shouldn't have said that. Considering it is a highly weak effort sandwitched between 2 great albums before and 2 great albums afterwards though, I just find it very disappointing.

I'm with bloodfiredeath on this one. I just don't get all the hype Megadeth used to enjoy.

Peace Sells..., and So Far, So Good... had their moments but not nearly enough of them.

Rust in Peace is like 80's Metallica, overrated to beat hell. Freidman's solos have too much wank and not enough*umph* to them.

I did enjoy some songs on Countdown and also on Hidden Treasures. Cryptic was blah. Risk sucked.

Youthanasia was pretty good, but had half good, half filler.

I don't miss Megadeth one bit, really.

NAD said:
1) The lyrics are terrible. Dave never had the greatest anyway, but these are even bad for him.

I guess they are very 80's. Liar and 502 are kind of funny. I thought the lyrics to Darkest Hour, Mary Jane, and Hook in Mouth were ok actually. In My Darkest Hour is Megadeth-supreme. I know it's been played to death perhaps, but nevertheless, it's a blinding song.

2) No Chris Poland or Gar Samuelson. Those dudes epitomized 80s era Megadeth as much as Mustaine and Ellefson did.

Agreed. SFSGSW is very much a vehicle for a drugged-up Mustaine and his guitar wizardry, but I appreciate his talents so I don't mind. I think he shines on Mary Jane though. It's a nice performance follow up to Wake Up Dead.

3) The riffs are awkward. They aren't simplified like late 90s Megadeth, but none of them are really very memorable.

Megadeth were the most technical amongst their peers (Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax). I thought the dumbed down riffs of the 90's was their greatest pitfall.

4) The Anarchy in the UK cover as the 2nd track is just a bad idea,

Agreed - it's horrible! No US band should be singing about the Queen and "other cunt like tendencies". Just doesn't work. It did work well live but that's because of the song nostalgia, not the band. Any band that plays Anarchy live will be hardpressed not to stir some crowd reaction - and so it's pretty cheap for a band to put it on an album. Save it for the live shows.

It is never fair to say "this album sucks" unless it is truly terrible, so I shouldn't have said that. Considering it is a highly weak effort sandwitched between 2 great albums before and 2 great albums afterwards though, I just find it very disappointing.

I'm sorry to hear that. I think it's pretty solid. Hey just for fun, get the lyrics out and try singing along to that verse in Liar. See if you can do it in one breath. :cool:

Okay that verse is definitely cool.

Green Jellö did a great version of Anarchy in the UK, the changed the lyrics and sang about Bedrock, it was pretty funny.